Toronto Homeshow 2013 ( Prize / Scam ?)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 12:03 pm
Nov 27, 2013
2 posts
1 upvote
stevenk00 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2013 4:32 pm
Cachet pulling the same crap from the Gentleman's Expo this past weekend. They are buying your name off the ballots you fill out from the vendors at the show.
Speaking on behalf of The Gentlemen's Expo, they are most certainly not getting names from the official TGE prize ballots that were attached to your ticket / passport.

Those entries have not yet been data-entered and are still sitting in a bag in the office.
Nov 15, 2003
485 posts
8 upvotes
SteveComrie wrote:
Nov 28th, 2013 8:53 pm
Speaking on behalf of The Gentlemen's Expo, they are most certainly not getting names from the official TGE prize ballots that were attached to your ticket / passport.

Those entries have not yet been data-entered and are still sitting in a bag in the office.
only other box i filled my info at besides this was near the entrance for a home depot (i think) chance to win a GC from them. I got a call from them too.
"Damn you! You're one of them aren't you! What are they paying you? I'll double it! I'll give you whatever you want! Money, women...men?"
Nov 27, 2013
2 posts
1 upvote
cho it up wrote:
Nov 29th, 2013 2:03 pm
only other box i filled my info at besides this was near the entrance for a home depot (i think) chance to win a GC from them. I got a call from them too.
Home Depot was not at the show, and this Cachet company that is calling people, is claiming to have purchased ballots from a vendor who was at the show. It's very likely that whoever this other booth that you gave your information to is the reason that you got a phone call.

Those purchased ballots were not the TGE grand prize ballots. The 20,000+ TGE ballots are 110% still in a bag, at the office, untouched since the show. Data entry on those begins next week for the purposes of building an internal contact list for next years show.
Dec 10, 2013
2 posts
I have experienced Cachet Partners Group from attendance at the Ancaster Home Show. My wife and I attended a presentation at the Monte Carlo Inn on Edwards Ave just off Hurontario, in Mississauga on October 27/13. At this event we were sweet talked and convinced to make a package purchase for a ten year term of service at a price of $2250.00. We paid $200 on the spot and agreed to finance the balance. The following day we reviewed the decision at home and contacted Cachet to advise of cancellation. The Letter of Cancellation from the ministry of Consumer & Corporate Affairs was followed and forwarded to them as well as paying for packet postage to ship the "kit" back to their offices. Under buyer's right to cancel, the company has 15 days to refund the payment. The kit was shipped out on November 1. We are now six weeks latter, two followup phone calls, an ignored email to customer service, and we are still awaiting our refund.

In my opinion, this is not worth giving them a dime. The numbers just were not adding up, nor were the deals any better than you can get if you don't take the sticker price.

Others things to note: this company is NOT registered with the BBB. This company does not respond quickly to complaints. They definitely do not abide by the law (which they print on the reverse of their contract).

The repayment was finally received on December 18th, and the cheque was dated Dec 15. It came in an envelope that had a hand written return address. WOW! can we say unprofessional.

P.S. This post is being modified after receiving a call from the company threatening legal action for using the word s__m. Bring it on!! Don't forget consumers, The sales that this company makes are subject to buyers right to cancel which is administered by the Ministry of Consumer and Corporate Affairs.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
4762 posts
338 upvotes
Probably every single person wins the trip, likely to a roach motel in Florida during low season. Most likely doesn't even include air fare so nobody will even take them up on the offer.
Dec 10, 2013
2 posts
Go to the Ministry of comsumer and corporate affairs. You only have 10 days to cancel and get a refund. You must put the cancellation in writting and email, or fax it to them. Then file a copy with the MCCR.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3606 posts
326 upvotes
Thornhill
I have experience with Cachet Partners Group Scammers and their scams. Contact Competition Bureau or Consumer Affairs(don't remember which one. They'll be able to help you out.
They have a refund policy and they MUST refund you the money.
If everything fails, take them to court. It's an easy win and you don't even need to hire a lawyer.
Jan 6, 2014
1 posts
Hi, thank you for the advice, everything is fine now, they promise us that they will give our money back, we are just waiting for it.
Oct 22, 2013
1 posts
Ajax, ON
We attended both home shows in the last month and then got a random call about being a finalist as well (guaranteed to win one of the prizes) we were suspicious and decided to check it out (couldn't hurt) as we had no idea what to expect.

Figured if we were guaranteed to win then it was worth something, in the back of our minds though we worried that they were just giving away these Florida trips to everyone.

Ended up being a really strange night, were all asked to turn our phones off as it interferes with the computers. Listened to the pitch and were really pressured to sign up on the spot, a one night "chance" or "opportunity" since we were all so "specially selected". It was too risky and we weren't ready to part with almost $8000 so we declined and they still pressured us of course. At the end of the night our prize was indeed that florida trip and we declined it, they told us it is absolutely great and we should take it so we just took the paper (figured we'd get some clues on it as to what we could search on the web regarding this company)

Unless you want to go through all that I would just ignore their calls when they ask you and your spouse to show up at a certain venue and listen to a 90 minute presentation.
Jan 19, 2008
662 posts
147 upvotes
My father almost fell for a similar scam from Joyya Internayional. Search the internet.
Feb 23, 2008
679 posts
29 upvotes
Cachet Group are tapping the people at the Baby Time Show that was held at the end of April it appears. One of the vendors at the show must be selling the list of people and I recall my mom only entering one ballot at the show show so we have an idea who leaked the information.

My mom was called by this Cachet Group saying she had won a price and she had in fact gone to the Baby show at the International Centre in Mississauga. She called me just before we sent to see her on Saturday saying she had won a prize and we talked about it on Saturday. She ended up coming our way on Sunday to see what this was about but it never even occurred that this was a scam really until more details came out and the prizes that were offered didn't really relate to the baby show.

They tell you you will win one of these 5 prizes 1) vacation getway 2) TV 3) Laptop 4) $1000 giftcard (furniture) 5) $1500 cash.

They get you into a room at a cheap hotel, tell you turn off your cell phone, and give you a 1.5-2 hour presentation about how they can give you all of these discounts on various products and services and save thousands of dollars which raised red flags (but not deals) when they said you could get trips for $499 that would cost $2000 with pricing guaranteed for 25 years for these various trips, or 2% above dealer invoice on cars, low interest rates on mortgages and consolidation of debts to lower interest rates (which you don't need them to do), etc, etc along with naming name brand companies like The Brick, banks, etc but then a lot of companies we hadn't heard of and all of these comparisons of savings, etc.

This just seemed fishy and I started to text with my S.O. as they were asking if my mom won anything and then I started looking for "cachet partners group inc reviews" which led me to this thread and I started to read about it being a scam which I started to suspect at the beginning when they brought us into sales pitch, etc. At one moment I was going to tell my mom to just get up and go instead of listening to this but just made sure she didn't sign anything to sign her life away, etc.

They wanted an investment of $7250 I believe in order to participate in the savings which screams pyramid scheme so there was no way we were getting into that but it is unfortunate we had to wait until that time to see this. I was going to get up and say this was a scam when I came across this thread but I just waited it out to see what this was all about. It seems like some people may have been convinced by this that they wanted to refinance so they could go on their next cruise, etc but one of the 5 couple could have been a plant/actors for all I know.

When they did their sales pitch and saw that we weren't interested they quickly actioned us to leave the room before the others so they could work on them and then they got us to draw a ticket out of a drum that had "#1" written on it which corresponded to the vacation getaway (which you need to pay $49 to use and it is only accommodations in a cheap ***** hotel I'm thinking and not worth the paper it is written on). I imagine that the drum only had the #1 tickets in it and nothing else and once you sign up they say sorry you only get #1.

Anyway stay away from these scammers. We are going to see how to complain to the baby show about this to prevent this from happening to others.
Dec 23, 2012
7 posts
3 upvotes
Milton
I just received the same call from Cachet, claiming that they are administrating the lucky draw on behalf of baby show/better living show. Sounds really fishy and I'm glad that I've found this forum.

Really makes you think twice now on filling out any vendor ballots in these trade shows.
Dec 28, 2010
296 posts
3 upvotes
Maple
Just got back from the presentation. Guess what we won? Trip to Florida lol
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1274 posts
277 upvotes
Paris
SteveComrie wrote:
Nov 29th, 2013 3:20 pm
Home Depot was not at the show, and this Cachet company that is calling people, is claiming to have purchased ballots from a vendor who was at the show. It's very likely that whoever this other booth that you gave your information to is the reason that you got a phone call.

Those purchased ballots were not the TGE grand prize ballots. The 20,000+ TGE ballots are 110% still in a bag, at the office, untouched since the show. Data entry on those begins next week for the purposes of building an internal contact list for next years show.
As a marketer I can confirm that these ballots will literally sit around for 1-2 weeks until you can find someone with the time to data enter them. Thank god for tablets at shows now.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Oct 28, 2005
9 posts
Toronto
Signed a ballot for the car at the 2017 Golf Show. These guys called me relentlessly for a week, so I gave in last night and showed up. They said the presentation would be approximately 80 minutes, I allocated 2 hours and then had to get on with other things. We signed in at 6:45pm and left at 9pm. We had to claw our way out at 9pm after a full on argument with the salesperson. We told him we didn't have any money we could spend on buying this $8k package and really had other things that we still had to get to the rest of the night. This is when he got rude on us saying "then why are you here wasting my time?". haha We had a 10 minute argument with us and finally said "I need to speak to my manager". We were at the back table and could just hear him rustling papers behind us in the "prize area" where we finally drew for the prize, which was .... 4 nights stay in Orlando and 3 nights in Daytona. That's fine, but their version of 4-star accommodations which were advertised in the call are actually Days Inn or "a similar motel", but they can't reveal the location until you call them and pay $25 USD for booking.

Was it worth our 2 hours? Not at all, but we got free dinner and an entertaining argument out of it.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel