• Mar 2nd, 2010 9:45 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 6, 2010
2 posts
Toronto

Toronto Hydro Time of Use Website

I have recently received an activation code for the Toronto Hydro time of use website. I am interested in signing up to view my time of use data, however, since I am not yet being charged time of use rates, I'm wondering if signing up will also change my account over to TOU billing.

I understand that activating the website account likely has absolutely not bearing as to when TOU billing comes into effect, and instead I have been sent an activation code as my next bill will probably be TOU. Thought, I thought I would ask and see what others on the forum have experienced.

Thanks.
7 replies
Sep 14, 2008
75 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
I can confirm that activating your TOU data access has no bearing on when you're TOU rates kick in. I have been looking at my consumption data for months and recently got a letter from Toronto Hydro stating that TOU rates will start effective next billing cycle. I was kind of disappointed it didn't start sooner since I would have been charged less under TOU rates.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2005
2647 posts
133 upvotes
ET4041 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2010 9:46 am
I can confirm that activating your TOU data access has no bearing on when you're TOU rates kick in. I have been looking at my consumption data for months and recently got a letter from Toronto Hydro stating that TOU rates will start effective next billing cycle. I was kind of disappointed it didn't start sooner since I would have been charged less under TOU rates.
That's not true. It's about the same charges or maybe more. If you used it during peak you will end up paying more. Only way to pay less is if you used less energy. But the fees cost more than half your usage cost.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6027 posts
968 upvotes
Mississauga
Does anyone have a picture or diagram as to how it's sectioned or divided up, for lack of a better word. In other words rather then tell you the amount your using is it more specific in that it actually tells you the ongoing rate during that time period and give you a daily total both kilawatthour, rate and dollar amount. I really don't see how I can save on TOU since for the most part when I use electricity which is mainly when I'm awake the rate it much higher and when I'm mostly asleep it's only slightly slower. Sort of like 60% higher at the peak when I need it the most and only 20% lower when I don't need it the most.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2005
2647 posts
133 upvotes
You need to do a mouse over the colour for the daily usage.

Monthly usage

Comparison cost usage
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6027 posts
968 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks alot rain, that gives me a much better idea of what it's going to look like. Will take time to become familiar with it.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3063 posts
2400 upvotes
Toronto
Maymybonneliveforever wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2010 8:37 am
Thanks alot rain, that gives me a much better idea of what it's going to look like. Will take time to become familiar with it.
Note that your Brampton Hydro TOU rates and time periods might be different than the Toronto Hydro rates. I think the current non-TOU rates are already a little bit different between the two utility companies. So I wouldn't spend too much time analyzing the Toronto Hydro rates and times until Brampton sets theirs. It should be close, but who knows?
× < >