Automotive

Toronto man raises privacy concerns after BMW dealership employee turns off his dashcams - twice

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 11:42 am
51 replies
Apr 29, 2017
392 posts
528 upvotes
Does he have yellow racing stripes on his BMW? I'm on the techs side, he wanted all evidence of being in that bumbleMW erased from history
Mar 17, 2006
489 posts
220 upvotes
Maybe the dude should get an additional dash cam pointed at his other dash cams so he could monitor what's going on with them.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3102 posts
529 upvotes
Markham, ON
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 6:58 am
Hardwire FTW.
Even hardwired, they can simply unplug the power cable from the dashcam or any technician can simply unplug from the fuse panel.

This would be adding a second layer as it prevents it from being unplugged, formatted or having the memory card removed on BlackVue dashcams: https://www.blackvue.com/product/tamper-proof-case/ The only option is to unplug from the fuse panel or use an allen wrench to unlock it. Unfortunately, nothing is 100% fool proof.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8949 posts
5242 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
I dunno, devil's advocate: would you want a business client to come to your workplace and work cubicle and place a camera with video and audio recording everything you're doing?

I get it as a dash cam owner, I don't want them touching my stuff, and I want to know what their doing to my car, however, on the flip side, it's private property and you are invading someone's work space without their permission.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Oct 2, 2017
583 posts
382 upvotes
the camera shouldn't be on in their garage.
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28834 posts
14636 upvotes
Ottawa
EnyCe wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:37 am
Even hardwired, they can simply unplug the power cable from the dashcam or any technician can simply unplug from the fuse panel.

This would be adding a second layer as it prevents it from being unplugged, formatted or having the memory card removed on BlackVue dashcams: https://www.blackvue.com/product/tamper-proof-case/ The only option is to unplug from the fuse panel or use an allen wrench to unlock it. Unfortunately, nothing is 100% fool proof.
My secondary measure, would be be to point the rear dashcam forward, which is obscured enough at the rear hatch that they might be not even notice it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28834 posts
14636 upvotes
Ottawa
chimaican wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:58 am
I dunno, devil's advocate: would you want a business client to come to your workplace and work cubicle and place a camera with video and audio recording everything you're doing?

I get it as a dash cam owner, I don't want them touching my stuff, and I want to know what their doing to my car, however, on the flip side, it's private property and you are invading someone's work space without their permission.
All they have to do is ask and as a consumer we can give them permission to turn it off, or take the car elsewhere.
The act of sneaking around and doing things inside a customer's vehicle without permission, will be continue two give them a bad rap.
Oct 24, 2016
581 posts
405 upvotes
ON
I would be concerned more for the car if I had to take it to the dealership twice in a matter of two weeks. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11504 posts
4845 upvotes
Toronto
i'd be fine with the technician turning it off, but he shouldn't have deleted the files.

And frankly, if the car owner is worried about the privacy of his family's conversations, he should have just removed the internal camera and/or the memory card.
May 21, 2009
122 posts
138 upvotes
Canada
Swerny wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:30 am
i'd be fine with the technician turning it off, but he shouldn't have deleted the files.

And frankly, if the car owner is worried about the privacy of his family's conversations, he should have just removed the internal camera and/or the memory card.
Agreed. I actually swap a formatted lower capacity card in after I parked it for servicing and leave the option for to them to turn off or not. I tell them the camera is there for my protection when driving and it’s their choice but I encourage it to be on during test drives for the same reason (and hoping they don’t bag on the car)

It’s hard to trust dealerships, but I respect their privacy as naive as that may be. Yeah it would be fun to spy on what happens to your car, but I dunno, doesn’t feel right.

Had mixed results with this, sometimes all the footage is there and others it’s only on for the test drive or they just unplugged it right away and left it unplugged.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28834 posts
14636 upvotes
Ottawa
ordered_chaos wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:01 am
Agreed. I actually swap a formatted lower capacity card in after I parked it for servicing and leave the option for to them to turn off or not. I tell them the camera is there for my protection when driving and it’s their choice but I encourage it to be on during test drives for the same reason (and hoping they don’t bag on the car)

It’s hard to trust dealerships, but I respect their privacy as naive as that may be. Yeah it would be fun to spy on what happens to your car, but I dunno, doesn’t feel right.

Had mixed results with this, sometimes all the footage is there and others it’s only on for the test drive or they just unplugged it right away and left it unplugged.
I have dashcam footage from a very large dealership here in Ottawa, that charged me for services that were never performed.
It was escalated all the way up to the owner of the dealership, who acknowledged my findings and wanted to do everything to make it right, but I simply asked them to not contact me again and we went on our way.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12513 posts
8678 upvotes
Richmond Hill
prochargedv8 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:14 am
Does he have yellow racing stripes on his BMW? I'm on the techs side, he wanted all evidence of being in that bumbleMW erased from history
Looks like a douchemobile with those stripes LOL

BMW owners are some of the tackiest out there, especially the ones with the horrible BMW Motorsports stripes plastered across the fender...actually anywhere on the car
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11812 posts
6110 upvotes
Toronto
ur_too_crazy wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:20 am
Maybe the dude should get an additional dash cam pointed at his other dash cams so he could monitor what's going on with them.
Yes!
final_5c38adc85620680013e102af_448555.jpg
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯