Automotive

Toronto man raises privacy concerns after BMW dealership employee turns off his dashcams - twice

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 11:42 am
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2478 posts
2497 upvotes
Vancouver
I'll bet book-time during service play a part. Tech's that get paid this way are enticed to work faster. Customer gets charged 4 hours for a job, but the tech really only needs 2.5. The footage would be evidence of this.

Like that video of the MB S63 going for Frosties. The owner commented (and demonstrated) that the tech only worked on his car for 10 minutes (before going for ice cream in it).
Last edited by derass on Jan 11th, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 16, 2011
996 posts
666 upvotes
HAMILTON
As part of the service agreement, dealerships and repair shops should simply include statements that video taping is prohibited unless there is prior approval in writing.

You know, I can appreciate don't trust dealerships, etc, but their employees are entitled to just as much privacy at the work place as you are. Who knows if the next clown is going to post their dash cam footage on u tube etc...

If you cannot trust the person doing the work, then you should not be taking your vehicle there to get the work done there.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8638 posts
6281 upvotes
Markham
Well just for people's knowledge, Pfaff VW in Newmarket does this too. They unplug the dashcams.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6498 posts
5086 upvotes
North York
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:28 am
I have dashcam footage from a very large dealership here in Ottawa, that charged me for services that were never performed.
It was escalated all the way up to the owner of the dealership, who acknowledged my findings and wanted to do everything to make it right, but I simply asked them to not contact me again and we went on our way.
I would have said I want a car half price
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11778 posts
11426 upvotes
Oakville
If the guy doesn't trust the dealer (and I don't blame him), then he should take it somewhere he trusts or DIY. Nobody wants a camera pointed at them while they work. The only real concern here is that the mechanic deleted files from his SD card. The guy could install actual hidden cameras if he's that paranoid.

His cameras are also stupidly setup. Huge cameras blocking half his view right in the middle of the windshield. Cops should give him a ticket for obstructing his view.

Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6353 posts
1851 upvotes
ur_too_crazy wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:20 am
Maybe the dude should get an additional dash cam pointed at his other dash cams so he could monitor what's going on with them.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8974 posts
5249 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Guy drives a BMW and owns crappy brand dash cams.

Maybe his cams would not have been touched if they were smaller instead if being in ya face. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11778 posts
11426 upvotes
Oakville
engineered wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:57 am
If the guy doesn't trust the dealer (and I don't blame him), then he should take it somewhere he trusts or DIY. Nobody wants a camera pointed at them while they work. The only real concern here is that the mechanic deleted files from his SD card. The guy could install actual hidden cameras if he's that paranoid.

His cameras are also stupidly setup. Huge cameras blocking half his view right in the middle of the windshield. Cops should give him a ticket for obstructing his view.

I can also see he has a vent mount for his phone (fine) and another in the top left corner of his windshield. Is this guy Uber driving with his yellow stripped BMW? All he needs is a forehead mounted GoPro and he's set.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
3182 posts
1175 upvotes
GTA
I don’t think it’s an issue of “change dealerships if you think they’re shady”. You should be able to take your car to an authorized dealership without the fear of them doing something.

There was an event where a guy took his Type R to get serviced and a young tech took the car out, picked up a girl to impress her all while not knowing how to drive manual. He grinded those gears like crazy. Young tech was actually just dumb enough to not even take off the dash cam.

Prior to this though, the BMW owner should have advised that he has a dash cam and that he would like it to be on and if he was unhappy with their answer of “No”, then choose another dealership.

Techs are in the business of doing work for customers that put their trust in them. There have been too many incidents to occur with dealerships and this is why people have dashcams. Not very far from why police have body cams (if they choose to keep it on or off is their choice)
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21084 posts
10545 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I unplug my dashcams when taking it in for any type of service, out of respect for the shop.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1889 posts
386 upvotes
Calgary
What a knob. He's right this is a privacy issue, but not his.

He has no right to record people while they are working.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10469 posts
4673 upvotes
Brampton
You just know they yanked one out in his car.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16920 posts
4607 upvotes
Toronto
First mistake dude made was taking his car to a dealership. Noob.
Oct 21, 2018
131 posts
39 upvotes
I wonder if he was casing the joint. That guy gives off a bad vibe.
Dec 20, 2006
387 posts
125 upvotes
I had a similar experience at Audi Midtown. The technician unplugged my cam which I had no issue with. In my opinion, there should be basic privacy free from surveillance in the workplace.

What I did have issue with was that they didn't plug it back in after they were done. I didn't notice until after I got home that my cam was off which left me exposed on my drive home.

Thankfully nothing happened and the only reason why I went to the dealership was for the first free oil change, so never again.
the internet is serious business.