Automotive

Toronto man raises privacy concerns after BMW dealership employee turns off his dashcams - twice

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 11:42 am
Nov 21, 2017
396 posts
153 upvotes
Surrey BC
what a bunch of crap. aren't service bays under video surveillance anyway.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1092 posts
346 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:47 am
Looks like a douchemobile with those stripes LOL

BMW owners are some of the tackiest out there, especially the ones with the horrible BMW Motorsports stripes plastered across the fender...actually anywhere on the car
Wait, what? You're telling me this simple $25 modification doesn't add an extra 75hrseprs to that I6??Face With Tears Of Joy

Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1510 posts
913 upvotes
Saudi Arabia
rsang39 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:00 am
Wait, what? You're telling me this simple $25 modification doesn't add an extra 75hrseprs to that I6??Face With Tears Of Joy

That only adds +5 hp bro. My 320i debadge and M-performance badge addition added 200 hp. I'm now in M3 territory.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
10624 posts
5755 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Man that is so tacky
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15759 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
How about privacy concerns for the BMW workers? LOL.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2545 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
Not only do I see those tri-coloured M grills everywhere nowadays, the trend lately seems to be sticking these gigantic 'M PERFORMANCE' decals across the windshield or on the sideskirt or rear bumper of the car.

God awful.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7803 posts
1061 upvotes
Toronto
azmongold wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:00 am
the camera shouldn't be on in their garage.
This way you cannot see whether work was done or not but you were charged for.
Just like in the olden days.;)
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1092 posts
346 upvotes
marcsterr wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:09 am
Not only do I see those tri-coloured M grills everywhere nowadays, the trend lately seems to be sticking these gigantic 'M PERFORMANCE' decals across the windshield or on the sideskirt or rear bumper of the car.

God awful.

I saw this type of decal on a 2nd gen X3 and proceeded to laugh uncontrollably .
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2943 posts
1670 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
The funny thing is, those M Performance decals and parts and tricolor M grille can be had as a factory accessory LOL.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1257 posts
828 upvotes
When the car's in the shop, if they are concerned, all they have to do is put some paper/cardboard on the windshield. They don't have to unplug or touch the camera.

If on a road test, drive properly.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1684 posts
1308 upvotes
billford wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:45 am
When the car's in the shop, if they are concerned, all they have to do is put some paper/cardboard on the windshield. They don't have to unplug or touch the camera.
Won't stop audio that way, and guys like valeradunets, now changed to iddqd85, complained in a similar thread before that this would record comments he makes about doing sexual things to customers' wives.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1257 posts
828 upvotes
bombdiggity wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 12:13 pm
Won't stop audio that way, and guys like valeradunets, now changed to iddqd85, complained in a similar thread before that this would record comments he makes about doing sexual things to customers' wives.
Your right

They still have to watch their language or turn up the radio.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3565 posts
1209 upvotes
Mississauga
I don’t car if they use colourful language, I just want to make sure they do the work I’m being charged for and they’re not beating on my car if it needs a road test after the repair.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1630 posts
249 upvotes
Even hardwire or battery pack will not help. The tech can simply press the off button on the dashcam.

I caught mine driving into and outa the garage without releasing the E brake (after viewing the videos). This was caught by a fluke as I saw the tech driving in and the DRL was not on, meaning the tech did not release the E brake. Funny how the tech thought that was a seat belt chime vs the E brake chime... Two different tones.
Unfortunately some things will need to be done at the stealer... Anything I do it myself.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
10624 posts
5755 upvotes
Richmond Hill
doberman_baby wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 2:35 pm
Even hardwire or battery pack will not help. The tech can simply press the off button on the dashcam.

I caught mine driving into and outa the garage without releasing the E brake (after viewing the videos). This was caught by a fluke as I saw the tech driving in and the DRL was not on, meaning the tech did not release the E brake. Funny how the tech thought that was a seat belt chime vs the E brake chime... Two different tones.
Unfortunately some things will need to be done at the stealer... Anything I do it myself.
Your E-brake doesn’t release automatically once the car is moving? My wife’s Volt will release after moving a bit (not recommended) but my X3 will automatically release once the car is in gear and the accelerator is depressed.