• Feb 1st, 2006 2:30 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2005
2904 posts
220 upvotes

Toronto to NY

Did anyone try this? Does it work? Buy a greyhound bus ticket from Toronto to Buffalo RT from greyhound.ca and buy Buffalo to NY RT from greyhound.com. It seems better than directly buying full route from Toronto to NY. But I wonder if you won't get a seat though if its fully booked?
Purchasing complete route = $190
Purchasing TO->Buffalo = $46, Buffalo->NY = 88US = $151

Savings of $38
9 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
For a student, it's not really worth the trouble as TO-NYC roundtrip is $169 total. But for adults it may be worth it

It'd suck if you have to go down and buy another ticket at Buffalo station, and your bus may be leaving already (as custom delays are just "normal")
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2005
2904 posts
220 upvotes
I called greyhound. They said there's no special discounts whatsoever. No student, companion or what not..:< But ur right. It seems greyhound doesn't let you buy tickets online.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
rain wrote:I called greyhound. They said there's no special discounts whatsoever. No student, companion or what not..:< But ur right. It seems greyhound doesn't let you buy tickets online.
They lied. ;)

There was, is, and always will be student discount
It's even mentioned on their website, although not quite accurate. It said ISIC gets 25% off while regular student card only gets 10% off. Reality = ISIC & regular cards get the same % discount = 10% ($169 vs. $190 adult)
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
67 upvotes
I normally drive to BUF, but if I had to take the bus, I would take it to BUF, and then grab one of those ~$100USD RT flights to NYC.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2005
2904 posts
220 upvotes
jerryhung wrote:They lied. ;)

There was, is, and always will be student discount
It's even mentioned on their website, although not quite accurate. It said ISIC gets 25% off while regular student card only gets 10% off. Reality = ISIC & regular cards get the same % discount = 10% ($169 vs. $190 adult)
"Valid on Greyhound Canada, Grey Goose and Voyageur routes only. Not valid for travel into the United States."
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
rain wrote:"Valid on Greyhound Canada, Grey Goose and Voyageur routes only. Not valid for travel into the United States."
Ha ha, don't believe everything they say.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2005
2904 posts
220 upvotes
I dunno, maybe its luck of the draw. Some might allow student discount, some may not. I guess I will see my luck when I buy it. Waiting for them to mail me the $5 discount
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
rain wrote:I dunno, maybe its luck of the draw. Some might allow student discount, some may not. I guess I will see my luck when I buy it. Waiting for them to mail me the $5 discount
Eh, good luck
FYI: I've bought the TO-NYC roundtrip for like 10 times within last year, always $169.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2005
2904 posts
220 upvotes
You're right. I just bought the tickets yesterday and I got student price $161.16. I wonder, since student price works, does companion price also apply?
I bought it abit late, maybe they didn't give me companion price. Let me know if it applies. Next time I take greyhound I will make a note of it ^^;