• Mar 13th, 2017 7:54 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26012 posts
211310 upvotes
GTA

Toronto planning to introduce road tolls on DVP/Gardiner

It would be a $2 toll, which may not seem like much for the occasional user, but for those going into and out of the city each day (or even multiple times within the same day), that will add up to a lot of $$, and you know who pays for it in the end. Prepare for everything to get more expensive than it already is.

http://www.citynews.ca/2016/11/23/mayor ... -gardiner/
191 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Did anyone else let out a big "eeeeeeefffffffffff." in their head?
Yes

Booo
Jan 2, 2009
256 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
Hopefully they will use the revenue to invest in better transit. This way less people will need to use a car to commute to the downtown core.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3488 posts
1532 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: Did anyone else let out a big "eeeeeeefffffffffff." in their head?
I did - as in it's about eeeeeeeeeeeeeefffffffffffing time!

This is long overdue. I would go further and suggest a congestion charge similar to what London, UK charges for any car entering the downtown core regardless of which route they use. Considering the much higher gas taxes the UK has, it would be a no brainer to put in a congestion charge in Toronto considering how incredibly low our gas taxes are.

Good for John Tory to stand up and do the right thing instead of just pandering to Joe Blow brainless voter.
Glazers Out!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19791 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Then they'll have a vote whether or not to get a raise in their salary.

FML
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
7197 posts
1999 upvotes
A few years ago when they introduced the additional land transfer tax , David Miller was saying that it was the answer to all Toronto's "revenue" problems ..this year must be a bumper year for that tax , yet still they need more.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3488 posts
1532 upvotes
Toronto
bembol wrote: Then they'll have a vote whether or not to get a raise in their salary.

FML
Yes of course, because city councilor salaries are clearly the cause of all our budget woes... :rolleyes:
Glazers Out!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
Little Tim wrote: I did - as in it's about eeeeeeeeeeeeeefffffffffffing time!

This is long overdue. I would go further and suggest a congestion charge similar to what London, UK charges for any car entering the downtown core regardless of which route they use. Considering the much higher gas taxes the UK has, it would be a no brainer to put in a congestion charge in Toronto considering how incredibly low our gas taxes are.

Good for John Tory to stand up and do the right thing instead of just pandering to Joe Blow brainless voter.
For the greater good I suppose. I hope our services are a reflection of that proposed toll…

TTC sucks...

Road maintenance is so-so… But perhaps I'm biased. Everyone hates the way road work happens… Usually last too long.

Parks and REC I would say is superb. I've gotten great service at the various rec centres across the city… Great pools, gyms, and they have these cool looking drop in classes that are pretty cheap. They also have one in every neighbourhood.
I love the skating rinks… They are well maintained.

Garbage collection, Snow clearing and salting... they got that pretty good.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14183 upvotes
Toronto
I wish they had done this 10 years ago as it would rarely have applied to me.

Don't like it now though as I will be starting to commute to work next year due to my office moving to Markham
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7805 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
Little Tim wrote: I did - as in it's about eeeeeeeeeeeeeefffffffffffing time!

Amen. The City of Toronto doesn't get a dime from the province for maintaining the DVP and Gardiner, yet a bulk of the traffic is suburbanites driving on the roads. This money is sorely needed, especially since a bulk of it is ear marked for the TTC (who also gets no provincial funding).
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
Pretty sure the city has finally got to reading the surveys over the past 2 years.

should have started the planning 2 years ago...would have implemented already
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
I think it's a great ideal for reasons already mentioned. Can't wait.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
lol everyone's just gonna use Bayview to avoid this toll. Poor schmucks living on Bayview between 401 and Gardner.
Apr 8, 2010
812 posts
462 upvotes
toronto
i feel for the ppl who live downtown and take the roads regularly. this tax should be for the 905's that come into the city
Jun 2, 2009
283 posts
98 upvotes
Star also noted in the same article last night that Wynne is putting in 5c/L gas tax beginning January to offset green projects... that's a bigger F in my book.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2015
5099 posts
4404 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This is absurd. I am totally against this. The only good to come out of it is that it'll throw more people onto streets and congest PT even more. At least I can smile at their miseries. This also means I will finally leave Toronto.

Tolls are a tool of the devil.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1843 posts
526 upvotes
Bowmanville boy here, toll up those roads boys Toronto is broke, good thing all the 905ers that I know all work near port Union and Sheppardish area they could toll the whole 401 and Ill just take hwy 2 in, bottom line is I'm cheap and a rfder. So if I pay the 2.00 to get on don valley is there a money back guarantee that there won't be traffic or I want my money back lol. Next thing is to get those property taxes raised wonder Toronto can't afford anything live in a semi in east York and pay 2000 for property tax lol I know you guys don't get a garage or a yard lol or anything and park on the roads like sheep but come on lol
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6382 posts
1741 upvotes
Personally, I don't mind paying the toll if Tory can guarantee the time saving is as good as 407.

The reality is, it is not happening.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)