Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2623 posts
155 upvotes

Toronto Police Officer Charged with Second Degree Murder of Sammy Yatim

I could have merged my article into the shooting conversation, but I find this topic/subject to be more representative of the latest developlments!

Toronto Const. James Forcillo charged with murder in shooting death
Of the six previous Toronto cases involving charges of manslaughter or murder, all officers were acquitted.

I dont think he will be found guilty, but also never thought he would have been charged with murder!

www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013/08/19/s ... death.html
420 replies
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
555 upvotes
if not for video..he'll probably be getting a raise and being called a hero for bravely putting his life on the line for duty and used by the police union to justify hiking up their salary even more because their lives are on the line all the time.

for good measure... probably plant some drugs on the victim as well.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2072 posts
84 upvotes
Crinkle_cut wrote:
Aug 19th, 2013 10:44 am
I could have merged my article into the shooting conversation, but I find this topic/subject to be more representative of the latest developlments!

Toronto Const. James Forcillo charged with murder in shooting death
Of the six previous Toronto cases involving charges of manslaughter or murder, all officers were acquitted.

I dont think he will be found guilty, but also never thought he would have been charged with murder!

www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013/08/19/s ... death.html
After that video, I don't know what kind of jury won't find him guilty. I didn't think he would be charged with murder as well, I think I read somewhere he made over 100k a year

Yes he does make 106k http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/07/30 ... 78999.html
Oct 20, 2012
946 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Apparently the final 6 shots (of the 9) are believed to be when he was on the ground. Not to mention there were pauses between shots.

That's well beyond neutralizing a threat/self-defense/etc. The charge seems very well founded, but even if convicted I doubt much will come of it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
8777 posts
1521 upvotes
Somewhere
I think he'll be found guilty. Too much public pressure in this case and way too many shots fired.

But he'll be sentenced to 5 years in a minimum security institution with the white collar/non-violent criminals, in isolation, own cell etc.

The victim's family will complain about the sentence, but by then, the public eye will be elsewhere.

After he comes out, he'll probably move to another city and start afresh.
:confused:
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
Historically speaking, Toronto cops that have been charged with murder were all acquitted.
Jul 5, 2004
22207 posts
2099 upvotes
iEyeCaptain wrote:
Aug 19th, 2013 10:52 am
I think he'll be found guilty. Too much public pressure in this case and way too many shots fired.

But he'll be sentenced to 5 years in a minimum security institution with the white collar/non-violent criminals, in isolation, own cell etc.

The victim's family will complain about the sentence, but by then, the public eye will be elsewhere.

Too many faulty assumptions in this thread as well as the other thread about this.

If he's found guilty of murder, then he will receive a life sentence with at least 2 years in a maximum security prison. Because he's a cop he'll very likely be placed in segregation, meaning he'll have little access to programs or employment. That will slow his transition to medium security or minimum security. Not to mention there are minimum sentences that must be served when convicted of murder.

I have serious doubts he'll be convicted of murder though. I think he'll be convicted of something else. Either way I think he'll lose his job and will get jail time, just not for murder. It would be tough to get a murder conviction in this case and the crown knows it, so they'll look to make a deal to ensure a conviction.

I know many think its a cut and dry case based on the video, but it's not that simple to get a murder conviction.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6477 posts
167 upvotes
Twoapplesnbanana wrote:
Aug 19th, 2013 10:50 am
Apparently the final 6 shots (of the 9) are believed to be when he was on the ground. Not to mention there were pauses between shots.
That's well beyond neutralizing a threat/self-defense/etc. The charge seems very well founded, but even if convicted I doubt much will come of it.
They were, you can see clearly they guy goes down after the first shot.

The really dumb part is the taser after he's been shot 9 times. Its like they think the guy is the terminator or something.
Jun 15, 2011
38483 posts
5543 upvotes
King City
A) It was stupid of the kid to be acting like that by calling the cops names as per the video "You're a ***** *****" and you don't say that to a cop.

B ) The kid should have not held the knife at the first place and should have dropped it when he was told to before, but he was acting "tough" and brave but in the end his life was taken. It could have been avoided if he followed instructions.

C) The police officer who shot the kid, could have shot only once or twice to disarm the person but not to "shoot to kill". Even though police officers are trained to shoot at the upper body since its the most easiest to hit BUT they could have shot his shoulder or leg to disarm the suspect. Then again they could have used the taser which you can fire.

D) 9 shots was just overkill, he's not a terminator for god's sake.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
946 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
bionicbadger wrote:
Aug 19th, 2013 11:22 am

The really dumb part is the taser after he's been shot 9 times. Its like they think the guy is the terminator or something.
Didn't see that alternate view before, and that is clearly much more damning. ignoring that I can't see him making any move at the first 3.. the guy is down and he goes ahead and shoots him 6 more times between 6 and 12 seconds after already being down.

Even if he made a move to warrant neutralizing a threat initially, the following 6 were solely intended to finish the job.

Where was the threat? Why did no other officer feel the need to unload rounds not only initially but to someone laying down? Clearly the officer is unstable.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2012
1191 posts
46 upvotes
NORTH YORK
bionicbadger wrote:
Aug 19th, 2013 11:22 am

watching this combined video for the first time and its simply disgusting
this cop is a joke. he should rot in jail.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like comments are closed on all media outlets (Globe, CBC, The Star)
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote:
Aug 19th, 2013 11:37 am
A) It was stupid of the kid to be acting like that by calling the cops names as per the video "You're a ***** *****" and you don't say that to a cop.

B ) The kid should have not held the knife at the first place and should have dropped it when he was told to before, but he was acting "tough" and brave but in the end his life was taken. It could have been avoided if he followed instructions.

C) The police officer who shot the kid, could have shot only once or twice to disarm the person but not to "shoot to kill". Even though police officers are trained to shoot at the upper body since its the most easiest to hit BUT they could have shot his shoulder or leg to disarm the suspect. Then again they could have used the taser which you can fire.

D) 9 shots was just overkill, he's not a terminator for god's sake.
A cop is not above the law. Yes, the kid might have been a punk to utter those words, but it does not warrant his execution.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
iEyeCaptain wrote:
Aug 19th, 2013 10:52 am

Pretty much.