Off Topic

Toronto Police Officer Charged with Second Degree Murder of Sammy Yatim

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 9:18 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
154 upvotes
vero95 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2013 6:56 pm
LOL are you saying the cop that killed the kid should not be charged with murder because the fact that the other cops did not fire their guns means he did nothing wrong :facepalm:
put that in your head: if he had acted correctly, he would not have been charged with murder :facepalm:
can you grasp that?
I really don't want to ruin this thread like every other thread where I acknowledge your posts, so I'm going to try to keep this to a minimum.

Where did I say anything about if he should be charged or not? I explained why your comment, about the fact that nobody else shot implying that he acted incorrectly, was wrong. Simple as that.

I'm sure that you know that a charge isn't proof of anything though.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1785 upvotes
BornRuff wrote:
Aug 25th, 2013 7:13 pm
I really don't want to ruin this thread like every other thread where I acknowledge your posts, so I'm going to try to keep this to a minimum.

Where did I say anything about if he should be charged or not? I explained why your comment, about the fact that nobody else shot implying that he acted incorrectly, was wrong. Simple as that.

I'm sure that you know that a charge isn't proof of anything though.
you did not explain I was wrong :facepalm:
I explained why you were wrong
if you were right, the officer should not have been charged :facepalm:
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
154 upvotes
vero95 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2013 7:16 pm
you did not explain I was wrong :facepalm:
I explained why you were wrong
if you were right, the officer should not have been charged :facepalm:
Lol, you are not even remotely talking about the same thing as me, so why don't we just give it a rest?

Besides, there is no point debating if being charged with a crime proves you are wrong. It such a basic fact of out justice system that it really isn't up for debate.
Moderator
User avatar
May 27, 2007
15659 posts
3073 upvotes
Toronto
Why cant you two PM each other instead of arguing back and forth in public?
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Banned
May 2, 2017
39 posts
27 upvotes
October 2 is the day when this cop who murdered Sammy Yatim in cold blood might or might not go to jail.

He has already been sentenced to 6 years in jail. But as usual because he is a cop, he has not spent a single day in jail so far.

What a joke ? I don't think anything will happen on October 2 and he will get away with murder :(

What do you guys think, will happen, will justice be served for Sammy Yatim ?
Moderator
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
22206 posts
2099 upvotes
Talk about a biased thread. Not to mention uninformed.

He's free because he appealed and was granted bail while awaiting his appeal. That's not unusual and has nothing to do with him being a cop.

Unless anyone here has actually read the grounds he's appealing on and understands the criminal justice system, there's no sense guessing if he'll do time or not. It will be nothing more than an uneducated guess.

OP, do you know the reasons for his appeal?
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Banned
May 2, 2017
39 posts
27 upvotes
Shaner wrote:
May 17th, 2017 1:12 pm
Talk about a biased thread. Not to mention uninformed.

He's free because he appealed and was granted bail while awaiting his appeal. That's not unusual and has nothing to do with him being a cop.

Unless anyone here has actually read the grounds he's appealing on and understands the criminal justice system, there's no sense guessing if he'll do time or not. It will be nothing more than an uneducated guess.

OP, do you know the reasons for his appeal?
The guy spent like half a day in detention after being arrested and after conviction for murder for 6 years, some house arrest stuff .

How many non cops and civilians, who have been convicted of murder given the same preferential treatment ? You gotta be kidding me if you think he is not getting special treatment because he is a cop.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 11, 2008
4787 posts
349 upvotes
alikikuruvan wrote:
May 17th, 2017 1:26 pm
The guy spent like half a day in detention after being arrested and after conviction for murder for 6 years, some house arrest stuff .

How many non cops and civilians, who have been convicted of murder given the same preferential treatment ? You gotta be kidding me if you think he is not getting special treatment because he is a cop.
"On January 25, 2016, the jury found Forcillo not guilty of second degree murder and manslaughter, but guilty of attempted murder"

Which never made much sense to me anyway.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 11, 2008
4787 posts
349 upvotes
alikikuruvan wrote:
May 17th, 2017 3:27 pm
His lawyer is trying to get him off on a Technicality.

https://nowtoronto.com/news/think-free- ... erve-bail/
"the judge found merit in the argument of Forcillo's lawyers that the jury may have erred when they convicted the officer of attempted murder since forensic evidence revealed Yatim was already dead, killed by Forcillo's first volley for which Forcillo was acquitted on a second degree murder charge." -- From your source

Technicality or not, the judge found merit in the appeal. That's why he was released on bail. Nothing special about it.
Moderator
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
22206 posts
2099 upvotes
alikikuruvan wrote:
May 17th, 2017 3:27 pm
His lawyer is trying to get him off on a Technicality.

https://nowtoronto.com/news/think-free- ... erve-bail/
Not a technicality at all. Was the first bullet justified? What about the second, third, etc. If the built that killed him or likely killed him was justified, then he may very well have an argument.

Now the bullets afterwards still need to be explained. You can't legally shoot a dead body, but at the same time, it can't be murder if the lethal shot was justified.

That will be for a judge to decide though.

Either way, there's 3 aspects to bail while an appeal is pending.

1. The appeal can't be frivolous.
2. The accused will turn himself in when appropriate
3. There's no other reason to leave him locked up.

In this case I'd say all 3 criteria have been met, so cop or not, bail is appropriate based on our current system. You don't have to agree with it, but he didn't get bail because he was a cop.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 11, 2008
4787 posts
349 upvotes
Shaner wrote:
May 17th, 2017 3:50 pm
Not a technicality at all. Was the first bullet justified? What about the second, third, etc. If the built that killed him or likely killed him was justified, then he may very well have an argument.

Now the bullets afterwards still need to be explained. You can't legally shoot a dead body, but at the same time, it can't be murder if the lethal shot was justified.

That will be for a judge to decide though.

Either way, there's 3 aspects to bail while an appeal is pending.

1. The appeal can't be frivolous.
2. The accused will turn himself in when appropriate
3. There's no other reason to leave him locked up.

In this case I'd say all 3 criteria have been met, so cop or not, bail is appropriate based on our current system. You don't have to agree with it, but he didn't get bail because he was a cop.
I think the argument is that the officer didn't know Yatim was dead. Therefore, he was attempting to kill him illegally after he has been incapacitated. However, since Yatim was already dead, he failed to murder him, thus attempted murder. It's certainly a weird legal argument, but I can see the merit in it now.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
2097 posts
395 upvotes
Shaner wrote:
May 17th, 2017 3:50 pm
Not a technicality at all. Was the first bullet justified? What about the second, third, etc. If the built that killed him or likely killed him was justified, then he may very well have an argument.

Now the bullets afterwards still need to be explained. You can't legally shoot a dead body, but at the same time, it can't be murder if the lethal shot was justified.

That will be for a judge to decide though.

Either way, there's 3 aspects to bail while an appeal is pending.

1. The appeal can't be frivolous.
2. The accused will turn himself in when appropriate
3. There's no other reason to leave him locked up.

In this case I'd say all 3 criteria have been met, so cop or not, bail is appropriate based on our current system. You don't have to agree with it, but he didn't get bail because he was a cop.
Why is a moderator arguing about this with so much enthusiasm? Is there a story behind it, like you, or someone in your family is a cop?

You are biased, but I can't post more, because I am afraid of perma-ban, and/or locking of the thread.

Disappointed But Relieved Face
Moderator
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
22206 posts
2099 upvotes
motomondo wrote:
May 18th, 2017 8:31 pm
Why is a moderator arguing about this with so much enthusiasm? Is there a story behind it, like you, or someone in your family is a cop?

You are biased, but I can't post more, because I am afraid of perma-ban, and/or locking of the thread.

Disappointed But Relieved Face
Stating facts is not arguing. The only time I've even shared my opinion is to say that I think he'll be convicted and go to jail. Otherwise, I just state facts, nothing more. Far from enthusiastic, although I find threads about the justice system interesting, far more interesting than threads about how people blow their nose.

As for me being biased, I'd love to know what you're basing that on. I never said he does or doesn't deserve bail, I said he fits the criteria for being granted bail and I even listed the criteria.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
2819 posts
626 upvotes
markham
I have no emotion or sympathy to those killed while in the process of committing a crime or terrorizing innocent law abiding people. End of story..i would almost give the cop a medal if he didn't look like a jerk

Top