Off Topic

Toronto Police Officer Charged with Second Degree Murder of Sammy Yatim

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 9:18 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
2097 posts
395 upvotes
Shaner wrote:
May 18th, 2017 9:29 pm
Stating facts is not arguing. The only time I've even shared my opinion is to say that I think he'll be convicted and go to jail. Otherwise, I just state facts, nothing more. Far from enthusiastic, although I find threads about the justice system interesting, far more interesting than threads about how people blow their nose.

As for me being biased, I'd love to know what you're basing that on. I never said he does or doesn't deserve bail, I said he fits the criteria for being granted bail and I even listed the criteria.
You are clearly biased as you present only the facts that support your argument (regarding bail). I could type a long rebuttal, explaining why he got preferential treatment - but you would not read it, or consider it.

To answer the question you posted, not even the first bullet was justified. There was no reason to shoot. BUT it is clear that you disagree with this argument. Which leads me to believe you are in law enforcement. Amiright?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 19, 2007
1905 posts
81 upvotes
Mississauga
motomondo wrote:
May 20th, 2017 11:06 am
You are clearly biased as you present only the facts that support your argument (regarding bail). I could type a long rebuttal, explaining why he got preferential treatment - but you would not read it, or consider it.

To answer the question you posted, not even the first bullet was justified. There was no reason to shoot. BUT it is clear that you disagree with this argument. Which leads me to believe you are in law enforcement. Amiright?
Except, he didn't get convicted or murder, so despite whatever your personal belief on the subject is, the courts don't agree with you.

Just like bail, despite your personal beliefs and whatever rebuttal you provide, his bail is in line with any other person that has been in similar circumstances.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
2097 posts
395 upvotes
fido1984 wrote:
May 20th, 2017 1:04 pm
Except, he didn't get convicted or murder, so despite whatever your personal belief on the subject is, the courts don't agree with you.

Just like bail, despite your personal beliefs and whatever rebuttal you provide, his bail is in line with any other person that has been in similar circumstances.
This is exactly my point, thank you - He wasn't treated like "any other person that has been in similar circumstances". The courts treated him very gently, aka *special treatment*.

Bottom line, Forcillo has a group of supporters that will rationalize and justify everything that happened, to keep supporting him. This group of supporters comes from all demographic groups (women, men, young, old, Conservatives, Liberals, etc.), but the ONE thing they have in common is that they all work in law enforcement, or have a direct link to law enforcement.

In other words, Forcillo's most ardent fans who are rationalizing these developments are most likely the other cops Smiling Face With Open Mouth. Or cops' fans (surprise, surprise!).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7187 posts
233 upvotes
motomondo wrote:
May 20th, 2017 5:57 pm
This is exactly my point, thank you - He wasn't treated like "any other person that has been in similar circumstances". The courts treated him very gently, aka *special treatment*.

Bottom line, Forcillo has a group of supporters that will rationalize and justify everything that happened, to keep supporting him. This group of supporters comes from all demographic groups (women, men, young, old, Conservatives, Liberals, etc.), but the ONE thing they have in common is that they all work in law enforcement, or have a direct link to law enforcement.

In other words, Forcillo's most ardent fans who are rationalizing these developments are most likely the other cops Smiling Face With Open Mouth. Or cops' fans (surprise, surprise!).
Look man, I understand what you are saying. The police institution is very corrupt but at least we finally saw some justice. This is a now a fact. No corrupt Mike Mccormack or pro forcillo supporters can ever say that what he did was justified because its wasnt. The REAL LAW have spoken.

I know its sad that it had to take for someone to record it, post it online and make it viral to get some kind of justice but its a good step. That means our society understood that this was wrong and needed to be brought to court. It just a matter of putting pressure in the institution to make sure these guys are held accountable for their mistakes. We all know they are corrupt as hell but we have society behind us. At the end of the day, we pay for their salary.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 19, 2007
1905 posts
81 upvotes
Mississauga
motomondo wrote:
May 20th, 2017 5:57 pm
This is exactly my point, thank you - He wasn't treated like "any other person that has been in similar circumstances". The courts treated him very gently, aka *special treatment*.

Bottom line, Forcillo has a group of supporters that will rationalize and justify everything that happened, to keep supporting him. This group of supporters comes from all demographic groups (women, men, young, old, Conservatives, Liberals, etc.), but the ONE thing they have in common is that they all work in law enforcement, or have a direct link to law enforcement.

In other words, Forcillo's most ardent fans who are rationalizing these developments are most likely the other cops Smiling Face With Open Mouth. Or cops' fans (surprise, surprise!).
First of all, I never said I supported Forcillo, nor have I tried to rationalize or justify anything. Nor did I prove your point. Please explain exactly how he has been getting special treatment. He's out on bail pending his appeal. This is normal.

Lastly, I'm not law enforcement.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 11, 2008
4787 posts
349 upvotes
motomondo wrote:
May 20th, 2017 5:57 pm
This is exactly my point, thank you - He wasn't treated like "any other person that has been in similar circumstances". The courts treated him very gently, aka *special treatment*.

Bottom line, Forcillo has a group of supporters that will rationalize and justify everything that happened, to keep supporting him. This group of supporters comes from all demographic groups (women, men, young, old, Conservatives, Liberals, etc.), but the ONE thing they have in common is that they all work in law enforcement, or have a direct link to law enforcement.

In other words, Forcillo's most ardent fans who are rationalizing these developments are most likely the other cops Smiling Face With Open Mouth. Or cops' fans (surprise, surprise!).
I suspect if a passenger (aka any other person) killed him, he/she wouldn't be charged at all (aside from weapon charges) and it certainly wouldn't be murder. The cop was charged because he was better equipped and should have known better. Regardless, I am glad a knife wielding criminal was removed from society and an unqualified cop was removed at the same time.

Bottom line, Sammy Yatim has a group of supporters that will rationalize and justify everything that happened, to keep supporting him. This group of supporters comes from all demographic groups (women, men, young, old, Conservatives, Liberals, etc.), but the ONE thing they have in common is that they are all criminals, or have a direct link to criminals. :D
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
2097 posts
395 upvotes
fido1984 wrote:
May 21st, 2017 6:54 am
First of all, I never said I supported Forcillo, nor have I tried to rationalize or justify anything. Nor did I prove your point. Please explain exactly how he has been getting special treatment. He's out on bail pending his appeal. This is normal.

Lastly, I'm not law enforcement.
I wasn't talking about you!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
2097 posts
395 upvotes
Archanfel wrote:
May 21st, 2017 7:48 am
I suspect if a passenger (aka any other person) killed him, he/she wouldn't be charged at all (aside from weapon charges) and it certainly wouldn't be murder. The cop was charged because he was better equipped and should have known better. Regardless, I am glad a knife wielding criminal was removed from society and an unqualified cop was removed at the same time.

Bottom line, Sammy Yatim has a group of supporters that will rationalize and justify everything that happened, to keep supporting him. This group of supporters comes from all demographic groups (women, men, young, old, Conservatives, Liberals, etc.), but the ONE thing they have in common is that they are all criminals, or have a direct link to criminals. :D
Thank you for your copy and paste!

It is true what they say, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 11, 2008
4787 posts
349 upvotes
motomondo wrote:
May 21st, 2017 5:56 pm
Thank you for your copy and paste!

It is true what they say, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I wouldn't say being a criminal or has a direct link to criminals is an imitation of being in the law enforcement or has a direct link with law enforcement. :)
Banned
Jul 17, 2017
24 posts
21 upvotes
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/j ... -1.3971308

Any idea how long James Forcillo will go to jail for on October 2, 2017 ?

Will he get special treatment because he is a cop ? Or will he be treated like a normal murderer ?

I am sure he will be put in isolation and not with the general population.

July, 2013 this Forcillo guy murdered Sammy Yatim. Can't believe its going to take 4.5 years to send this Murderer to jail.

A regular citizen would have been in jail within days, if had murdered a cop, even if the cop was off duty. Different laws & special treatment for cops, that's sad.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4164 posts
674 upvotes
I respect due processes. The speed of a trial and the weight of the evidence can not and should not be influenced by the degree of public outrage if a system is fair. Now whether it is fair or not is subject to debate. The people working in the trial know the details better than us. I can picture cops always having an advantage because they know the system. Well...what can we do? There's no perfect system. I think compared to a lot of other countries, the system is relatively very fair. Like I heard stories of cops in China or South America. Very corrupt people.

I was reading the news this morning about this case:
http://www.news1130.com/2017/07/20/deci ... x-assault/

Now I don't know the details but there are always 2 sides to the story. Sexual assault cases can't be based on "emotions". Some SJWs are advocating less and less evidence required for sex assault cases. Sometimes it sounds like they expect conviction right away. I can feel for the victim but I don't see how it would be fair if victim doesn't even have to bother with any testimonies or evidence due to "emotional trauma".

Then there is the case of the drunk driver who killed a few kids and a lot of public outrage poured out. If he hit a convicted Nazi, would you call him a hero instead?
Jr. Member
Aug 26, 2011
194 posts
25 upvotes
Police are trained to protect other police and then maybe us.

Its messed up.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5966 posts
221 upvotes
I wonder if the changes to solitary confinement will affect the sentencing of people like Forcillo? He obviously can't be put in the general population and so he'll need to be in solitary. Since there will be new limits on solitary confinement that will make it costly and difficult to keep people like Forcillo incarcerated, I wonder if judges will go for lighter sentences that allow special cases to spend more time under house arrest or other forms of punishment.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 15, 2004
14181 posts
1532 upvotes
Toronto
BananaHunter wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 1:01 pm
I respect due processes. The speed of a trial and the weight of the evidence can not and should not be influenced by the degree of public outrage if a system is fair.
How long do murder cases normally take to go to trial in this country though? This one seemed to take an incredibly long time.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1503 posts
192 upvotes
Markham
Piro21 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 2:51 pm
How long do murder cases normally take to go to trial in this country though? This one seemed to take an incredibly long time.
I would like to know who's paying his legal fees. The police union?

Top