Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2004
5823 posts
30 upvotes
Markham

Toronto Police speed detectors

Do the police (especially in Markham) still use radar guns or have they upgraded their equipment to IR "laser" speed detectors now?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm planning some additions to my carPC that might involve front and rear bumper webcams and a few superbright IR LED arrays. ;)
16 replies
Aug 29, 2002
547 posts
9 upvotes
Markham
Mostly laser in Markham.

I still see some radar units though.
Dec 9, 2004
452 posts
Ottawa
jollyeskimo wrote: Reason I'm asking is that I'm planning some additions to my carPC that might involve front and rear bumper webcams and a few superbright IR LED arrays. ;)
Home made computer enhanced night-vision?
Nov 3, 2003
337 posts
2 upvotes
That sounds interesting...What exactly are the webcams on the front and rear bumpers for?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1064 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
May be I am a little bit off the topic, does any one know the name of the program for PDA that can detect the police rader signal? I am sure this program exist. Just forgot the name. Any one tried, how does it work?
More do more worng,
less do less wong,
no do no wrog.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2003
2054 posts
181 upvotes
Correct me if I'm wrong but PDAs has sensors for the infrared and Wi-Fi frequency, which does'nt match the police radar frequency. I can't see this happening.
old_old_7 wrote:May be I am a little bit off the topic, does any one know the name of the program for PDA that can detect the police rader signal? I am sure this program exist. Just forgot the name. Any one tried, how does it work?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2004
5823 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
otaque wrote:Home made computer enhanced night-vision?
Night vision... speed trap detector... parking cam... you name it ;)
May 28, 2003
546 posts
Can you enlighten us?

I understand how it would work for night vision and parking camera... however fail to understand how it would detect speed traps. Please PM me back. :confused: Even if the webcam were to pickup laser beams... it would need to be very close. Unless you are going to use an array of IR to confuse the laser beam, by multiplying it 10x the beams.
Dec 9, 2004
452 posts
Ottawa
By doing that you're effectively 'jamming' the lidar and that, I believe is illegal.
Detectors on the other hand will just passively detect infrared pulses and alert you to a laser gun being pointed at you, by which time it might be a little too late.

eskimo, what platform do you use for the car PC?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2004
5823 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
Kevin T wrote:Can you enlighten us?

I understand how it would work for night vision and parking camera... however fail to understand how it would detect speed traps. Please PM me back. :confused: Even if the webcam were to pickup laser beams... it would need to be very close. Unless you are going to use an array of IR to confuse the laser beam, by multiplying it 10x the beams.
a quote from howstuffworks.com:
A laser speed gun measures the round-trip time for light to reach a car and reflect back. Light from a laser speed gun moves a lot faster than sound -- about 984,000,000 feet per second (300,000,000 meters), or roughly 1 foot (30 cm) per nanosecond. A laser speed gun shoots a very short burst of infrared laser light and then waits for it to reflect off the vehicle.
So it should look just like a big strobe light with the webcam :cheesygri . My intent isn't to jam them though, since I only plan on switching the IR LED arrays on when I need nightvision. I don't really care too much about the laser guns, the parking cam is the main priority, and the nightvision is just for fun.

otaque: I'm just using winXP tablet, with the Roadrunner frontend.
May 28, 2003
546 posts
Roadrunner front end?

Can you list the specifications of your computer?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2004
5823 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
Kevin T wrote:Roadrunner front end?

Can you list the specifications of your computer?
It's one of the few frontend projects on mp3car.com, lots of little options, and optimized for touchscreen usage. (link)

specs:
VIA EPIA SP13000 1.3ghz
256MB DDR400
Samsung 80GB 5400rpm
Morex 60W carPC PSU kit
Lilliput 8" Touchscreen LCD
Polstar PGM-111 GPS
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
as long as u dont make it look geeky! design it in ur ride.. :D
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1064 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
robattoronto wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but PDAs has sensors for the infrared and Wi-Fi frequency, which does'nt match the police radar frequency. I can't see this happening.
You are right, my mistake
http://www.sophonix.com/downloads/gpsradar.asp
Didn't read the page carefully.
BTW, where can I find the radar and camera database for Ontario,or Toronto?
More do more worng,
less do less wong,
no do no wrog.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38384 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
old_old_7 wrote:You are right, my mistake
http://www.sophonix.com/downloads/gpsradar.asp
Didn't read the page carefully.
BTW, where can I find the radar and camera database for Ontario,or Toronto?
I doubt you will find a Radar database, but here is the famous Red Light List

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/transport ... htcams.htm
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1064 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:I doubt you will find a Radar database, but here is the famous Red Light List

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/transport ... htcams.htm
Thx, later,hope I can make the red light cam location database when I have time.
More do more worng,
less do less wong,
no do no wrog.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)