Home & Garden

Toronto Property Tax increased 10% in 2017

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2018 9:35 pm
Aug 29, 2011
193 posts
146 upvotes
GTA
For those bashing Toronto for low property taxes do you also get a separate garbage pickup tax bill like Toronto Residents. When you add the separate garbage tax Toronto is in line with most of the GTA.
The Duke
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
40500 posts
2022 upvotes
Richmond Hill
garytheduke wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 11:56 am
For those bashing Toronto for low property taxes do you also get a separate garbage pickup tax bill like Toronto Residents. When you add the separate garbage tax Toronto is in line with most of the GTA.
The smallest 75L is $25 a year, which should be enough for an average household. Not sure how that puts the property tax back up to the rest of GTA.
And if you're a family of 4 and need more than 75L garbage bin, you really need to start recycling more.
***Brand New Nintendo Switch Console with Grey Joy-Con ONLY $330!!***
Silver Coins | 3M Furnace Filters | Nintendo Switch Grey
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6815 posts
2640 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Toronto just doesn't like paying to play, they want the rest of the province to pay for them. Just raise the taxes and accept it, that's life in a big city.

They like to blame the 905ers for all the stress on their infrastructure but at the same time ignore the fact that a lot of 416ers also go in the opposite direction into the 905 to work.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Apr 28, 2014
207 posts
82 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
garytheduke wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 11:56 am
I don't live in Toronto so don't feel comfortable commenting on the state of the infrastructure and services. I travel there, so have an opinion, but not taking the bus every day, I'm not qualified to say you need to fund the TTC more, for instance.

It seems to me, though, that it's naturally for Toronto to have lower residential taxes. It has more density, which means more efficiency in many types of services and infrastructure, and is the financial and industrial hub of the province (really of the country), so will attract business almost regardless of the commercial and industrial mill rates. So, I for one, while I'm envious of Toronto's low residential property taxes, wouldn't bash Torontonians for them. I'd rather have my city (KW) emulate Toronto, and develop some density to make things more efficient.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
6678 posts
409 upvotes
Toronto
I pay $6300 for an 1800 sq foot house, I don't feel like Toronto taxes are cheap. Are Markham and Richmond Hill peeps paying 15-20k for their 2800 sq foot mcmansions and double car garage houses?
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
6800 posts
1181 upvotes
CensoredByRFD wrote:
Jan 26th, 2018 11:49 am
Because only a female mayor would have the balls to raise taxes in order to help pay for the increasing costs of maintaining old infrastructure.

Toronto definitely needs to raise property taxes. Not at at once, preferably, but definitely more than it currently is doing, and on an annual basis even if it’s just to fix our broken down school buildings.
Soon she will be controlled by the mafia ...the only mayor in Montreal that fought the mafia/police and won was Jean Drapeau. The mafia and mafia infiltrated police was uncontrolled from 1954-1986 when he was the iron fist mayor for 32+ years. Infrastructure is kind of a joke in this city, it basically means the mafia will bid on all the city contracts and either way they will get more taxpayer's dollar into their pockets ! It costs Toronto $35/foot of sidewalk, it costs Montreal $175/foot ...see whats going on ?
May 2, 2011
859 posts
149 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 10:11 pm
That’s true. The downside is Chatham homes won’t appreciate at the rate of Toronto homes ( while being charged a steep property tax rate ). I’m actually interested in why Chatham has such a crazy rate. That’s pretty much double most cities ( KW, GTA that I know of). Sorry getting off topic, looking at buying property in Chatham.
Property tax is a little more complex than many people think. It all depends on the budget required by the Town/City and the assessed value of your home. People keep comparing the property tax mill rates between cities, but they're not apples to apples. My assessed MPAC value is roughly half my actual value. So I'm not getting the mill rate applied to my actual house value, but some made up number that MPAC came up with.

When I used to live in Kitchener, I had a $300k house and paid over $4k in property taxes. I now live in Oakville and while my house and property are both significantly larger and my home is worth 3-4x more, my property tax is less than what I used to pay in Kitchener.
Jan 12, 2017
267 posts
83 upvotes
There should be a tax to license 'Toronto' for 905ers who want to use it as their location. j/k

Toronto has 10 times the pop. density of the rest of the GTA (old info, but I doubt it's decreased significantly). Whether you consider it cost efficiencies due to more efficient infrastructure or due to the ability to collect much more property taxes/sqkm, it would be odd if Toronto didn't have lower tax rates.

Add to that, due to the density, Toronto ends up with more people requiring government services and is responsible for the Gardiner, DVP, 427 and 401 (within that box) - not quite the same as the surrounding municipalities.

chimaican wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 2:32 pm
Toronto just doesn't like paying to play, they want the rest of the province to pay for them. Just raise the taxes and accept it, that's life in a big city.

They like to blame the 905ers for all the stress on their infrastructure but at the same time ignore the fact that a lot of 416ers also go in the opposite direction into the 905 to work.
Mar 6, 2015
115 posts
48 upvotes
A little bit off topic, but isn't the whole concept of property taxes ridiculous? I mean you already own the asset, and you're being taxed again and again, year after year, for the pleasure of continuing to simply own it. I think it's the only tax we have where you have to pay the government for the right to own something.

Just my $0.02
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5355 posts
2613 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
MTLCPA wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 1:20 pm
A little bit off topic, but isn't the whole concept of property taxes ridiculous? I mean you already own the asset, and you're being taxed again and again, year after year, for the pleasure of continuing to simply own it. I think it's the only tax we have where you have to pay the government for the right to own something.

Just my $0.02
The fact that you don't know what property taxes are for seems ridiculous. I personally like having snow removal, police, ambulance, fire fighters, transit system, education, etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2705 posts
893 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 1:47 pm
I personally like having snow removal
On the streets yes.
If they would stop the windrow and sidewalk clearing, my cleanup would take less than 1/2 the time.
I would not have to go out 2-3 times to clear what I've already cleared because they are "helping" me.

I agree that MPAC is a joke. Fudged valuations that get phased in over 5 years that have to be adjusted mid cycle when they fudge the numbers again.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4457 posts
132 upvotes
GTA
Great job, let’s build a rail deck park ... morons
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
2833 posts
1908 upvotes
Property tax rates do vary a lot between cities. One of the biggest factors is the balance of commercial vs. residential. Usually lots of commercial space means lower residential rates. That's something to consider if your city is going in the direction of increasing land values = commercial properties being redeveloped as residential = higher taxes for residential.

Around here it used to be common to keep assessed values well below actual resale values so that when the city increased assessments as a way of raising taxes, residents could not complain that their properties were undervalued. Now there's an independent agency that sets property assessments more-or-less in line with actual resale values. But it's still hard to track. Assessments are done as of 6 months before notices are mailed out, making it difficult to relate to actual values when the housing market is volatile. And then of course they always re-assure residents that assessment increases won't mean higher taxes. And then when the final date for filing assessment protests has passed, they release the actual tax bills.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31812 posts
8173 upvotes
GTHA
Toronto homeowners facing nearly 3% property tax hike
http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/02/13/t ... -tax-hike/
Toronto homeowners are in for a nearly three per cent property tax hike, as city council approved the 2018 budget on Monday.

Councillors voted 31 to 11 in favour of the budget, which included the 2.1 per cent property tax hike.

However, residents will have to pay an extra 0.5 per cent for the city’s build fund, which supports transit and housing projects, as well as an increase of 0.31 per cent as part of the city’s business climate and reassessment impact strategy. This brings the total residential property tax hike to 2.9 per cent.

For example, a homeowner whose home is assessed by the city at $624,418 will have to pay an extra $82 in municipal property taxes for a total of $2,907 for 2018.