• Mar 21st, 2017 5:13 pm
Jan 14, 2009
467 posts
108 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
rkanwar109 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 11:43 am
Fake news.

Toronto has higher taxes as well so your take home pay is actually way less than in HK, and those asian countries.
Not entirely accurate but you are finally on the right track. We are globally uncompetitive and all the blame is on Canadians. The solution is for Canada to compete and win, not whine and scapegoat. Now vote accordingly.
Dec 30, 1969
530 posts
286 upvotes
Toronto, ON
zakarydoks wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 11:55 am
Not entirely accurate but you are finally on the right track. We are globally uncompetitive and all the blame is on Canadians. The solution is for Canada to compete and win, not whine and scapegoat. Now vote accordingly.
yes and rising real estate prices don't cause Canada to become competitive and a "world class city". Until there is significant job and salary growth, it doesn't matter how many immigrants are coming to Canada. Most of these immigrants won't even find jobs and will be a leech to the system if Canada as a whole isn't creating jobs.
Jan 14, 2009
467 posts
108 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
rkanwar109 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:03 pm
yes and rising real estate prices don't cause Canada to become competitive and a "world class city". Until there is significant job and salary growth, it doesn't matter how many immigrants are coming to Canada. Most of these immigrants won't even find jobs and will be a leech to the system if Canada as a whole isn't creating jobs.
From what I've seen on the CBC recently, I will concede that the most recent newcomers welcomed into Canada are very unlikely to become very productive. Although I'm open to a more stringent selection process for newcomers, unskilled immigration is not the primary source of our low productivity problem. The easiest way to discourage "leeches", foreign or domestic, is to cut the programs they leech off of or at least modify it to reduce eligibility. Canadians are overtaxed for decades which leaves us to fend off global competition with one hand tied behind our backs. Unskilled jobs that will pay enough to buy a detached home in Vancouver or Toronto is not possible no matter what we do. Chinese and Indian schools have been investing in STEM while our universities are investing in safe spaces. I'm surprised we are doing as well as we are. Unlimited natural resources help I guess.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
25783 posts
1407 upvotes
Winnipeg
zakarydoks wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:01 pm
From what I've seen on the CBC recently, I will concede that the most recent newcomers welcomed into Canada are very unlikely to become very productive. Although I'm open to a more stringent selection process for newcomers, unskilled immigration is not the primary source of our low productivity problem. The easiest way to discourage "leeches", foreign or domestic, is to cut the programs they leech off of or at least modify it to reduce eligibility. Canadians are overtaxed for decades which leaves us to fend off global competition with one hand tied behind our backs. Unskilled jobs that will pay enough to buy a detached home in Vancouver or Toronto is not possible no matter what we do. Chinese and Indian schools have been investing in STEM while our universities are investing in safe spaces. I'm surprised we are doing as well as we are. Unlimited natural resources help I guess.
we can't save the world, the immigration system is broken, we need to only allow people in who will benefit Canada too.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
3339 posts
340 upvotes
There were reports last fall they were looking at increasing immigration from 300k (current) to 500k per year, and with that, they want to increase the pool of "skilled immigrants" hoping that someone will start business here and make jobs.

But yea what do I expect? A lack of infrastructure to support such ambitions population growth, (just think of the TTC in rush hour), a dilution of the jobs market and more costs on social services.

It was confirmed that immigrants and refugees quality for the lucrative child tax beneft, as soon as they touch down. For a family of two with no income, I believe this is 2K/month tax free?
[OP]
Dec 5, 2015
140 posts
42 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Jungle wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 1:51 pm
There were reports last fall they were looking at increasing immigration from 300k (current) to 500k per year, and with that, they want to increase the pool of "skilled immigrants" hoping that someone will start business here and make jobs.

But yea what do I expect? A lack of infrastructure to support such ambitions population growth, (just think of the TTC in rush hour), a dilution of the jobs market and more costs on social services.

It was confirmed that immigrants and refugees quality for the lucrative child tax beneft, as soon as they touch down. For a family of two with no income, I believe this is 2K/month tax free?
Lol wut? No...

Stop getting your "news" from rebel and Infowars
Jan 14, 2009
467 posts
108 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Doubleshot wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 2:00 pm
Lol wut? No...

Lol as opposed to the CBC? They are so bad it's good, for humor and entertainment. YouTube their beige power skit.

For financial news I use Bloomberg which gives a good idea of the overall picture.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
3339 posts
340 upvotes
Doubleshot wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 2:00 pm
Lol wut? No...

So I might be off by 50,000 however it's not fake news:

"An economic advisory council to finance minister Bill Morneau recently recommended that Canada increase its annual immigration target to 450,000 over the next five years to attract top talent to Canadian companies.

Under next year’s plan, the number of immigrants admitted under the economic category will increase to 172,500 from 160,600 this year, the government said. "

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... quota-2017

Economic category means people that can work. (skilled workers, etc)
Family category means mom with baby, kids, grandpa and grandma. (who may really going to contribute to economy)

Latest report I could find breaks down the categories, scroll down

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/ ... .asp#intro

Refugees/immigrants get child tax benefit and will even go retroactive up to 11 months.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre ... 091&top=11
Images
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel