• Jan 21st, 2018 11:33 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14398 posts
914 upvotes
Markham
Now you know why the wealthy don't drive their racecars here in winter season...
ShadowVlican
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14331 posts
2610 upvotes
Toronto
ShadowVlican wrote:
Jan 15th, 2016 10:47 pm
Now you know why the wealthy don't drive their racecars here in winter season...
Well I still see people driving their Porsche 911's in the winter. Probably can't afford a winter car.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
20899 posts
2038 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Jan 15th, 2016 11:03 pm
Well I still see people driving their Porsche 911's in the winter. Probably can't afford a winter car.
Lol those are leased / non-car enthusiasts
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1075 posts
149 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
That is their winter car lol their lambo is in the garage at home waiting for spring.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14331 posts
2610 upvotes
Toronto
shawn01 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2016 6:07 am
That is their winter car lol their lambo is in the garage at home waiting for spring.
Ya right. LOL
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14573 posts
2553 upvotes
Toronto
FWIW, the Porsche 911 has about 1" more clearance than the Lamborghinis.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7012 posts
782 upvotes
Toronto
carmaster wrote:
They're simply driving it like the leased it. Which in most cases is what they did.
Jan 24, 2014
404 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
JPTN wrote:
Jan 15th, 2016 8:50 pm
Ice + thawing = damage. It's physics. Toronto is not special... or inept: it's because of how asphalt is made.
Dr. Hesps discovery of asphalt cement being diluted with waste engine oil residue explains alot. The high parafin content of engine oils is the problem. Saturated hydrocarbons (parafin wax) is like adding candles to your roads. At room temperature, candles are soft and pliable, but once frozen, they are brittle and shatter when dropped. The same tension differences when its mixed in asphalt cement causes cracking due to thermal changes. The cracks allow moisture between the layers which pops the top layer off making the beginnings of pot holes.

The answer is removing additives from asphalt cement, specifying high quality a/c (stop buying the cheapest asphalt on earth), training contractors on how to work with quality asphalt, and by protecting all new asphalt with an in-depth penetrating low wax sealer which protects against degradation due to road chemicals and weather.

The problem is that government is influenced by the multi billion dollar asphalt industry and by reducing asphalt longevity, the asphalt industry stands to grow at a much faster pace at the taxpayers expense.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14331 posts
2610 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote:
Jan 16th, 2016 9:08 am
They're simply driving it like the leased it. Which in most cases is what they did.
True. Fake ballers.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
4993 posts
1485 upvotes
ON
Now ?? They have been covered in potholes since I have first seen them, its not an odd thing around here. These holes however were somewhat out of the ordinary.
Black Creek ,Kodak drive
http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1 ... /image.jpg
Bayview
http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thes ... erbox.jpeg
http://www.windsorstar.com/cms/binary/7 ... 20Sheppard Ave.
Dufferin and Finch
http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thes ... erbox.jpeg

Etc.
May 23, 2012
413 posts
61 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
I lol'd @ 'Now'. More like always.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4757 posts
412 upvotes
Scarborough
so its basically corruption.

and people say there's little or no corruption in Canada, we're worse than 3rd world because its legalized here and nobody catches it and/or punishes those responsible.
Instead, those companies rake in millions in contracts
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
4993 posts
1485 upvotes
ON
transitguy1 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2016 1:10 pm

and people say there's little or no corruption in Canada
What people ? The one that just discovered the potholes in Toronto ?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7995 posts
793 upvotes
Ottawa
lol @ people who think there's no corruption in the US, it's just in different sectors not roadwork.

As far as quality of roads, I've seen some pretty terrible roads in the US where it snows too, the difference is that we abuse salt more in Canada so that deteriorates roads even faster. Most "large cities" in the Northern US don't get enough snow and ice to warrant the large scale use of salt; the areas that get really bad tend to be more rural and the roads there are usually either gravel or people own heavier duty vehicles.

The issue is also that when potholes appear, the municipality would rather patch/fill them than redo the entire street section due to traffic flow concerns.
Nov 20, 2014
643 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto, ON
speaking of shtty roads...has anyone else noticed the sht job the contractors did on the repaved part of the collector between yorkdale mall and yonge (eastbound). all uneven and not smoothed out properly especially on the left lane
PM if you have ANY questions about zoomers wireless