• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2018 4:26 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 4, 2010
244 posts
70 upvotes
Waterloo
It’s been the worst in Waterloo too. We had a very cold stretch and a few warm ups followed by flash freeze. Even the 401 we are seeing pot holes in the middle lane.
Oct 14, 2017
103 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
Here we go again this year. I've been to many parts of the world, some with very similar weather (extreme temp swings). But Toronto has the worst roads.

Last year I was in St. Petersburg Russia and their roads are in way better condition... I found this article about our road repair contractors adding use engine oil to asphalt and it seems to be the culprit.

http://nationalpost.com/posted-toronto/ ... lt-is-made

Thoughts?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7463 posts
934 upvotes
Toronto
The contractors can't do too good a job afterall.
Job security at the expense of quality and best bang for tax dollars.
Weather and road salt does play it's part.
Montreal used to have some of the worst roads as well, but on my last visit two winters ago, things improved drastically.
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
Contractor repair work for the city - the real gravy train that no one seems willing to investigate.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
8857 posts
2876 upvotes
Toronto
Could be worse... Was on the GO over the weekend and just about lost my mind when I saw this.

Side note, I've noticed 4 fixed pot holes on my usual day trip.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30698 posts
7569 upvotes
GTHA
koffey wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 4:37 pm
Side note, I've noticed 4 fixed pot holes on my usual day trip.
May 2, 2011
812 posts
130 upvotes
Oakville, ON
kthxbye wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 8:41 am
Here we go again this year. I've been to many parts of the world, some with very similar weather (extreme temp swings). But Toronto has the worst roads.

Last year I was in St. Petersburg Russia and their roads are in way better condition... I found this article about our road repair contractors adding use engine oil to asphalt and it seems to be the culprit.

http://nationalpost.com/posted-toronto/ ... lt-is-made

Thoughts?
I guarantee you that Toronto does not have the worst roads... far from it. I'm not saying they're amazing, but trust me there are much worse cities in North America. A contractor once told me this at a conference I attended... Contractors are not paid to provide a road that lasts forever, they are paid and evaluated on their ability to meet the specifications in their contract. If they meet the specifications it is a successful job for them.

Re-refined engine oil bottoms have been used for quite a while, but something has changed and we still don't know the full effects of it. This is a big issue in the industry and there are a lot of resources being put into figuring this out.

http://www.asphaltinstitute.org/re-refi ... il-bottom/
Oct 14, 2017
103 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
richuwo11 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 9:51 am
I guarantee you that Toronto does not have the worst roads... far from it. I'm not saying they're amazing, but trust me there are much worse cities in North America. A contractor once told me this at a conference I attended... Contractors are not paid to provide a road that lasts forever, they are paid and evaluated on their ability to meet the specifications in their contract. If they meet the specifications it is a successful job for them.

Re-refined engine oil bottoms have been used for quite a while, but something has changed and we still don't know the full effects of it. This is a big issue in the industry and there are a lot of resources being put into figuring this out.

http://www.asphaltinstitute.org/re-refi ... il-bottom/
Obviously, there are some places in NA that have worse roads, but Toronto is Canada's largest wealthiest city... we have 3rd world roads.

There is an easy way to check... remove refined oil for a season or for a specific section of the city and see what happens.
May 2, 2011
812 posts
130 upvotes
Oakville, ON
kthxbye wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 1:16 am
Obviously, there are some places in NA that have worse roads, but Toronto is Canada's largest wealthiest city... we have 3rd world roads.

There is an easy way to check... remove refined oil for a season or for a specific section of the city and see what happens.
It's more complicated than that. These problems don't show up immediately after paving and it is likely a combination of several factors which have not been determined yet. Additionally, the City doesn't know if this issue affects them at all. You can't just point to one article with sensational headlines and declare that the cause of all problems.

The MTO was blasted in the last AG report and has taken actions to change their policies, but they still don't know what the problem is. As a result, MTO has banned all use of recycled asphalt in the surface mixes on all Ontario highways. Other Ontario municipalities have not changed anything yet.
Oct 14, 2017
103 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
richuwo11 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 10:20 am
It's more complicated than that. These problems don't show up immediately after paving and it is likely a combination of several factors which have not been determined yet. Additionally, the City doesn't know if this issue affects them at all. You can't just point to one article with sensational headlines and declare that the cause of all problems.

The MTO was blasted in the last AG report and has taken actions to change their policies, but they still don't know what the problem is. As a result, MTO has banned all use of recycled asphalt in the surface mixes on all Ontario highways. Other Ontario municipalities have not changed anything yet.
It's an easy trial and error. Don't use refined oil in a specific section of the city and see what happens.

The roads outside the city are in much better condition. Granted they don't get as much traffic.
Aug 6, 2012
102 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
What about York Region Pothole claim? It is north of Steels...there is a pothole on Bayview, northbound, about where the Chinese temple is at. Rim a bit bent.