• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2016 8:46 am
[OP]
Jul 5, 2010
129 posts
11 upvotes
Ottawa

Toronto is so expensive for Car Insurance

So I just moved from Ottawa to Toronto where my car insurance was about $170 a month and now it's $502! I am under 25 (24 to be exact) and have an "8 star rating" since I have not had an accident in 8 years, well at all. I went to update my address the other night to find this huge pay increase per month.

What can I even do? I have been with my car insurance company for a month tomorrow. I can't cancel it, I can't really do anything. It's 300$ a month over my budget! I loved Toronto until this.

I thought about "changing my address" to my parents who live on the outskirts and saying I drive every day.. but is that fraud?
:(
Share:
57 replies
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3528 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
Cellophane wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 7:55 pm
So I just moved from Ottawa to Toronto where my car insurance was about $170 a month and now it's $502! I am under 25 (24 to be exact) and have an "8 star rating" since I have not had an accident in 8 years, well at all. I went to update my address the other night to find this huge pay increase per month.

What can I even do? I have been with my car insurance company for a month tomorrow. I can't cancel it, I can't really do anything. It's 300$ a month over my budget! I loved Toronto until this.

I thought about "changing my address" to my parents who live on the outskirts and saying I drive every day.. but is that fraud?
are you asking if blatantly lying in order to not have to pay your full insurance costs is fraud or not? really?

and yes. toronto driving is expensive. if you can't afford it, look to public transportation.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2010
129 posts
11 upvotes
Ottawa
Public transit wouldn't work cause then I would have to cancel my car insurance...
May 27, 2007
15656 posts
3055 upvotes
Toronto
Cellophane wrote:

yeah, welcome to Toronto... insurance suck balls here.

and i wont try to lie to insurance companies, that can put you on the hook in the future when they deny your claims and drop your coverage.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Banned
Dec 10, 2008
1659 posts
49 upvotes
$500 a month? Is this for real?

And then they say real-estate is overvalued.

If you have people crazy enough to pay over $6000 a year for car insurance then the condo I just bought is going to the moon!
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3476 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
Cellophane wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 8:07 pm
Public transit wouldn't work cause then I would have to cancel my car insurance...
Put it on fire and theft coverage only, leave the car at home, you'll be saving tons. ;)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
5755 posts
337 upvotes
what car do u drive? im 24 and got quoted 230 bucks a month for a 2 door bmw with an address in etobicoke. 500 is a lot for no priors
Nov 6, 2009
616 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
May be OP has a 2 door CIVIC SI.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9047 posts
245 upvotes
Cellophane wrote:

How long have you been insured as the principal operator?
Any tickets?
Did you shop around?
[OP]
Jul 5, 2010
129 posts
11 upvotes
Ottawa
I shopped around when I was in Ottawa and Belair was the cheapest. I have a 2005 Corolla. No accidents and no speeding tickets. I was told North York has a high crime rate and there are a lot of collisions so it's high.

Is there anything about cancelling after a month if it doesn't suit my needs? Like a trial period?
Feb 14, 2010
277 posts
GTA
insurance in toronto is kinda similar to Manhattan.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
7982 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
you are gonna need that high premium when one of our crazy ass drivers hits you...i almost got taken out crossing the street today because some dumbass kid on a cell phone ran a red. great day so far.

try statefarm, especially if you are a student
May 27, 2007
15656 posts
3055 upvotes
Toronto
Cellophane wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 9:16 pm
I shopped around when I was in Ottawa and Belair was the cheapest. I have a 2005 Corolla. No accidents and no speeding tickets. I was told North York has a high crime rate and there are a lot of collisions so it's high.

Is there anything about cancelling after a month if it doesn't suit my needs? Like a trial period?
are you kidding me... $500 a month for a Corolla?! :confused:
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
[OP]
Jul 5, 2010
129 posts
11 upvotes
Ottawa
I do have 2 million liability but the lady said it was only an extra 40$ for that. The car is leased so that is why I HAVE to have 2 million. The lease period ends in October so I will be leasing another car so maybe a newer vehicle will drop the cost a tad.. I hope.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15907 posts
1268 upvotes
GTA West
Cellophane wrote:
If you are considering this plan, please also consider the alternate plan of having no insurance. It is cheaper and gives you the same coverage.
Cellophane wrote:
Jul 6th, 2010 9:27 pm
I do have 2 million liability but the lady said it was only an extra 40$ for that. The car is leased so that is why I HAVE to have 2 million. The lease period ends in October so I will be leasing another car so maybe a newer vehicle will drop the cost a tad.. I hope.
Make sure you go to the kanetix site and get a comparison of quotes. I have seen huge differences from one insurer to another.
If you went to university, find out if any insurance provider gives an alumni discount.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
× < >