Automotive

Locked: Toronto is so expensive for Car Insurance

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2016 8:46 am
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
Cellophane wrote: I just looked and my college has an auto insurance thing for alumni. As well as my work has something through RBC.

I haven't had any kinds of tickets at all. I have had it in my name since the beginning of June 2010 so a month. And I do have my G yes.

I thought cancelling would cost me like cancelling a cell phone contract.
No I meant since when have you had insurance under your name and as a principal operator? Like your insurance history...

If this is your first policy as a PO that could be another reason why it's so high...
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
Insurance in Toronto is high but not that high. It must be a mistake. But I don't understand why can't you cancel if they changed the premium? Any change means it's a new contract and you should be able to cancel it.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
As I work for an insurance company I think I can provide a bit of insight here. Corollas are underwritten under a different framework. We actually factor in the accidents that you will undoubtedly get into. Just be thankful your corolla isn't registered in Brampton/malton, you would be looking at $1-200 increase minimum (over Toronto rates). Few questions:

Is the corolla hunter green or champagne?
Do you have a decorative cd hanging from the rear view mirror?
Do you have a gold or silver Kleenex box in the rear of the vehicle?
How often do you change your blinker fluid?

Blinker insurance is huge on these cars.....avg corolla goes through 3 pairs of blinkers per year. If you can live without the blinker coverage, you can probably get your rate down to $300.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
nasa25 wrote: Is the corolla hunter green or champagne?
Also, do you use white or dark gloves when you drive?
Jul 4, 2010
17 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
nasa25 wrote: As I work for an insurance company I think I can provide a bit of insight here. Corollas are underwritten under a different framework. We actually factor in the accidents that you will undoubtedly get into. Just be thankful your corolla isn't registered in Brampton/malton, you would be looking at $1-200 increase minimum (over Toronto rates). Few questions:

Blinker insurance is huge on these cars.....avg corolla goes through 3 pairs of blinkers per year. If you can live without the blinker coverage, you can probably get your rate down to $300.
What's the problem with Corolla's? I just bought a black, '01 Corolla and my rates went up 50 bucks a month. And yes, I live in Brampton. Lots of Indians perping insurance fraud, or what?
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2578 posts
148 upvotes
nasa25 wrote: As I work for an insurance company I think I can provide a bit of insight here. Corollas are underwritten under a different framework. We actually factor in the accidents that you will undoubtedly get into. Just be thankful your corolla isn't registered in Brampton/malton, you would be looking at $1-200 increase minimum (over Toronto rates). Few questions:

funny you post this, both of my not-at-faults, were caused by champagne colored Corollas. In Brampton.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
achilles82 wrote: What's the problem with Corolla's? I just bought a black, '01 Corolla and my rates went up 50 bucks a month. And yes, I live in Brampton. Lots of Indians perping insurance fraud, or what?
Even though you live in traditionally high rate area as far as corollas are concerned, the colour saved you on this one. Don't even ask what you're rate would have been if you had have went with the 98 or 99 model in hunter green.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Insider wrote: funny you post this, both of my not-at-faults, were caused by champagne colored Corollas. In Brampton.
You need corolla radar. Installing it will decrease your insurance, by 30% if you live in Brampton.
Dec 22, 2009
131 posts
246 upvotes
GT Eh
How about insurance for 93 Accords and 94 Camrys. I see those everywhere in Brampton. :)
Jul 5, 2010
147 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa
rems wrote: No I meant since when have you had insurance under your name and as a principal operator? Like your insurance history...

If this is your first policy as a PO that could be another reason why it's so high...
I have only ever been a primary since June with any company. I was under my dad until then.
Jul 5, 2010
147 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa

1) It's a light green so no.
2) No...
3) and no again.. (is this a serious question?)
4) I don't know.. I don't fix anything the mechanic does.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
Cellophane wrote: I have only ever been a primary since June with any company. I was under my dad until then.
Yea that might be the reason it`s so high. If you were only an occasional operator, then technically, you don`t get as much experience as someone who is the primary driver of a vehicle and hence a more credible (good driving) history
Jul 5, 2010
147 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa
rems wrote: Yea that might be the reason it`s so high. If you were only an occasional operator, then technically, you don`t get as much experience as someone who is the primary driver of a vehicle and hence a more credible (good driving) history
Ya but how was I getting $141 in Ottawa? That's what I signed up with June 1st before I moved here.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
Cellophane wrote: Ya but how was I getting $141 in Ottawa? That's what I signed up with June 1st before I moved here.
you were under your parents as an occasional driver? occasional driver is definitely less than primary...
Im assuming they had their home insurance with the same company - multiproduct discount...
Did you have more than 1 vehicle insured with them? - multivehicle discount...
Maybe your dad belonged to a group that got a discount...
Did you have the same company for a while? - Loyalty discount...
Nov 13, 2007
881 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
ya.. Belair 's rate has gone up through the roof. Mine is up for renewal in 2 months, another 20% increase for no reason.

I like their customer service but i'm not stupid. Good bye Belair.

ps .. From the online quote, Belair's quote is 2X the cheapest provider. So they are actually giving me a discount there... lol
Jul 5, 2010
147 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa
rems wrote: you were under your parents as an occasional driver? occasional driver is definitely less than primary...
Im assuming they had their home insurance with the same company - multiproduct discount...
Did you have more than 1 vehicle insured with them? - multivehicle discount...
Maybe your dad belonged to a group that got a discount...
Did you have the same company for a while? - Loyalty discount...
No no, when I signed up as a primary in June that was MY rate. I bought the car in order to move and never changed my address until a month later which was a few nights ago.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4235 posts
880 upvotes
Ottawa
Poor you, I moved from Toronto to Ottawa to escape high prices. What I pay to insure two vehicles I couldn't even insure one in Toronto.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
Cellophane wrote: No no, when I signed up as a primary in June that was MY rate. I bought the car in order to move and never changed my address until a month later which was a few nights ago.
So 141 was what you were paying in Ottawa? Were you still living with your parents cuz some of those discounts would still apply...
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
2457 posts
206 upvotes
Cellophane wrote: I do have 2 million liability but the lady said it was only an extra 40$ for that. The car is leased so that is why I HAVE to have 2 million. The lease period ends in October so I will be leasing another car so maybe a newer vehicle will drop the cost a tad.. I hope.
IIRC I only needed 1 million on my leased car.
Banned
Nov 25, 2005
1262 posts
8 upvotes
get a new insurnace company
you are over paying even for toronto standard