• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2014 11:54 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 7, 2013
4 posts

Toronto Suit Shop Question

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a basic tailored suit for work around the $300-$500 range around downtown Toronto. I found the following companies, does anyone have positive/negative experiences with them? Also wondering the price range and quality for each as well.
  • Indochino
  • MADE
  • EPH Apparel
  • Knot Standard
  • Suit Supply
If anyone else has other suggestions, I'm open to them as well. Thanks!

Realize I posted it in the wrong sub forum before, so I reposted it here.
9 replies
Deal Addict
May 20, 2008
1301 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
never tried indo; i've been and it seems the price is on the high side given it's all house fabric + half canvas

eph: you get what you paid for. it's definitely for the budget minded, but don't expect it to last 5 to 7 years.

never been to made; i actually don't hear much about them aside from here.

u might want to also check out surmesur and IM Label. the former has a walk in store front on Queen and West of Jarvis; the latter has a location at King & Yonge that is appointment only. Both will have stuff at your price point. I have tried both, and it's pretty much par for the course. Surmesur they had to remake my shirt, IM I was ok with.

suit supply might be a viable alternative IF you fit their stuff out of the box; make sure the sleeve length doesn't need work, or it'll be a pain in the ass especially if it's surgeon cuff. The in house alteration cost for that alone is something like 80 bucks.
Jan 28, 2012
448 posts
36 upvotes
MADE is out of the price range you stated. I think they starts at $899.

Indo has increased their price gradually. I think their quality is OK but it is hard to get the right fit, even if you measure in person.

Lots of talk about Spier and MacKay on RFD. They are outside of downtown Toronto but they seem to provide quality stuffs at great price. I am having a couple of shirts being made by them but never try the suit yet.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2008
1301 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
zinc5212 wrote: MADE is out of the price range you stated. I think they starts at $899.

Indo has increased their price gradually. I think their quality is OK but it is hard to get the right fit, even if you measure in person.

Lots of talk about Spier and MacKay on RFD. They are outside of downtown Toronto but they seem to provide quality stuffs at great price. I am having a couple of shirts being made by them but never try the suit yet.
I left Hamilton at 1:45 yesterday.

By the time I got back to the core, it was 3:30. I reached Sauga by 2:20 ish. It was RIDICULOUS after that point. Actually thought about popping by S&M until I saw the traffic on the screen and it literally was damned if u do and damned if u don't.
Jan 28, 2012
448 posts
36 upvotes
Rick said that he is trying to set up a pop up shop in Toronto so hopefully it will be easier for us.

I did drop by suitsupply store a few days ago. Tried on some sport coats and they fit me quite well.

OP, suit supply has nice suits. However, I suggest you try them on personally to make sure the fit is right as they have many different models with different fits.
Apr 17, 2013
921 posts
153 upvotes
Gta
zinc5212 wrote: MADE is out of the price range you stated. I think they starts at $899.

I'm getting a suit made by Spier and Mackay and should be ready at the end of sept. When is your shirts coming?

I'm hoping Rick can speed up the process of MTM shirting, waiting one month is too long for me
Jan 28, 2012
448 posts
36 upvotes
Meditech82 wrote: I'm getting a suit made by Spier and Mackay and should be ready at the end of sept. When is your shirts coming?

I'm hoping Rick can speed up the process of MTM shirting, waiting one month is too long for me
I ordered back in late July. I got my first shirt in about 4-5 weeks. This is my very first one and had some problems with the fit (I wasn't measured in person). I sent it back for remake and sent one of my own shirts for reference. Now I am waiting. My first impression with that shirt is that it is well made. However, the fabric of the shirt isn't as good as I expected. It was one of the fabrics on sale and I have never seen it online again. Probably one of the close out ones. There are some new fabrics rick has put up recently. I want to order some once I get the fit right.
Apr 17, 2013
921 posts
153 upvotes
Gta
zinc5212 wrote: I ordered back in late July. I got my first shirt in about 4-5 weeks. This is my very first one and had some problems with the fit (I wasn't measured in person). I sent it back for remake and sent one of my own shirts for reference. Now I am waiting. My first impression with that shirt is that it is well made. However, the fabric of the shirt isn't as good as I expected. It was one of the fabrics on sale and I have never seen it online again. Probably one of the close out ones. There are some new fabrics rick has put up recently. I want to order some once I get the fit right.
I got measured in person and the first go wasn't bang on but that was corrected very quick. I also got one of the close out fabrics but it was good quality. I had Rick measure one of my Luxire collars for duplication with some minor tweaks.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Luxire but they can do pretty much any type of shirt, Spier and Mackay can also do the same.

I can't think of any other MTM company in the GTA that can offer the prices that Spier and Mackay does WITH the customization they offer.
Jan 28, 2012
448 posts
36 upvotes
Meditech82 wrote: I got measured in person and the first go wasn't bang on but that was corrected very quick. I also got one of the close out fabrics but it was good quality. I had Rick measure one of my Luxire collars for duplication with some minor tweaks.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Luxire but they can do pretty much any type of shirt, Spier and Mackay can also do the same.

I can't think of any other MTM company in the GTA that can offer the prices that Spier and Mackay does WITH the customization they offer.
Yes. I know about Luxire. I followed the thread on SF for a while until they started charging for shipping. I was planning to try shirt and pea coat with them. You are right. I have dealt with couple of places for shirts and their customization are as flexible.
Apr 17, 2013
921 posts
153 upvotes
Gta
zinc5212 wrote: Yes. I know about Luxire. I followed the thread on SF for a while until they started charging for shipping. I was planning to try shirt and pea coat with them. You are right. I have dealt with couple of places for shirts and their customization are as flexible.
Yeah I was very disappointed when they did that so that deterred me from buying again. Plus they messed up on two of my shirts and their return policy stinks so I will no longer buy anything from them. I"m all for supporting a local business

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)