• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2019 1:55 am
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 10, 2018
46 posts
2 upvotes

Toronto Taxi Scam

I think a surefire way to nab the criminals involved in the neverending taxi scam in Toronto where debit cards are stolen from innocent passengers would be if there were undercover cops who want a ride home, and they keep a flashlight (if small) on them (in their pocket or on a keychain) to verify the card, and if the customer says it is not his or her card, the driver will likely insist that it is the customer's card, assuming the customer is under the influence of alcohol (whom the scammer wants to take advantage of), and the scammer will be in for a surprise when the customer he took is actually revealed to be a police officer who reveals his police badge, and making an on-the-spot arrest, and eventually seizing the stolen items and giving the victims back the money that was stolen. And these undercover cops should be stationed to the Downtown core every night, no questions asked.

I also believe that the taxi scams are likely an organized crime ring, and the more undercover police officers there are, the more likely the crime ring will be busted.

I did learn that one scammer was facing nearly 200 charges of debit card fraud in September 2017. There has been no reports on the verdict yet, but chances are he's getting a life sentence.
34 replies
Nov 9, 2005
541 posts
35 upvotes
Police are too busy catching people doing rolling stops at stop signs. Heck they don't even have time to slow down the record high murder rate.

While I do agree sting operations might be benificial it will not happen in the foreseeable future and most likely never.
Jun 18, 2018
353 posts
139 upvotes
Cybersid wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 2:37 pm
Police are too busy catching people doing rolling stops at stop signs. Heck they don't even have time to slow down the record high murder rate.

While I do agree sting operations might be benificial it will not happen in the foreseeable future and most likely never.
So true. I despise cops who camp at stop signs just for that...
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20996 posts
10410 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Electrah wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 2:43 pm
It’s about meeting quotas/dat easy money.

Tickets ain’t gonna write themselves.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
7461 posts
7760 upvotes
The GTA taxi business is one of the least transparent industries in Canada. Uber and Lyft have my undieing business for that reason.

Having the taxi drivers hassle you for taking Uber at the airport is just icing on this cake.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5426 posts
661 upvotes
Scarborough
those airport limo's are the worst
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7635 posts
1284 upvotes
Electrah wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 2:43 pm
to be fair, they wanna be spending their time waiting for someone to do a rolling stop as much as you love getting ticketed for it. its part of the job, needs to get done, so they stick it out until they hit their tax target...err..ticket target.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3485 posts
624 upvotes
I thought police just sit at parking lots catching up, when they have time for tickets and even catching scammers...
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4305 posts
502 upvotes
Ottawa
Engi-Nir wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 9:24 pm
I thought police just sit at parking lots catching up, when they have time for tickets and even catching scammers...
Police officers sitting in parking lots are often writing reports. That's or they're on a cofee break or meal break (which they're entitled to, like any other employee...).
Jul 1, 2018
21 posts
1 upvote
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 3:13 pm
The GTA taxi business is one of the least transparent industries in Canada. Uber and Lyft have my undieing business for that reason.

Having the taxi drivers hassle you for taking Uber at the airport is just icing on this cake.
Yup, that is why whenever I take taxis I pay cash only
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1186 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
Add some stickers to the card, done.
Or if you really know what you're doing (to avoid hitting the magnetic strip/the chip/the rfid components), add some holes to your card to make it distinct.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
2850 posts
468 upvotes
Water loo
cash is king with taxies
Nov 9, 2005
541 posts
35 upvotes
jasonchewy wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 10:20 am
Or if you really know what you're doing (to avoid hitting the magnetic strip/the chip/the rfid components), add some holes to your card to make it distinct.
This is actually a very smart idea, upvote for the tip!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
9026 posts
54 upvotes
Oakville, ON
jasonchewy wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 10:20 am
I have a Hello Kitty sticker on the back of my card. :lol:

Plus I never let taxi drivers or anyone else handle my card. If they refuse to let me tap or insert the card, I go elsewhere.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green