Off Topic

Toronto Telemarketing: Air Duct Cleaning Services

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2019 2:45 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 27, 2015
1 posts
II got fed up and sent them to the address of a local biker clubhouse...don't know how that worked out!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8635 posts
1964 upvotes
London
LucianoD778328 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2015 3:10 pm
II got fed up and sent them to the address of a local biker clubhouse...don't know how that worked out!
I like your idea, but they probably keep track of the phone number that sent them to that address...
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2007
1833 posts
596 upvotes
Guelph
I actually listen to the whole spew. I agree and tell them to come out. They get me details, then I tell them when they come, they have to buzz my super and get the ok from them and who to bill.

They usually hang up on me :-/
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12068 posts
1784 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I got one of these calls recently!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Dec 20, 2013
422 posts
42 upvotes
Ontario
I got these calls all the time but the callers were "ok": I said I lived in a building and my landlord took care of this thing, and they then said "oh, thank you and bye bye".
I thought they were calling from Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7430 posts
1222 upvotes
my buddy get them to come over, and when they ring the door bell, he then answers and says no one agreed to duct cleaning here?

LOL
May 12, 2004
705 posts
39 upvotes
I'm going to start giving an address for a home that's in the process of being torn down in my area.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
2896 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
projectmoonlightcafe wrote:
Apr 10th, 2014 10:39 am
[...]
Apparently a Duct Cleaning company was falsifying my phone number as their originating number for EVERY SINGLE OUTGOING CALL they make. If the person wasn't available to pick up, my number would show on their call display.
[...]
this recently happened to me :(

a nice guy (electrician), who told he kept getting calls from my number.

he was even able to tell me the "name display" (my name) that showed up on his cellphone. this was shocking to me...

i told him it was probably a scam and someone was faking my number via VOIP. but it's so hard to make people understand this concept. not many people know you can fake a # via VOIP.
Aug 16, 2017
847 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
i got one of these calls recently, the accent is Indian (India) if I remember correctly, I just hung up after listening for 1 minute..
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9476 posts
1047 upvotes
Toronto
GSXXRR wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 12:10 pm
this recently happened to me :(

a nice guy (electrician), who told he kept getting calls from my number.

he was even able to tell me the "name display" (my name) that showed up on his cellphone. this was shocking to me...

i told him it was probably a scam and someone was faking my number via VOIP. but it's so hard to make people understand this concept. not many people know you can fake a # via VOIP.
Had this same thing happen to me before.

Worst part was I got an endless barrage of "someone called me from this number" about every 10 minutes for 3 days straight. Then it finally stopped.

I find my house phone barely gets the duct cleaning calls, but about 4-5 times per day I get the "thank you for choosing WestJet" or "Thankyou for choosing Marriott" scams.
Jan 16, 2018
2 posts
Toronto
definitely the way to go, as others have said, is schedule them to come out to your place. Then either dont answer the door or tell them you never booked any duct cleaning.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9127 posts
1266 upvotes
Toronto
mcherun636516436875677198 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 3:48 am
definitely the way to go, as others have said, is schedule them to come out to your place. Then either dont answer the door or tell them you never booked any duct cleaning.
Sure but that doesn't guarantee they will stop calling you.

If they wanna play revenge, now they know exactly who you are, where you live. They could target you and steal your identity, or whatever heck these obviously scum bags can do to you. Maybe they will threaten you, your family, etc. Depends on how pissed they are, after you purposely fooled them.

In this day and age, a simple honking at someone who cut you off on the road, can turn into getting shot or punched. I wouldn't recommend this method, unless you are a single male, with no family and ready for a fight.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6892 posts
1408 upvotes
Mississauga
I find it goes through cycles. We seem to get a lot for a few weeks and then nothing for a couple of months.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2002
1091 posts
151 upvotes
I always go thru the whole booking, and they ask how many sq foot my home is and i say something like 10000 sq/ft. They then ask how many bedrooms I have, and I say 10. Then they transfer me to their supervisor to get a quote for such a large home.