Hot Deals

Toronto to Tokyo, Japan - $627 to $662 CAD roundtrip including taxes | ANA flights

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2017 10:19 am
Mar 12, 2004
701 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nymira wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 8:35 pm
This was United, and then then Chicago > Haneda (Tokyo) operated by ANA. https://pastebin.com/pL4Az3Lb Let me know if that wasn't what you were looking for.
Thanks. It seems those are similar to the cheap UA fares from YYZ to south east Asia earlier this month - NH (or UA) metal but sold by UA. Those fares sometimes were bookable on UA.com if you searched using multi-city by segments (not this time). Less common but those tickets also possible sold by NH - usually slightly more than UA tickets (I think UA/NH have a JV transpacific.) However, those NH tickets were generally not bookable on NH website directly.
I recall fares like this a few times in the last few years. it is generally safe for a UA issued 016 ticket - never heard anyone of them got cancelled.
However, it is pretty much impossible to change those tickets through the OTAs - you'd better hope your plan is firm.
Jun 14, 2011
506 posts
1880 upvotes
ericw wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 8:07 pm
Is it possible that the OTAs have different Point of Sale and they have access to fares that you wouldn't? I am not a travel agent but I know enough as a frequent flyer.
Not sure about ANA but some asian and south American airlines routinely do that.
You are right about POS, but they usually restrict sales in original area which is area 1 here, I've never seen any ex-area1 discount fare are not available in CANADA/US pos. PS: are you on Flyertalk as well? I am surprised some one from FT pmed me here!
Nov 22, 2014
286 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Ah...makes sense now. I got lucky as well, and got the Toronto-> Taiwan and Japan deal from Sept for $6xx. Have fun!
Mar 12, 2004
701 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto, ON
khkchan wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 9:37 pm
Seems most people believe their credit card travel insurance covers them in case the tickets bought thought these unheard of agents go haywire. Let me try to explain what credit card covers

Trip cancellation - generally if you becomes very sick, you lost your job, etc before your trip starts - you are covered. You can claim back the non refundable fares or hotel booking. You will need a doctor note to substantiate your claim.

Trip interruption - during your trip, you become very sick or something happen back home, you are covered. Insurance will pay change fee or just buy you a new ticket home. You will also need doctor note

Trip delay - during your onward journey you miss a connection that results into arriving your destination 4 or 6 hours later than original scheduled arrival time - your are covered in case you need to get a hotel room, buy a book to read, have additional meals at airport. You will need an airline delay certificate for the claim. Similar for baggage delay insurance.

The scenario here is that if the travel agent somehow unable to honor the ticket before the trip starts, no insurance will cover this. This is just a merchant dispute and you can probably do a charge back if you are within the statutory day limit ( believe it is 90 days)

I don’t think any insurance will reimburse you are full price walk up fare on another airlines just to let you start your vacation on time. Even if they do, there is a max limit of about $1000 per person that any last minute full fare will most likely exceed that.
you are right - most credit card insurance coverage is pretty weak and covers (limited) specified perils only.
But some paid annual plans do cover denied board and bankrupt travel suppliers. I used to purchase blue shield annual plan through aeroplan.com every year because it was the only policy in Canada covers everything except for a few reasonable exclusions. None of the other polices I researched provided similar coverage - TD, RBC, RSA, manulife, sunlife, .....
Mar 12, 2004
701 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto, ON
gokeeper wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 9:44 pm
You are right about POS, but they usually restrict sales in original area which is area 1 here, I've never seen any ex-area1 discount fare are not available in CANADA/US pos. PS: are you on Flyertalk as well? I am surprised some one from FT pmed me here!
lol yes I am on FT.
Jun 14, 2011
506 posts
1880 upvotes
ericw wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 9:50 pm
lol yes I am on FT.
lol, glad to meet another Fter here. I flew about 250K miles this year, mainly on UA, completely gave up AC years ago Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9251 posts
858 upvotes
I need some education on this topic.

I booked my flights through exploreTrip. I got a ANA and a UA confirmation number as well as etickets. I can login and select seats.

I booked all my previous flights directly with the airlines so I am not well informed in thia area.
Nov 17, 2014
223 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just booked on faregeek. Got a confirmation email, but nothing with a reservation number or ticket number to check on ANA, so far.

Edit: Called Faregeek, got my tickets, confirmation shows up on ANA site
Last edited by samuraizero on Nov 15th, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 19, 2007
305 posts
17 upvotes
Boxing Day 2016, there was a similarly priced deal with AC, direct flight from YYZ/HND. Holding out hoping for the same deal this year.
Dec 21, 2010
64 posts
16 upvotes
Looking at some fare rules and comments posted here I notice the following:

The proper name for ANA is ALL Nippon Airways not Air Nipon Airways. Given the accuracy of Japanese I doubt the real ANA will make such mistake. I wonder where that charge comes from.

One agent charges $130 service fee on top of airline imposed change fee of $300, in case you need to change your ticket. Fare difference will also be collected.

I am just too nervous to use those second tier travel agents.
Dec 16, 2015
723 posts
324 upvotes
Canada
samuraizero wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 10:03 pm
Just booked on faregeek. Got a confirmation email, but nothing with a reservation number or ticket number to check on ANA, so far.

Edit: Called Faregeek, got my tickets, confirmation shows up on ANA site
Great! ;) will be going for the second time next year

I love JP
Nov 17, 2014
223 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Redsanta wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 12:50 am
Great! ;) will be going for the second time next year

I love JP
This will be my second time going - but not this year.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2010
1785 posts
179 upvotes
Looking from Toronto to Tokyo . Departure : 15th Decemeber . Back 18th December ( Yes I know its a very short trip ) . I cant find any reasonable flight. AC direct is 2600 and via US on United/AC/ANA is 1500 .
May 7, 2015
19 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
ahato wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 10:01 am
Looking from Toronto to Tokyo . Departure : 15th Decemeber . Back 18th December ( Yes I know its a very short trip ) . I cant find any reasonable flight. AC direct is 2600 and via US on United/AC/ANA is 1500 .
I can't find anything better than $1400; tried a bunch of different sites. As a heads-up (incase you haven't flown to Asia), yes it's an incredibly short trip, but also you don't get there until the following day in their local time. So if you leave the 15th, you actually usually arrive the evening of the 16th, and then fly out the 18th in Tokyo, but also arrive on the 18th in Canada. So you're there for less than 2 days (your only full day is the 17th and a good chunk of the 18th).
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1512 posts
343 upvotes
nymira wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 10:31 am
I can't find anything better than $1400; tried a bunch of different sites. As a heads-up (incase you haven't flown to Asia), yes it's an incredibly short trip, but also you don't get there until the following day in their local time. So if you leave the 15th, you actually usually arrive the evening of the 16th, and then fly out the 18th in Tokyo, but also arrive on the 18th in Canada. So you're there for less than 2 days (your only full day is the 17th and a good chunk of the 18th).
I'm seeing some in 2018 for $1,000 per ticket, but it's a far cry from the $640 posted.