• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2023 9:53 am
Apr 2, 2009
36 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto

Toronto Urban Fellows Program

Hi!

I applied for the Ontario Internship Program (OIP), and there was an amazing support forum during the application process on Red Flags Deals. I thought it might be nice to start up a similar forum for the Toronto Urban Fellows Program. ( http://www.toronto.ca/urbanfellows/ ) Has anyone else applied? I received an email saying that got my application, but haven't heard anything else since then.

Thanks,

Blue and Yellow
174 replies
Jun 23, 2009
3 posts
5 upvotes
I have not heard back - perhaps I didn't make the interview cut. Or, things are slowed by the strike. Anyone hear anything yet?
Apr 2, 2009
36 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Haven't heard anything, but staying hopeful! What is your educational background? ~Blue and Yellow
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1693 posts
1946 upvotes
vancouver
Wow. Pay is so much higher than OIP.'

What are the health benefits like?
Jun 23, 2009
3 posts
5 upvotes
BlueandYellow wrote: Haven't heard anything, but staying hopeful! What is your educational background? ~Blue and Yellow
MA in new media and PhD (ABD) in human rights and communication. You?

I understand that the interviews have not yet been held as a result of the labour disruption. I wonder if they will have to re-post the call - the HR department message indicates all jobs in progress will be re-posted and people will have to reapply.
Apr 2, 2009
36 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
MES (Environmental and Resource Studies), focusing on Environmental Policy.

Where did you get the information that they might have to re-post the jobs? Do you have a link for it? I would expect that after the strike started, they wouldn't be able to "accept" applications, and would require people to re-apply. That makes sense, people could have been disadvantaged if they had questions that couldn't be answered because the strike was on. I really hope that that doesn't apply for the Urban Fellows Program. I would imagine it would really delay things. It sounded like they got a lot of applications. I didn't even get a confirmation email that they had received my application until a week and a half after the deadline!! So, imagine having to process them all again!

~Blue and Yellow
Jun 23, 2009
3 posts
5 upvotes
BlueandYellow wrote:
Where did you get the information that they might have to re-post the jobs? Do you have a link for it?
I first checked the city's employment page - there is a message there indicating that jobs will be re-posted. I then emailed the TUF Program to ask if they too would be suspending their search. In response I received an automated email reply indicating that "interviews will not be scheduled during the disruption" suggesting that there will not be a new call for this program.

I'm sure the competition will be tough - this is a great opportunity.
Apr 6, 2009
22 posts
2 upvotes
Hi Everyone;

I recived an email a while back (end of June) to complete an assignment for the program and send it back within 3 days. Did anyone else do this?
Apr 2, 2009
36 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Oh dear... no, I didn't get an email about that. That isn't a good sign :S When did they email you the package? Did you turn down the OIP job?

Thanks,

BlueandYellow
Jul 16, 2009
1 posts
1 upvote
I also did not receive a package... i think this likely means we did not make the cut. Too bad!
Jul 21, 2009
2 posts
1 upvote
I had emailed at the end of June as I was heading out of town for the summer and all they said was that they were not doing interviews until after the strike.

But I also did not get an assignment package...what did they want you to do?

I guess I didn't make the cut either...would be nice if there were a little more transparency, but oh well. Guess I can go about making set plans for next year!
Apr 2, 2009
36 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
At least you heard back from them. Sounds like you still have a chance! I find it bizarre they would email some people and not everyone (unless you still have a chance). I haven't heard anything since they confirmed they received my application. Welcome to the thread :)
Jul 21, 2009
2 posts
1 upvote
Well, the only reason they emailed was because I emailed them...frankly it looked like a standard reply that they would give to anyone. But actually saying that they would be sending out assignments to those who have been chosen for the next stage would have been nice...
Aug 12, 2009
2 posts
I received an email about the assignment too and had to get it done in three days.

I got a call for an interview this week. Don't be discouraged if you didn't get this far yet -- everything was at a stand still due to the labour strike.

If anyone is interested, I asked the person who called me about the numbers involved. Based on what she said, over 1000 people applied, out of which 50 people are being interviewed. The chances of securing one of those 13 placements is slim, but there's a chance!

Good luck.
Apr 6, 2009
22 posts
2 upvotes
KK01 wrote: I received an email about the assignment too and had to get it done in three days.

I got a call for an interview this week. Don't be discouraged if you didn't get this far yet -- everything was at a stand still due to the labour strike.

If anyone is interested, I asked the person who called me about the numbers involved. Based on what she said, over 1000 people applied, out of which 50 people are being interviewed. The chances of securing one of those 13 placements is slim, but there's a chance!

Good luck.
Hey!

I got an interview too, mine is next Wednesday. It sounds like it will be very competitive!
Apr 6, 2009
22 posts
2 upvotes
KK01 wrote: I received an email about the assignment too and had to get it done in three days.

Good luck.
Hey!

I got an interview too, mine is next Wednesday. It sounds like it will be very competitive!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)