Automotive

Touchless carwash vs soft cloth

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2006 6:28 pm
Tags:
None
Member
Mar 19, 2003
418 posts
44 upvotes

Touchless carwash vs soft cloth

So, which is better?

I hear the *new* touchless carwash from Esso, where the waterjets circle around u is pretty good. Rumors say, as good as soft cloth but without the cons (scratches).

I know the drive thru touchless is garbage, but how does the revolving touchless compare?
13 replies
Jr. Member
Feb 5, 2006
198 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
dablackgoku1234 wrote:So, which is better?

I hear the *new* touchless carwash from Esso, where the waterjets circle around u is pretty good. Rumors say, as good as soft cloth but without the cons (scratches).

I know the drive thru touchless is garbage, but how does the revolving touchless compare?
I like Sunoco Ecowash, the Pressure gun will rotate 360 around ur car and it's super clean.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
1529 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
i drive a sport wagon, softcloths & drive-in touchless cannot wash my hatch clean and properly...until Sunoco Introduce the railless touchless, w/ water spray gun circle
around the car..can finally clean my car properly....and since it's railless,
for sure there is no damage to the rims, as sometimes the rails in
other carwash might dent/curbage the rim...
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2072 posts
133 upvotes
I still prefer the soft cloth, although it seems these are becoming a dying breed around the GTA. I find the touchless, new and old always leave a film of dirt behind. Even though it looks clean, if you run your finger over the surface you'll find a nice layer of grime still. There is no way a touchless will ever clean as good as soft cloth since there's always something that will cling. If they increase the pressure too much, you'd be stripping paint off!
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2005
1670 posts
98 upvotes
agreed on the Sunoco touchless, best touchless wash I've found so far
Sr. Member
May 28, 2005
856 posts
15 upvotes
Montreal
shutterbug wrote:I still prefer the soft cloth, although it seems these are becoming a dying breed around the GTA. I find the touchless, new and old always leave a film of dirt behind. Even though it looks clean, if you run your finger over the surface you'll find a nice layer of grime still. There is no way a touchless will ever clean as good as soft cloth since there's always something that will cling. If they increase the pressure too much, you'd be stripping paint off!

i agree with shutterbug that touchless isn't good (tried at Esso). I do find better results at Petro-Canada with its soft cloth and i hardly doubt that those cloth can scrath a car. Even there i find that it's sometimes not thorough clean (especially by the side mirror and under my spoiler). Once i redo my car's body (some rust by the fender) and a new coat of same colour paint (frost white), i think i'll start paying the extra 50% to 100% (a.k.a 5$ to 10$) for a hand car wash and wax at least once a year.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
215 upvotes
Downsides to both, touchless uses loads of chemicals, which can deteriorate your paint, cloth can leave swirl marks over time.

If you really care that much about your paint, have it done by hand by professionals.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 10, 2002
5526 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver
Handwash in the indoor heated bays at Shell on Kennedy south of 7 (beside the MB dealership)
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
1529 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
i was told that....
the cloths itself will not scratch the car, but
little sand/rock chip gets trapped onto the cloth from the
preivous car.

correct me if i'm wrong plz...
weilyan wrote:i agree with shutterbug that touchless isn't good (tried at Esso). I do find better results at Petro-Canada with its soft cloth and i hardly doubt that those cloth can scrath a car. Even there i find that it's sometimes not thorough clean (especially by the side mirror and under my spoiler). Once i redo my car's body (some rust by the fender) and a new coat of same colour paint (frost white), i think i'll start paying the extra 50% to 100% (a.k.a 5$ to 10$) for a hand car wash and wax at least once a year.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
12804 posts
3678 upvotes
lumlum1013 wrote:i was told that....
the cloths itself will not scratch the car, but
little sand/rock chip gets trapped onto the cloth from the
preivous car.

correct me if i'm wrong plz...

It will also drag the sand around on your car. So it starts at the front, and drags all the sand/dirt all the way to the back of your car.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 29, 2005
2084 posts
46 upvotes
Neither of them...I have used softcloth car washes and I do believe it scratches the car.... a couple of times through a softcloth carwash you may not see scratches but go there often and especially if you have a black car like myself...the scratches are visible....I tried a touchless carwash only once at Esso and did not like it at all.....hence the one time only... :D ....doesn't do a great job compared to a softcloth......the best way to wash your car is do it yourself....it may seem like alot of work...but its worth it...especially once you wax it. :)
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2002
2642 posts
194 upvotes
have been using Shell's soft cloth and doesn't seem to see problems.. *touch wood*
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2005
1670 posts
98 upvotes
The Esso touchless that I tried was a huge waste of time, I took my car through it three times and it was still dirty, I gave up after that

The Sunoco touchless does a great job for a drive through wash though, if you don't have the time or patience to hand wash your car, it's a good alternative

Ben31 wrote:Neither of them...I have used softcloth car washes and I do believe it scratches the car.... a couple of times through a softcloth carwash you may not see scratches but go there often and especially if you have a black car like myself...the scratches are visible....I tried a touchless carwash only once at Esso and did not like it at all.....hence the one time only... :D ....doesn't do a great job compared to a softcloth......the best way to wash your car is do it yourself....it may seem like alot of work...but its worth it...especially once you wax it. :)
[OP]
Member
Mar 19, 2003
418 posts
44 upvotes
I went and tried out Esso's rollover touchless and the results were disappointing. I ran my fingers across my window and there was a film of dust/dirt still there.

Also, Esso's drying blowers suck...I went extra slow yet there were still water marks
× < >

Top