Tourist Prepaid SIM Card in Portugal and Spain

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2018 8:54 am
[OP]
May 19, 2017
226 posts
90 upvotes

Tourist Prepaid SIM Card in Portugal and Spain

We are going to Portugal for one week, then Spain for another week. We definitely need to have a reliable data plan for navigation, live check on bus/train schedules etc. Voice and text are not needed. I have unlocked iphone 6 that I would like to use in Portugal and Spain. I did some readings on http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/ ... _with_data and thought Vodafone seems good as the company provides the services both in Portugal and Spain.

I also found out Vodafone mobile plans for tourist in Portugal and Spain. They seem decent i.e. 15 EUR each. Question: does anyone know if the Vodafone tourist data plan that I will buy in Portugal can also be used in Spain? I read that EU roaming charges were abolished in June 2017, but I am not sure if this also covers international roaming data plan or voice plan only.

Vodafone Tourist Plan in Portugal and Spain:
1. Portugal: Travellers Prepaid Data SIM card for 15 EUR 30GB for the first 15 days
http://www.vodafone.pt/main/visitingportugal/index

2. Spain: Vodafone in Spain for Tourists for 15 EUR 4GB + 50 minutes for 30 days
https://www.vodafone.es/c/particulares/ ... -spain-vf/
20 replies
Feb 14, 2008
56 posts
14 upvotes
Calgary
There is no reason why this shouldn't work. Data roaming charges within the EU are history. Your data bucket is valid in all EU member states.

I am currently using a Vodafone CZ prepaid data sim on Vodafone NL.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
22348 posts
4240 upvotes
Waterloo
Instead of SIM, I borrowed Wi-Fi hotspots instead (much easier to be used by multiple devices in case SIM card doesn't do hotspot)
They can be picked up at airports or sent to hotel

I used them this March 2017 at LIS and BCN, they're the same sister company
https://www.portugalinternet.com/rent-wi-fi/
https://www.spaininternet.net/rent-wifi-spain/
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
[OP]
May 19, 2017
226 posts
90 upvotes
jerryhung wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 8:53 am
Instead of SIM, I borrowed Wi-Fi hotspots instead (much easier to be used by multiple devices in case SIM card doesn't do hotspot)
They can be picked up at airports or sent to hotel

I used them this March 2017 at LIS and BCN, they're the same sister company
https://www.portugalinternet.com/rent-wi-fi/
https://www.spaininternet.net/rent-wifi-spain/
Thanks. This seems a good alternative but will require to arrange separate pickup of devices in Portugal then Spain. I wonder if they allow me to pickup in Portugal, carry with me and return it in the Spain.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
22348 posts
4240 upvotes
Waterloo
GBUalways wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 9:21 am
Thanks. This seems a good alternative but will require to arrange separate pickup of devices in Portugal then Spain. I wonder if they allow me to pickup in Portugal, carry with me and return it in the Spain.
They don't, I've asked
but it's fine really, since I pick up and return at airports anyway
Just something else to consider vs. SIM card
Good luck
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
[OP]
May 19, 2017
226 posts
90 upvotes
Just to update. I used Vodafone SIM card in Portugal (15 EUR 30Gb). In Spain, I bought 2 SIM cards ie Orange (20 EUR 7 GB) and Vodafone (10 EUR 2.4GB). All sim cards are valid for 30 days with most of the time on 4G connections. Original passport is required to buy a sim card in Spain. I used my iphone as a hotspot and it worked fine.
Sep 22, 2005
615 posts
105 upvotes
BC
So Portugal Sim card couldn't be used in Spain?
How's Portugal?
GBUalways wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 2:52 am
Just to update. I used Vodafone SIM card in Portugal (15 EUR 30Gb). In Spain, I bought 2 SIM cards ie Orange (20 EUR 7 GB) and Vodafone (10 EUR 2.4GB). All sim cards are valid for 30 days with most of the time on 4G connections. Original passport is required to buy a sim card in Spain. I used my iphone as a hotspot and it worked fine.
[OP]
May 19, 2017
226 posts
90 upvotes
iceage wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 8:31 am
So Portugal Sim card couldn't be used in Spain?
How's Portugal?
The one that I got in Portugal was data only (no voice, SMS) and didn't work in Spain. I was told by Vodafone CSR in Spain that the Spain's prepaid SIM would work in Portugal and many EU countries. I will update again next week when my plane is stopping via Lisbon. I Will try the Spain's SIM at the LIS airport.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1406 posts
303 upvotes
Toronto
Could you update about this? I have read conflicting things on this and am planning on getting a sim card in the UK and hoping to use it in Germany and Ireland as well but have read that you have to be using a sim card for a while and they turn it on in another country when this has happened.
[OP]
May 19, 2017
226 posts
90 upvotes
cardle wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 5:38 pm
Could you update about this? I have read conflicting things on this and am planning on getting a sim card in the UK and hoping to use it in Germany and Ireland as well but have read that you have to be using a sim card for a while and they turn it on in another country when this has happened.
Update. I was able to use the prepaid SIM card bought from Spain in Portugal/Lisbon Airport.
May 23, 2008
589 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
Changing times: I just returned from a trip that touched on Germany, Italy, France & Benelux.
I'd planned to buy Vodafone Germany prepaid as my research showed it to be the best deal & Euro-wide coverage.

However, in Köln Vodafone they said they didn't sell it, but the Mediamarkt Vodafone desk does (think German Best Buy).
Mediamarkt - as of the day roaming charges were abolished, Vodafone will only sell to you with i.d. with a verified German address.
I speculate that that they were happy to sell to tourists when they could upcharge when you used it outside Germany, but they don't want to sell to people who will likely use it as much outside Germany as within.

o2 sold me theirs, but despite printed claims to the contrary, data did not work in Austria, Italy or France. (voice & text did).

I think you'll see this spread - the national phone companies don't want to have their cards used primarily for roaming.
[OP]
May 19, 2017
226 posts
90 upvotes
KeiFeR123 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 8:47 pm
Hi there,

My wife and I will be doing this in May. Did you end up going and what data prepaid plan did you get that worked in both Spain and Portugal. Thank you
I recommend to buy Vodafone in Portugal and Orange in Spain. See my post #6.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
4195 posts
867 upvotes
GTEH!
GBUalways wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 2:52 am
GBUalways wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 10:48 pm
I recommend to buy Vodafone in Portugal and Orange in Spain. See my post #6.
Are calls & text back to Canada included? Or is this extra?
😎
[OP]
May 19, 2017
226 posts
90 upvotes
Webhead wrote:
Jan 28th, 2018 9:20 am
Are calls & text back to Canada included? Or is this extra?
I don't check/remember. I believe it was data only, which I really cared really for maps, restaurants, train schedules. Remember, you won't use your own SIM from Canada, so your family/friends won't recognize the number. With data, you can do call or text anyway using free apps like Whatsapp, Fongo etc? If you don' t have any of those, setup them up before you leave home/Canada.