Travel

Tourist Prepaid SIM Card in Portugal and Spain

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2019 7:57 am
Jan 3, 2013
919 posts
475 upvotes
Mississauga
Just got back from Portugal and Spain. I purchased a Vodaphone sim card in Portugal for 10 Eur valid for 30 days which included 3 GB data and 500 min calls and texts within Portugal/Spain. I was able to use data in Spain - only needed data for google maps, train schedules, restaurants, light browsing. Any calls or messages back to Canada were done on Whatsapp and it worked flawlessly in both countries. There is a Vodaphone booth right in the Lisbon/ OPorto airports. They also had a 30 GB/ 2 week plan for 15 Eur.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2014
1020 posts
1206 upvotes
GiffGaff is another great choice, you can get £20 for 40 GB of data, 20GB of which can be used in Europe. Cheaper than renting a pocket WiFi. Hell, you can bring an old phone, put that SIM card in and use that as your pocket WiFi instead of renting one. Cheaper to do it that way, that's what I did when I was in GB earlier this month (got the £10 plan instead as I didn't need more than 6GB of data for 1 week).
Nov 3, 2009
138 posts
20 upvotes
looking4deals1 wrote: Just got back from Portugal and Spain. I purchased a Vodaphone sim card in Portugal for 10 Eur valid for 30 days which included 3 GB data and 500 min calls and texts within Portugal/Spain. I was able to use data in Spain - only needed data for google maps, train schedules, restaurants, light browsing. Any calls or messages back to Canada were done on Whatsapp and it worked flawlessly in both countries. There is a Vodaphone booth right in the Lisbon/ OPorto airports. They also had a 30 GB/ 2 week plan for 15 Eur.
This....

Vodaphone as soon as we landed. Handed them our phones, they set up the sims, and got the tourist plan for 2 weeks. Traveled all over Portugal then to Spain via train and had coverage everywhere without any issues.

Does anyone else notice that Europe determines data usage differently?? LOL We used our Data all day, everyday and didnt even make a dent into the GB count. Back home we are always on the max.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)