Automotive

Towing in Ontario

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2018 7:10 pm
Tags:
Mar 6, 2017
22 posts

Towing in Ontario

I've asked this question before but the reply was deleted. I'm trying to figure out what I can legally tow in Ontario.

I have a 2004 Suburban 1500 which has a kerb weight of 5,379 lbs, has a GVWR of 7,000lbs, can tow 7,200 lbs with a GCWR of 13,000 lbs. I also have a travel trailer which weighs 6141 lbs dry and has a tongue weight of 873 lbs.

By my logic the weight of the truck + hitch (100 lbs) + tongue weight is 6,352 lbs which is within the GVWR and leaves me 648lbs for me and a tank of gas.

The weight of the combined vehicle which is the truck + hitch + trailer dry weight is 11,620 lbs which leaves me 1,380 lbs for me and a tank of gas in the truck, and the remainder for water, propane and "stuff" in the trailer.

Now, from what I've read, I can legally tow up to 4,600 kgs (10141 lbs) with a combined vehicle weight of up to 11,000 kgs (24,250 lbs). So from the looks of it I'm within the legal limits of both the truck and the Province.

Can anyone confirm that I'd be driving within the law and the limitations of my G licence?
Last edited by chipsto on Sep 6th, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
Mar 6, 2017
22 posts
I'm uncertain because there are a lot of conflicting reports as to what a commercial or personal vehicle is. What weights they can tow. Whether I need a permit or not. Etc, etc. Out of all of Canada it's the most complex of the provincial towing regulations.
Last edited by chipsto on Sep 6th, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
chipsto wrote: I've asked this question before but the reply was deleted. I'm trying to figure out what I can legally tow in Ontario.

I have a 2004 Suburban 1500 which has a kerb weight of 5,379 lbs, has a GVWR of 7,000lbs, can tow 7,200 lbs with a GCWR of 13,000 lbs. I also have a travel trailer which weighs 6141 lbs dry and has a tongue weight of 873 lbs.

By my logic the weight of the truck + hitch (100 lbs) + tongue weight is 6,352 lbs which is within the GVWR and leaves me 648lbs for me and a tank of gas.

The weight of the combined vehicle which is the truck + hitch + trailer dry weight is 11,620 lbs which leaves me 1,380 lbs for me and a tank of gas in the truck, and the remainder for water, propane and "stuff" in the trailer.

Now, from what I've read, I can legally tow up to 4,600 kgs (10141 lbs) with a combined vehicle weight of up to 11,000 kgs (24,250 lbs). So from the looks of it I'm within the legal limits of both the truck and the Province.

Can anyone confirm that I'd be driving within the law and the limitations of my G licence?
you should be good to go...but...I hope you have good brake pads as econo's will get eaten up pretty fast stopping that kind of weight..also always check your tire pressure before any haul
Mar 6, 2017
22 posts
cardguy wrote: you should be good to go...but...I hope you have good brake pads as econo's will get eaten up pretty fast stopping that kind of weight..also always check your tire pressure before any haul
Thanks cardguy. It's a one off journey cross country and I'll be doing a fair bit of prep before I make the trip. I have fairly new branded pads (although not premium ones) and I have recently replaced the majority of the braking system, but the trailer brakes seem to be quite good. I can definitely feel them working. I'll also be installing a class IV hitch due to the various horror stories I've heard about the stock hitches. Probably a bigger transmission cooler, too.
Mar 6, 2017
22 posts
Additionally, when I cross through the various provinces, will I be subject to their towing laws or am I still subject to Ontario laws due to my Ontario licence and vehicle registrations?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
chipsto wrote: Additionally, when I cross through the various provinces, will I be subject to their towing laws or am I still subject to Ontario laws due to my Ontario licence and vehicle registrations?
You are subject to the traffic laws of each province as you travel through.

Feb 4, 2012
317 posts
131 upvotes
Ottawa
Yes, you're subject to traffic laws in each province in which you're towing. But if you're legal in Ontario for towing (licence, weights, etc., etc.) then you're legal in the other province (and in most states), through reciprocity agreements.

The towing challenge is that you're going to run out of cargo carrying capacity in your tow vehicle before you run out of anything else. This is almost a universal truth in towing. In your case, your truck's tow rating is reduced by what is carried by the truck -- you, your tongue weight, your passengers, the dog, etc. So your 7200 lb tow rating drops by the tongue weight, which will realistically be more like 1000 pounds when the trailer is loaded, making the weight you can tow more like 6200 pounds. From that, subtract whatever else is in the tow vehicle. Check your owner's manual but normally you get a 150-pound driver included. I think you're going to at over over your max tow rating.

So you can tow the trailer if there's nothing in it but nobody tows an empty camper. BTW, for planning purposes it's best to work with the trailer's GVWR, which is the most it can weigh.

And this is how I ended up with a dually to tow our 5th wheel lol.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
cardguy wrote: you should be good to go...but...I hope you have good brake pads as econo's will get eaten up pretty fast stopping that kind of weight..also always check your tire pressure before any haul
electric brakes on the trailer is a must at this weight
Mar 6, 2017
22 posts
Geodude19 wrote: Yes, you're subject to traffic laws in each province in which you're towing. But if you're legal in Ontario for towing (licence, weights, etc., etc.) then you're legal in the other province (and in most states), through reciprocity agreements.

The towing challenge is that you're going to run out of cargo carrying capacity in your tow vehicle before you run out of anything else. This is almost a universal truth in towing. In your case, your truck's tow rating is reduced by what is carried by the truck -- you, your tongue weight, your passengers, the dog, etc. So your 7200 lb tow rating drops by the tongue weight, which will realistically be more like 1000 pounds when the trailer is loaded, making the weight you can tow more like 6200 pounds. From that, subtract whatever else is in the tow vehicle. Check your owner's manual but normally you get a 150-pound driver included. I think you're going to at over over your max tow rating.

So you can tow the trailer if there's nothing in it but nobody tows an empty camper. BTW, for planning purposes it's best to work with the trailer's GVWR, which is the most it can weigh.

And this is how I ended up with a dually to tow our 5th wheel lol.
It will just be me and a sandwich in the truck. Nothing else. My modest amount of belongings will be in the trailer. I arrived in Canada 2 years ago with a 50 lb suitcase and although I have acquired 'stuff', I really just have what I wear, what I cook with, a snowboard, a bicycle and some tools. I'll only put water in the tank if I have any weight to spare to make the overnight stays a little more pleasant. Like I said, it's a one off, long haul journey. Not regular touring.
Mar 6, 2017
22 posts
DoorCrasher wrote: electric brakes on the trailer is a must at this weight
The trailer is dual axle with electric brakes and a brake controller in the truck.
Feb 4, 2012
317 posts
131 upvotes
Ottawa
chipsto wrote: It will just be me and a sandwich in the truck. Nothing else. My modest amount of belongings will be in the trailer. I arrived in Canada 2 years ago with a 50 lb suitcase and although I have acquired 'stuff', I really just have what I wear, what I cook with, a snowboard, a bicycle and some tools. I'll only put water in the tank if I have any weight to spare to make the overnight stays a little more pleasant. Like I said, it's a one off, long haul journey. Not regular touring.
Those Suburban 1500s are frame-based half ton trucks, so they are excellent tow vehicles and should be up to the task. Like you say, tow with the tanks empty and the weight should be pretty close to the limit but manageable. If you have a good sway control and weight distribution setup the handling should be fine. For a few years we towed with a 2001 Toyota Sequoia and pulled a 32' travel trailer. I can't remember the weights off the top of my head but we were at the max. We towed across Canada and the US three times. We used a high end weight distribution and sway control hitch and the rig handled very well. I say this because Mother Nature and Mr. Physics doesn't know you're towing as a one-off so keeping yourself safe is just as important for a one-time trip (especially if you are going to a mountainous area) or if you go out every weekend.
Mar 6, 2017
22 posts
Geodude19 wrote: Those Suburban 1500s are frame-based half ton trucks, so they are excellent tow vehicles and should be up to the task. Like you say, tow with the tanks empty and the weight should be pretty close to the limit but manageable. If you have a good sway control and weight distribution setup the handling should be fine. For a few years we towed with a 2001 Toyota Sequoia and pulled a 32' travel trailer. I can't remember the weights off the top of my head but we were at the max. We towed across Canada and the US three times. We used a high end weight distribution and sway control hitch and the rig handled very well. I say this because Mother Nature and Mr. Physics doesn't know you're towing as a one-off so keeping yourself safe is just as important for a one-time trip (especially if you are going to a mountainous area) or if you go out every weekend.
I have a weight distribution hitch, but there's no sway control. Is it worth investing in a sway control damper thingy? There is a ball for one on the hitch but not on the trailer.
Feb 4, 2012
317 posts
131 upvotes
Ottawa
I think sway control is a great idea when towing a travel trailer. IIRC they are pretty inexpensive. If your tongue weight is too light the trailer will probably sway, or at higher speeds you could experience sway (there are vids on YouTube that show trailers swaying). Also, various wind conditions that could really push the trailer around. The side of a travel trailer is a pretty big sail. The other thing is that when passing/being passed by 18-wheelers there is a noticeable suck/push and sway control will help reduce this effect.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)