• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2018 3:22 pm
[OP]
May 17, 2015
8 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON

Townhome rules in Vaughan

Hello , we recently moved to a new townhouse in Vaughan, our unit is one in the middle of 6 units in the block. According to site plan we will have a park ( in progress) in front of the house and concrete walkway NO ROAD! Yesterday we learned that our neighbors from one of the end units has built his own walkway on the side of the block and put a sign “Private Property No Trespassing “
At this point is the only way to get to the front door for any visitors. Is this even legit?
Images
  • 4096E553-93F8-4EC8-A1B1-0EAB7E87CF97.jpeg
  • A8E8E4CE-C0EB-401F-85AC-B5DE4C434B0D.jpeg
  • 0E210822-95BB-4BA4-B343-0FB615FF0BA0.jpeg
  • E4DF0F0F-B11F-4FDB-8278-32B84EA3699B.jpeg
  • 766E8723-4946-4589-96F8-3490A3794CC4.jpeg
Last edited by Kleolena on Dec 6th, 2018 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
65 replies
Jun 1, 2017
183 posts
119 upvotes
I think others can't pass that way since this is private to the end unit.
Jul 14, 2009
154 posts
13 upvotes
Richmond Hill
That concrete walkway? That's the one your neighbor built?
To be honest I don't know much about these units but from my engineering background, builders are supposed to build everything related to the property. It needs to be complete before it's handed over to the city. The owners are not allowed to build things like concrete walkways or even put their own trees until builders' work is done.
Jun 1, 2017
183 posts
119 upvotes
mefromparadise wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 4:34 pm
To be honest I don't know much about these units but from my engineering background, builders are supposed to build everything related to the property. It needs to be complete before it's handed over to the city. The owners are not allowed to build things like concrete walkways or even put their own trees until builders' work is done.
Many builders let people move in before everything is completed. Even this neighbor didn't build this concrete walkway, the path is private, although I think your neighbor is rude and funny.lol
[OP]
May 17, 2015
8 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
mefromparadise wrote: That concrete walkway? That's the one your neighbor built?
You right, the site is not complete yet and he has installed this concrete way, and even installed a security camera above. I’m just so concerned if it is even legal, how the postal services will deliver any mail, what about emergency services - ambulance, fire fighters. Does the City really always this
Images
  • image.jpg
Jun 7, 2017
472 posts
363 upvotes
mefromparadise wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 4:34 pm
Correct, although the handover status was not mentioned. Ask the developer because they may have plans for access other than what end unit constructed.
You obviously need to stay off private property.
If access to the park sucks and you did not consider that when you bought, then that would be disappointing.
Feb 12, 2008
183 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
Kleolena wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 4:51 pm
You right, the site is not complete yet and he has installed this concrete way, and even installed a security camera above. I’m just so concerned if it is even legal, how the postal services will deliver any mail, what about emergency services - ambulance, fire fighters. Does the City really always this
On the community lot plan, do they show a walkway between the units? If not, then the owner might have paid a premium for an end-unit and that space might be his to do with as he pleases. Personally I would not want strangers walking within a literal arm length of functional window that leads into my home. Please let us know what it says on the map.
[OP]
May 17, 2015
8 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
MrCeddy wrote: On the community lot plan, do they show a walkway between the units? If not, then the owner might have paid a premium for an end-unit and that space might be his to do with as he pleases. Personally I would not want strangers walking within a literal arm length of functional window that leads into my home. Please let us know what it says on the map.
This map is from sale brochures , it doesn’t show block on the right side, It was built by a different developer, but at the time we signed the contract we were sure we will have access on the side of the block
Images
  • image.jpg
Jun 7, 2017
472 posts
363 upvotes
I'm not understanding what the problem is. Presumably you can access the front walkway and park from your front door. Townhouse end units are an upgrade due to one less attached neighbor and a sliver of attached side land.

Were you expecting a community path between the blocks? If so, get the correct plan and review it. A path is not always provided, depends on development.
[OP]
May 17, 2015
8 posts
5 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Furcorn wrote: I'm not understanding what the problem is. Presumably you can access the front walkway and park from your front door. Townhouse end units are an upgrade due to one less attached neighbor and a sliver of attached side land.

Were you expecting a community path between the blocks? If so, get the correct plan and review it. A path is not always provided, depends on development.
The problem is not for us accessing the park, I personally almost don’t use front door. However if we have guests, or mail delivery , they won’t have access to the front, there is no road in the front and no any visitor parking designed in the project. If someone comes to us he generally has to park the car on our driveway and go all the way around all the blocks to access the entry bell. Just very concerned that city has approved the plan where even city services can not access habitats door bell
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
1603 posts
411 upvotes
Kleolena wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 4:51 pm
You're not getting community mailboxes? Emergency services are not going to use a walkway in your back yard, they will use the lane in the front where your driveway is. I hate to break it to you but the end units own that land. You should have received paperwork with your property lines on it and usually it includes the whole townhouse block. Even the picture you show further down shows the property line belonging to them.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
1603 posts
411 upvotes
Kleolena wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 6:40 pm
The problem is not for us accessing the park, I personally almost don’t use front door. However if we have guests, or mail delivery , they won’t have access to the front, there is no road in the front and no any visitor parking designed in the project. If someone comes to us he generally has to park the car on our driveway and go all the way around all the blocks to access the entry bell. Just very concerned that city has approved the plan where even city services can not access habitats door bell
Oh there's no door facing the driveway? Looks like you'll have to use your garage door to let guests in.
Jun 7, 2017
472 posts
363 upvotes
Flavour wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 8:01 pm
You're not getting community mailboxes? Emergency services are not going to use a walkway in your back yard, they will use the lane in the front where your driveway is. I hate to break it to you but the end units own that land. You should have received paperwork with your property lines on it and usually it includes the whole townhouse block. Even the picture you show further down shows the property line belonging to them.
I believe OP is saying that the driveway is in the back yard. The front of the home faces the park. Do you have a door in the back beside the driveway?

I would expect regular mail will be at a community mailbox. Amazon/UPS/courier would arrive at the back, as well as Emergency services.