Wheels and Tires

Toyo Observe GSi5 Winter Tires - Reviews?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2018 8:09 am
Tags:
None
42 replies
May 2, 2008
290 posts
58 upvotes
Just bought a set yesterday :) Noticeable road noise on dry pavement. Very soft compound, certainly not a tire I'd like to use outside the winter season. I have high hopes for them as excellent snow tires, whereas a tire like the Michelin X-Ice is more of a ice tire. If you're doing a lot of highway miles, it might not be the best, but for traction in deep snow and in urban driving (which is what I do) I have high expectations. Time will tell...
[OP]
Jul 4, 2005
707 posts
37 upvotes
zekele wrote:
Oct 20th, 2013 7:00 pm
Just bought a set yesterday :) Noticeable road noise on dry pavement. Very soft compound, certainly not a tire I'd like to use outside the winter season. I have high hopes for them as excellent snow tires, whereas a tire like the Michelin X-Ice is more of a ice tire. If you're doing a lot of highway miles, it might not be the best, but for traction in deep snow and in urban driving (which is what I do) I have high expectations. Time will tell...

Perfect! Please keep me updated!
:D

My summer tires are noisy, so if the winters are noisy too, I'm used to it! lol
I was considering the "Michelin X-Ice Xi3" as well, but the salesman hinted more towards the Toyo.
I occasionally drive highway (most trips are less than 30 minutes), so city driving is my main concern.

I appreciate your reply!
Jan 18, 2011
375 posts
50 upvotes
Been on these Toyos for the past 4 winter seasons with no complaints. I'll definitely be looking at these again when it comes time to replace them in about 2 years
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5678 posts
1279 upvotes
Mississauga
I like the Toyo crushed walnut shell technology. Haven't used the tires myself, opted for the X-ice Xi3 this year to give it a try.
May 2, 2008
290 posts
58 upvotes
Junk Food Junkie wrote:
Oct 20th, 2013 7:48 pm
I was considering the "Michelin X-Ice Xi3" as well, but the salesman hinted more towards the Toyo.
I occasionally drive highway (most trips are less than 30 minutes), so city driving is my main concern.!
Has the same thing, the salesman guided me to the Toyo due to the city driving. Overall they were slightly cheaper than the Michelins, and there is a mail-in rebate of $50 to $80 for the Toyo:

http://www.toyorebate.com/Default.aspx

(To be fair I think there is a similar mail-in rebate for the Michelins too).
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10595 posts
3397 upvotes
Toronto
I just bought a set for my CUV yesterday. Not installed yet.

$80 MIR as mine are 18's. I just sent in the paperwork this morning.

One of the tech's at Simply Tire said "you bought the best winter tires money can buy".

I liked the fact they come with 13/32 of an inch tread (in my size) to start.....may last a bit longer. The Michelins were 11/32
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
7029 posts
2999 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Bought these last year for my Tucson. They are noisy but I'm used to winter tires being noisy. Just turn up the stereo. :lol: They're great tires, dig right into the snow when needed and more importantly stops well on wet and dry roads. This is pretty much a good city tire. Like all tires though, you still have to drive carefully and don't drive aggressively in the winter.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Jul 4, 2005
707 posts
37 upvotes
Thank you for all your replies. It feels good knowing I'm making the right decision in this tire investment.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1325 upvotes
MS MSP wrote:
Oct 21st, 2013 11:24 am
I just bought a set for my CUV yesterday. Not installed yet.

$80 MIR as mine are 18's. I just sent in the paperwork this morning.

One of the tech's at Simply Tire said "you bought the best winter tires money can buy".

I liked the fact they come with 13/32 of an inch tread (in my size) to start.....may last a bit longer. The Michelins were 11/32
Were the X-ice and Blizzaks on your short list as well ?

Not sure if you recall, but how did the tech's at Simply Tire characterize / differentiate the likes of the Michelin' X-ice and Blizzaks when compared to the Toyo Observe GSi5 ?

And were you able to get the Toyo Observe GSi5 tires to match your OEM speed rating ?
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Oct 16, 2007
737 posts
16 upvotes
zekele wrote:
Oct 20th, 2013 9:32 pm
Has the same thing, the salesman guided me to the Toyo due to the city driving. Overall they were slightly cheaper than the Michelins, and there is a mail-in rebate of $50 to $80 for the Toyo:
).
On simplytire webste it says gsi5 is more expensive than xi3. Am i missing something?

Option 12 package with Michelin X-Ice Xi3 95T - $740.00
Option 13 package with Toyo Observe GSi-5 91T- $750.00
May 2, 2008
290 posts
58 upvotes
A quick update on my tire purchase, we've had a good few weeks of ice and snow. Overall, the tires are very good... but not exceptional. As I mentioned above, these tires are LOUD on the highway, there is both a droning and a higher-pitched whirring sound which is annoying. Grip on ice is acceptable but not brilliant, on snow is good. All perfectly acceptable, but I don't feel there is any real-world advantage over my previous tires (on a different car), which were cheaper (General Altimax Arctic).

Would I recommend this tire? Yes, with a proviso - you can probably get as good a winter tire for less. Perhaps over a certain level, it's like audio equipment - you can't really tell the difference between this expensive tire over other mid-priced tires.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2005
707 posts
37 upvotes
Thank you for your update! We haven't had much snow here, so I can't really add anything yet. But yes, they are loud! lol