Tags:
None
Jul 22, 2015
147 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Toyota Emergency Brake

Need some advice/guidance

I'm currently driving a 2015 RAV4 and park on a decline everyday.

When I approach my parking spot, while my foot is on the brakes, I put the car in park, engage the hand brakes and then release my foot; the car drops a little.

With my previous VW Golf, as soon as I engage the hand brake, there was no movement, but I would put the hand brake first and then put the car in park as I had been told the VW dealership mechanic.

I've tried it both ways and the SUV still drops.

When I spoke to Toyota, they explained that I should put the car in park first then engage the hand brake and that the drop is normal.

Am I engaging the emergency brakes correctly?

Is it normal for an SUV to drop after putting on the emergency brakes?
17 replies
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
Newmomtotwins wrote: Need some advice/guidance

When I approach my parking spot, while my foot is on the brakes, I put the car in park, engage the hand brakes and then release my foot; the car drops a little.

With my previous VW Golf, as soon as I engage the hand brake, there was no movement, but I would put the hand brake first and then put the car in park as I had been told the VW dealership mechanic.

When I spoke to Toyota, they explained that I should put the car in park first then engage the hand brake and that the drop is normal.

its normal if your ebrake needs adjusting

and yes ebrake first then shift to park....and when leaving..shift to D then remove ebrake
Mar 4, 2013
671 posts
533 upvotes
It doesn't matter whether to put on the ebrake first or put the car in park first as long as your foot is still on the brake pedal while you're doing these.

If your car's suspension drops a bit after you lifted off your foot from the brake pedal while you have the ebrake set and car's in park, that is fine as long as the car doesn't move or lunge forward/backward. It that's the case, that means you either didn't put the ebrake on tight enough or your ebrake needs adjustment.
Jan 22, 2015
662 posts
180 upvotes
You mean roll back a little? That's normal, try pushing the ebrake further. Also your Rav4 is way heavier than your VW.
Aug 30, 2005
463 posts
147 upvotes
That behaviour is normal because of the order of your actions when you park. With your order of steps, your car is likely rolling back slightly to sit on the Parking Gear pin first. Also it could be that VW (German cars) are made differently than Toyota/Honda (Japanese cars).

If you change your order to:
1) Park the car
2) Engage to Neutral
3) Engage in Emergency Brake
4) Release regular brake to allow the car to roll back slightly. Be careful if you didn't engage the Emergency Brake enough, the car may roll.
5) Once car is fully held up by the Emergency Brakes, you can now shift into Park.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga

If your emergency/parking brake is engaged properly your SUV should not move an inch. So either the emergency/parking brake is not adjusted properly or you are not engaging it hard enough.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1264 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
I think it's normal to roll a tiny bit, depending on how steep the decline is.

My driveway is very steep and this is what I do:

1. Foot on brake
2. Shift to park
3. Pull handbrake
4. Take my foot off brake

With every car I've ever parked on my driveway, they all rolled a bit.
Oct 29, 2013
302 posts
55 upvotes

When you engage the hand brake, how far did you pull up and how many clicks? all? one?

When I pull up with 3-4 clicks+ it barely moves.

Maybe your car is heavy (like somebody already mentioned).
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12390 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
I imagine SUV would have a foot pedal based emergency/parking brake instead of a hand brake. So, there's not going to be clicks and such. But I think it probably has more to do with the angle of the slope and weight of the vehicle.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1810 posts
1450 upvotes
Toronto

My Venza as well, i always Ebrake + P before letting go the brakes.
if i step on it regularly, it will drop a little. However if i step on it really hard and push it even further it will not roll at all.

this never happen to all my other automatic or manual cars.....

does it need adjustment?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3446 posts
2198 upvotes
liquidzyklon wrote: That behaviour is normal because of the order of your actions when you park. With your order of steps, your car is likely rolling back slightly to sit on the Parking Gear pin first. Also it could be that VW (German cars) are made differently than Toyota/Honda (Japanese cars).

If you change your order to:
1) Park the car
2) Engage to Neutral
3) Engage in Emergency Brake
4) Release regular brake to allow the car to roll back slightly. Be careful if you didn't engage the Emergency Brake enough, the car may roll.
5) Once car is fully held up by the Emergency Brakes, you can now shift into Park.
This here is the only way to engage the E brake correctly on an incline. Also this will prevent the unpleasant clunk when you shift from P to R when you move out again.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
yellowmp5 wrote: My Venza as well, i always Ebrake + P before letting go the brakes.
if i step on it regularly, it will drop a little. However if i step on it really hard and push it even further it will not roll at all.

this never happen to all my other automatic or manual cars.....

does it need adjustment?
if it moves at all..it either needs adjusting or you have not fully engaged it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5962 posts
1066 upvotes
Calgary
aleks wrote: This here is the only way to engage the E brake correctly on an incline. Also this will prevent the unpleasant clunk when you shift from P to R when you move out again.
Agree. When release the regular brake and gear at neutrual, the vehicle should be held by the e-brake and not roll back.

OP, you need to adjust the e-brake.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Almost every Toyota that I've driven does this.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2011
2313 posts
192 upvotes
YF
How about electronic hand brake, do they operate differently than traditional ones?
Jun 21, 2009
974 posts
448 upvotes
EST
IMWHFMPC wrote: How about electronic hand brake, do they operate differently than traditional ones?
You pull a lever, and an actuator winds up the cable hella tight. Push to release with foot on the brake.

On my previous car, it released automatically once the car was shifted from P to either D or R. Also, if in gear (D or R) and throttle was applied while the parking brake was engaged, it released on its own. Very convenient, never had any issues. Because I've gotten lazy thanks to that design, I already forgot to release mine a couple of times on my new car.
Feb 10, 2014
385 posts
330 upvotes
Mississauga
rssdale wrote: You mean roll back a little? That's normal, try pushing the ebrake further. Also your Rav4 is way heavier than your VW.
Rav4 is about 500lbs heavier than golf, or about 15%. I wouldn't call it way heavier.

Nonetheless you are right saying that a little roll back is normal. You probAbly need to kick the parking brake really hard to ensure it doesn't move at all. And it's not necessary. The parking gear is designed to handle that little roll.
Nov 20, 2014
267 posts
140 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
With foot operated e brakes I find you gotta step on the pedal like you want to break it off to fully engage. It's like that on our crv.

My accord takes three clicks on the hand brake to fully engage.

Either way I don't feel like there should be roll back or else there is stress on the transmission prawl.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)