Automotive

Toyota lacking some...creativity. New 2013 Avalon.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2013 2:28 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3815 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto

Toyota lacking some...creativity. New 2013 Avalon.

I just saw a commercial for the new 2013 Avalon from Toyota.

I must say, it shares a striking resemblance to the Hybrid Sonata from Hyundai.

2013 Toyota Avalon
[IMG]http://wot.motortrend.com/files/2012/11 ... corner.jpg[/IMG]

Hyundai Hybrid Sonata
[IMG]http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content ... 26x382.jpg[/IMG]

The front grills look almost identical and even the area around the emblems look the same.

Did Toyota steal away one of Hyundai's designers?

Which one would you buy?

I think I'd take the Avalon.
Proud supporter of Tour for Kids and Ride for Karen!

Come chat live with other RFD'ers on IRC! #redflagdeals on EFNet!

Peace!
55 replies
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
I don't find any similarity between the two, other than a large grille. You may as well include the Dodge Charger SRT8 into the mix for also including a prominent intake.

For large cruisers, not too many models to choose from. I hope the Avalon succeeds in the marketplace as I'm not a fan of tiny subcompact cars.
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Addict
May 12, 2012
2252 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
It looks much more like the Camry than the Sonata.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
3049 posts
633 upvotes
The new Avalon is stunning, inside and out!
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
2133 posts
128 upvotes
GTA
If you're looking at the grill, there are several other cars that 'look the same'. The Sonata and the Avalon look completely different. The interior is pretty damn good looking though on the new Avalon.
Oct 20, 2008
131 posts
4 upvotes
Burnaby
Hi

lexani wrote: If you're looking at the grill, there are several other cars that 'look the same'. The Sonata and the Avalon look completely different. The interior is pretty damn good looking though on the new Avalon.
Only one problem lack of availability. I was interested in buying one in 2009. There was 1 Avalon in Vancouver, and it was sold and being prepped for delivery. The dealer would sell me one and order it, but who in their right mind spends nearly $40K on a car that you haven't test drove.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
6245 posts
1779 upvotes
the front looks like the current gen camry. the back looks like the current ES/GS
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
The next gen Forte would be a lot nicer, however.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5962 posts
1066 upvotes
Calgary
My fridge is more exciting.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21264 posts
6247 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Me like it! Too bad it is more than $25K.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2011
1161 posts
113 upvotes
Kitchener
The knock off artists are now knocking off each other . Who would have thought ?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
2133 posts
128 upvotes
GTA
1bagger wrote: The knock off artists are now knocking off each other . Who would have thought ?
Knock-off or not, it's called competition. Will it sell? Yes. Will it sell a lot? Probably not. But Toyota knows they don't sell a lot of these, they focus their energy on their bread and butter (Corolla/Camry etc).
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
153 upvotes
The Avalon, likst most Toyotas, is an old man's car. This is not a driver's car, it's a car you buy if you don't know much about cars and just want to get from a to b reliably and comfortably. I would never buy it.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
Xiaohaibao wrote: The Avalon, likst most Toyotas, is an old man's car. This is not a driver's car, it's a car you buy if you don't know much about cars and just want to get from a to b reliably and comfortably. I would never buy it.
i agree.
Jun 2, 2009
337 posts
46 upvotes
Edmonton
More people prefer a floaty quiet ride than a strong feeling of connectedness to the road, myself included. That plus reliability is why the Toyota sedans sell so well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)