Automotive

Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (FCEV) and Hyundai NEXO FCEV | 2019 Canadian International Auto Show

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2019 5:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12449 posts
2945 upvotes
RFD

Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (FCEV) and Hyundai NEXO FCEV | 2019 Canadian International Auto Show

I'm surprised not to find one Hydrogen based vehicle thread on RFD. Both the Toyota Mirai and Hyundai NEXO Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle are displayed at the 2019 Canadian International Auto Show.

I have not been following Hydrogen recently to be honest. Speaking to a Toyota rep at the show, I was caught off guard to hear that Toyota and Honda had partnered together with the Government of Quebec (and some other partners) and are almost finished building Quebec's first Hydrogen fueling station. The rep also stated that the Government of Quebec had ordered a fleet of 50 Toyota Mirai's. I'm not shocked at how Quebec is moving forward in quick fashion compared to Ontario, but more shocked that a Hydrogen vehicle is already on the ground running. I thought it would take a few more years. Kudos to Toyota for actually completing production of the Mirai. I think in the end more choice is better and the lack of driving range that is always brought up as a disadvantage of Battery Electric Vehicles, well now people have another choice over traditional gasoline Hybrid's.

Hyundai showcased their NEXO FCEV at the show as well. The interior of the NEXO looked and felt better than the Mirai IMO as I sat down in both vehicles. Mirai looks better than the Prius which is a plus.

Toyota Mirai is advertised with 500 KM range, while Hyundai NEXO is estimated at up to 570 KM range. Both advertise up to 5 minutes of refueling time replicating gasoline vehicle refueling time.

More on Toyota Mirai: https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/safety- ... cell-mirai

More on Hyundai NEXO: https://hyundaicanada.com/en/coming-soon/2019-nexo

Automakers Provide Update on the Progress of Quebec’s Hydrogen Fueling Infrastructure for Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles: https://media.toyota.ca/releases/hydrog ... c-vehicles

What do you think? Is Hydrogen the future? Do you see yourselves purchasing a Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle down the road?
35 replies
Banned
Feb 20, 2007
3042 posts
1313 upvotes
Why would there be talk about hydrogen when there's no fueling stations? Hydrogen is going the way of betamax and hddvd.
Nov 28, 2011
830 posts
335 upvotes
Markham
anhtuan wrote: Why would there be talk about hydrogen when there's no fueling stations? Hydrogen is going the way of betamax and hddvd.
Have to start somewhere. It will take time to build up the infrastructure. Seems like hydrogen has a couple benefits over EV. If it's really 5 minutes for a 'recharge' then that's already wayyy quicker than EV charging. Also range seems to be quite high compared to EV so you could probably get away with less stations in between?
May 20, 2017
475 posts
225 upvotes
ON
Did a little bit reading on the Mirai. Toyota actually started selling it in 2014 and has sold 5400 cars already so far. U.S has 2900 and Japan has 2100. So it's not really a concept car anymore, just not gaining the market. Fcev will be less impacted by the winter but you won't be able to refill it at home I guess. There are some pros and cons.
Banned
Feb 20, 2007
3042 posts
1313 upvotes
bartium wrote: Have to start somewhere. It will take time to build up the infrastructure. Seems like hydrogen has a couple benefits over EV. If it's really 5 minutes for a 'recharge' then that's already wayyy quicker than EV charging. Also range seems to be quite high compared to EV so you could probably get away with less stations in between?
Are you willing to get one and go-to Quebec to fill up?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12449 posts
2945 upvotes
RFD
anhtuan wrote: Why would there be talk about hydrogen when there's no fueling stations? Hydrogen is going the way of betamax and hddvd.
bartium wrote: Have to start somewhere. It will take time to build up the infrastructure. Seems like hydrogen has a couple benefits over EV. If it's really 5 minutes for a 'recharge' then that's already wayyy quicker than EV charging. Also range seems to be quite high compared to EV so you could probably get away with less stations in between?
Exactly. You have to start somewhere. And that is what Quebec is doing.

Agree that stations can be much further apart and would work out fine due to the increased range.

I can see BEVs for more within the city or two and FCEVs for those that drive longer distances on a consistent basis.

There's pros and cons for each and it's good to have more choice for customers.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12449 posts
2945 upvotes
RFD
Imagine if Elon Musk or any other visionary in history had the same thinking as this...

Do you have dreams?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
4291 posts
1517 upvotes
markham
Hydrogen has been advertised and promoted as the future since i was in grade school (50 years ago)...still no infrastructure...still just a pipe dream ...don't bother dreaming about it as it has no support from the masses.
Banned
Feb 20, 2007
3042 posts
1313 upvotes
radeonboy wrote: Imagine if Elon Musk or any other visionary in history had the same thinking as this...

Do you have dreams?
Yes, but none of us are building fuel cell cars and BEVs have pretty much won with most governments paying for charging networks.
Oct 20, 2010
478 posts
105 upvotes
cardguy wrote: Hydrogen has been advertised and promoted as the future since i was in grade school (50 years ago)...still no infrastructure...still just a pipe dream ...don't bother dreaming about it as it has no support from the masses.
which support from the masses? the oil companies?
early 00's there was a great investment by GM, Toyota, Honda, BMW, Mercedes, plans of deployment of their fuel cell refill stations, long distance tests. BMW and Honda kept their FC program, leasing a 7series(bmw) and a Clarity(honda) in the state of California.
I believe FC is a much better alternative to combustion engines than what EV is, and a cleaner solution too.
EV is not the future.
Nov 28, 2011
830 posts
335 upvotes
Markham
anhtuan wrote: Are you willing to get one and go-to Quebec to fill up?
Sure - I am wiling to get one once the infrastructure is at least partially established in Ontario/GTA
Nov 28, 2011
830 posts
335 upvotes
Markham
Curious if FCEVs suffer in cold temperatures like EVs do. If not, then I could see it being another advantage for us Canucks. With that in mind, Quebec is the perfect territory to be testing FCEVs
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2800 posts
989 upvotes
The Mirai was here at the Toronto Autoshow 2 years ago (last time I visit).

Inside, it reminded me of the Nissan Leaf first gen. Basic interior, lots of hard plastics,. A big screen slapped on the center of the dash. It was a car that I didn't feel like driving. Or buying.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
4291 posts
1517 upvotes
markham
bugsbunny01 wrote: which support from the masses? the oil companies?
early 00's there was a great investment by GM, Toyota, Honda, BMW, Mercedes, plans of deployment of their fuel cell refill stations, long distance tests. BMW and Honda kept their FC program, leasing a 7series(bmw) and a Clarity(honda) in the state of California.
I believe FC is a much better alternative to combustion engines than what EV is, and a cleaner solution too.
EV is not the future.
Tesla had an infrastructure for superchargers in less than 10 years from when they started ..to support their vehicle..all across NA ..they are 1 company...FC have been teased for 40 years and nothing has been put in place ..where are the masses??..manufacturers ?..marketing? (aside from yearly car show teasers)..advertising somewhere?..plants being built?..all BS...when does the first mass marketed FC vehicle hit the market?...and where is the support (infrastructure for it)...keep dreaming ..maybe one day..but not in the foreseeable future in my vision..like i said...this has been a tease since i was a kid...and now its 50 years later...still no infrastructure...they used to advertise it as "safe" ..meaning hydrogen refuelling is safer than gas...and renewable as it wont take much to generate your hydrogen from water...and the emissions are clean (water vapour)..that went out the window long ago...so now they are trying the same BS...NO ONE is serious as there is no mass investment in infrastructure....Tesla was serious...they put their money where their mouth was...nobody else has so far
Oct 20, 2010
478 posts
105 upvotes
Tesla put government money where their mouth is. Big difference