[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
39652 posts
9013 upvotes

Is the Toyota MR2 making a comeback?

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/3/11/T ... k-7738208/

http://www.insidercarnews.com/more-rumo ... r2-return/

Tetsuya Tada, Toyota engineer and head of Gazoo Racing, was speaking with Evo recently and referred to “the three brothers.” Of course, everyone just assumes he’s talking about sports cars, because what else would a guy like Tada be talking about, the Camry, Corolla and Yaris?

Tada went on to say those cars would be on the market at the same time “as soon as possible.”

There’ve been rumors of the MR2’s return for some time now, and this is whipping them up again. Evo seems to think the new midengine car will be a hybrid, based off the same tech as Toyota’s LMP1 racecars.

One teensie little detail casts some serious doubt on the rumor of a new midengine car from Toyota: cost. I love the idea of the MR2 reborn. But Toyota has no midengine platform in existence right now. Developing one will cost a lot of money. People can’t get enough crossovers right now, so a little sports car won’t be a huge cash cow.

If we do get a reborn MR2, it might have an engine up front, or at least be a front-mid layout like the 86.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
1247 posts
492 upvotes
Markham
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 10:31 am
If we do get a reborn MR2, it might have an engine up front, or at least be a front-mid layout like the 86.
It shouldn't be a front mid layout, otherwise there's almost no point in making the car in the first place, might as well get the 86 which is likely to be cheaper and more useful as a car or revive the 86 roadster. The rear mid layout is frankly the only sensible route to go with an MR2 as Toyota has been the only successful automaker to even remain in that market for so long. Since its more of a statement rather than a profit maker, its got to be a risky car. Either its an even less expensive competitor to the Boxster/Cayman(W10 and W30 route) or it outright defeats the Boxster/Cayman on performance and value(W20 route) which seems more likely. Cayman is $61K, with 300 hp, so its entirely possible to come up with a MR2 that is cheaper and faster than this, is possible with Toyota's resources. Perhaps yet another sourcing of a Subaru flat engine(none of Toyota's current engines looks suitable), preferably a flat six this time since Toyota loves naturally aspirated engines and Subaru probably still needs a new flat 6 for their top of the line cars. That would completely revive the entire 3 Toyota sports car lineup that originally existed during Toyota's glory days in the 1980s where it had every sort of car you want be it off roader, sports car, pickup truck, luxury, whatever.

I'm glad Tetsuya Tada is leading the current Toyota sports car development. He's one of the few top engineers out there that recognizes sports cars shouldn't be purely a spec sheet and that the driving experience is way more important. More importantly he's got the ear of Toyota boss Mr. Toyoda. Since Project 86 did reach the only milestone the company needed to continue on and that's 100,000 in worldwide sales by year 2. I must admit I almost certainly wouldn't be in a new car if Toyota didn't proceed with Project 86.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18854 posts
2455 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I hope they use the 200+hp supercharged engine from the European Yaris.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
39652 posts
9013 upvotes
I spoke to an uncle awhile back who used to track his mx5 and civic in Vancouver and he said back in the 90's, the premium of the mx5 over a civic was just a few grand not like today where the miata rf starts at 38k and a civic si probably 27k.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18854 posts
2455 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Mazda sells a fraction today of what they used to sell in the 90s. Also the current Civic uses a platform that will be shared by other Honda/Acura cars in the future. The new CR-V is based on it and also the next Accord. And since most Acuras are based on the Accord, they all will be using it.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
39652 posts
9013 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 12:00 pm
Mazda sells a fraction today of what they used to sell in the 90s. Also the current Civic uses a platform that will be shared by other Honda/Acura cars in the future. The new CR-V is based on it and also the next Accord. And since most Acuras are based on the Accord, they all will be using it.
Much like how Toyota is going towards the TNGA platform? Is this for efficiency and cost savings and not reliability?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18854 posts
2455 upvotes
Poormond Hill
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 12:02 pm
Much like how Toyota is going towards the TNGA platform? Is this for efficiency and cost savings and not reliability?
Yes, but Toyota's reliability is legendary. I won't be surprised if they used the TNGA platform for this MR2. All they need to do is turn it around 180° and use the 200+HP supercharged engine from the Euro Yaris.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3862 posts
1261 upvotes
BC
I'm pretty sure this thing would be the MR2 replacement. Say hello to the Toyota S-FR concept:

A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
4592 posts
1156 upvotes
Cornhole, ON
dealseaker101 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 4:02 pm
I'm pretty sure this thing would be the MR2 replacement. Say hello to the Toyota S-FR concept:

Not even its own mother could love that ugly creation...
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3599 posts
2253 upvotes
GTA
dealseaker101 wrote:

The S-FR is an awesome little car, but I doubt I'd fit in it comfortably. I don't fit in a Miata comfortably.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18854 posts
2455 upvotes
Poormond Hill
dealseaker101 wrote:

The S-FR is too small for the average American and it is not a rear engined car.
Feb 19, 2017
722 posts
318 upvotes
Ya I can't see a S-FR being brought over to America. It seems like it would be a good fit for Europe though.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
May 30, 2013
115 posts
36 upvotes
Markham
MR2 should means mid engine, rear wheel drive, 2 seater.