Automotive

Toyota Prius Extra Care Protection (ECP) - Multifunction display coverage?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2010 11:27 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
11443 posts
1439 upvotes
Toronto

Toyota Prius Extra Care Protection (ECP) - Multifunction display coverage?

My 2004 Prius's multifunction display (MFD) is dying. Has anyone been able to get Toyota to pay for it under Extra Care Protection? My local dealer says it's not covered. I have escalated it to a review at Toyota Canada, but I'd like to know if anyone here has been in this situation before.

My dealer claims that it's not covered presumably because it's related to the audio system. I pointed out that it controls and monitors the AC system, and displays the hybrid engine status. I could understand that it would not be covered if it was just the stereo unit interface, but it's much more than that.

If I can't get it replaced by Toyota Canada there's no way I'm paying them $4000 for a new unit or $1000 for a refurb (plus labour on top of that). I'd rather just try doing a DYI solder fix first.
7 replies
Mar 23, 2010
34 posts
EugW wrote:
Apr 25th, 2010 12:00 pm
My 2004 Prius's multifunction display (MFD) is dying. Has anyone been able to get Toyota to pay for it under Extra Care Protection? My local dealer says it's not covered. I have escalated it to a review at Toyota Canada, but I'd like to know if anyone here has been in this situation before.

My dealer claims that it's not covered presumably because it's related to the audio system. I pointed out that it controls and monitors the AC system, and displays the hybrid engine status. I could understand that it would not be covered if it was just the stereo unit interface, but it's much more than that.

If I can't get it replaced by Toyota Canada there's no way I'm paying them $4000 for a new unit or $1000 for a refurb (plus labour on top of that). I'd rather just try doing a DYI solder fix first.
So you changed your car stereo and now they wouldn't honour the warranty?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
11443 posts
1439 upvotes
Toronto
mike99992000 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2010 9:18 pm
So you changed your car stereo and now they wouldn't honour the warranty?
No. This is a factory part. It's a touchscreen LCD display that controls the AC system, displays the status of the hybrid engine, and controls the audio system.

It's now fubar, but Toyota refuses to replace it. The dealer says it is not covered likely because it's part of the stereo system, but I think that's bogus because it also documents the status of the hybrid engine, and it is the whole control interface for the climate control system.

I have thus requested Toyota Canada re-evaluate the claim.

I was just wondering if anyone else here has had issues like this with the Toyota Extra Care Program.
ThePointblank wrote:
Apr 25th, 2010 10:34 pm
Sounds like this issue:
http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-priu ... ative.html

I do suggest if you haven't already join the PriusChat forum. Really helpful community over there if you have Prius issues or questions.
Thanks, but I'm already a member and have already posted over there. However, so far I haven't seen any posts from Canadians about this issue. It is covered under the extended warranty in the US though, which is another reason why I'm very annoyed they won't cover it in Canada.
Jul 9, 2010
1 posts
Okotoks, AB
EugW wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem - When cold everything works well - flakiness increasing as the system warms up. A/C off, Radio Intermittent. It really seems like a bad solder joint.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7663 posts
761 upvotes
North York
That Toyota ECP is really not worth getting. If it only covers a failed engine, or transmission or other drive train components - what are the chances of that happening on a Toyota?

They just did the same thing to my mom's Matrix - not covered. Her driver airbag failure light in the speedo was on all the time. (In fact car was delivered that way - we thought it was the airbag active light for the past 6 years. BTW her 2005 Matrix only has 50K km on it - so it is lightly used.)

They wanted $350 to fix the problem - replace the clock assembly which also dispalys the passenger airbag status, so I guess all the airbag status goes through the clock.

I was shocked such an important safety function was not covered by the ECP. Since electronics seldomly fails, and Toyota is excluding electronics from the ECP, I am going to suspect Toyota knows their electronic components are not that reliable.

Service Manager did offer to give a 20% discount on the entire repair bill and since we need to replace the tensioner and drive belt too, the discount worked out to 46% of the clock assembly + free oil change promo.

So the dealer is trying, but Toyota Canada (whom defines ECP coverage) is failing.

I was shocked at the cheapness of the 2010 Matrix's plastic interior trim compared with the 2005 Matrix plastics. The 2010 Matrix plastics felt so thin, almost like model airplane quality. So that is how Toyota is keeping costs down. (And using cheap electronics manufacturers.)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7663 posts
761 upvotes
North York
EugW wrote:
That is ridiculous that such an expensive and important component is not covered under the ECP.

The fact that that part is so expensive and new batteries are so expensive, who in their right mind would buy a hybrid car? Lease and return is marginal as you need to drive regular mileage to stay within warrantee limits - but limiting mileage negates that HUGE premium for a hybrid.

Edit: The manufacturers better get their act together and not make hybrid/electric owners regret being early adopters.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
4790 posts
511 upvotes
Busybuyer888 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2010 10:43 pm
The fact that that part is so expensive and new batteries are so expensive, who in their right mind would buy a hybrid car?
stupid sheep
× < >