Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2007
1504 posts
943 upvotes
London, ON

Toyota RAV 4 LE or Mazda CX-5 GX or Mazda 3 Sport GT

Hi folks. I am looking specifically at these 3 vehicles that I might be purchasing in the next week or two. I know the Mazda 3 is not in the same size class as the other 2 but it remains an option.

Has anyone taken the 2015 Mazda CX-5 GX FWD 2.0L on a test spin that could share some light on what the experience was like and if that small of an engine is suitable for the size of the vehicle? I like the look of the vehicle but the 2.0L is the option I would have to choose due to my price constraints. The 2.5L upgrade is a little over what I am comfortable paying.

The 2014 or 2015 Toyota Rav 4 LE FWD is one of my other options that has 170HP coming from the engine compared to the 155HP in the Mazda CX-5. The Toyota is a little more boring with the interior styling but the price is reasonable and has a good resale value for the future.

The 2014 Mazda 3 Sport GT is just an overpriced option that falls within my max budget. Would have to get an extremely good deal to sway from the other 2 options thou as it does cost more.

I am leaning towards the Rav 4 because of the extra little HP for its size that might be needed? Any opinions or feedback on these particular choices?

Thanks.
23 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
What are you doing with this car?
Feb 9, 2011
883 posts
131 upvotes
Montr
why not the skyactiv mazda 3? id got with the cx5 it moves well
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2007
1504 posts
943 upvotes
London, ON
george__ wrote: What are you doing with this car?
Daily driver with mostly highway miles. I don't drive aggressive anymore and would be changing from a Mazda 3 stick shift to a automatic.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2007
1504 posts
943 upvotes
London, ON
tutchio wrote: why not the skyactiv mazda 3? id got with the cx5 it moves well
I would like a bigger car than a Mazda 3. The Gt could possibly change my mind. Can the 2.0 skyactiv handle the extra weight and size of the CX5 I am wondering?
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
A Infiniti QX50 has a 3.7L engine.. Pumping out a ton of power
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2007
1504 posts
943 upvotes
London, ON
george__ wrote: A Infiniti QX50 has a 3.7L engine.. Pumping out a ton of power
Unfortunately a hefty price tag as well.

I would be looking at 30 k max OTR as my budget :(
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2013
992 posts
295 upvotes
It's really a personal preference when it comes to choosing a vehicle.

You should check out all the listed vehicles and find out which one has:

- beautiful interior/exterior that you can live with
- more roomy interior
- easy access
- better seats
- more features for the price
- how easy is it to use bluetooth, other features
- cabin noise, test drives, ride quality

CX-5 has slightly better handling than RAV4. CX-5 has a noisy cabin, mediocre ride comfort and high price that doesn't include features like heated seats, etc. Fuel Economy isn't that different between the two, 24 mpg vs 25 mpg. RAV4 is also enjoyable to drive. I will choose RAV4 for superior reliability, extremely easy access, spacy interior, easy to use features (bluetooth, smartphone), better seats, smooth and comfortable ride.
Oct 5, 2008
189 posts
32 upvotes
The rav 4 can also be had right now for a great deal as they are clearing the 2014's. Would this be an option?
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1026 posts
277 upvotes
id replace the rav4 with a rogue in your comparison...the new 2014/15 rogue is much nicer than previous years and def nicer than rav4's interior. Just go to one of those auto mall type places and test drive everything. Pick the car you like, get the real price from unhaggle and go from there.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
Save up some more and get the CX-5 2.5L. The fuel economy on the 2.0L is worse than the 2.5L since it's a small engine in a heavy vehicle.
Banned
Oct 17, 2013
2337 posts
461 upvotes
T.O.
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: Save up some more and get the CX-5 2.5L. The fuel economy on the 2.0L is worse than the 2.5L since it's a small engine in a heavy vehicle.
This.

Large engines don't work hard when they're in lighter vehicles.

The 3.7 in my midsize mazda almost never has to break 1900rpm in daily driving and I'm still quick off the line / in midrange passing.

Torque at low RPM is king.
Dec 9, 2007
169 posts
150 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
blacurarl wrote: This.

Large engines don't work hard when they're in lighter vehicles.
The 3.7 in my midsize mazda almost never has to break 1900rpm in daily driving and I'm still quick off the line / in midrange passing.
Torque at low RPM is king.
Plus 1. You want to have 2.5L in CX5, otherwise, it's a sluggish car imo.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2007
1504 posts
943 upvotes
London, ON
Thanks everyone, unfortunately the 2015 CX 5 with 2.5L is a little over my budget. I did test drive the 2.0L in the CX 5 and agree with your comments that it is sluggish and somewhat under powered for its size so I won't be buying that vehicle.

The 2014 Rav 4 is still a viable option as its right at the price point of where I want to be at max. The Mazda 3 GT is also a contender at around the same price point, the trade off is a smaller vehicle but loads of features that the Rav 4 wouldn't have. I could get a 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sedan with leather, moon roof and all the other goodies that go along with the GT trim. The hatch version would be without leather for the same price point.

I have no idea if the Mazda 3 will hold its value 5 years down the road compared to a Toyota. I have driven a Mazda 3 Sport for the last 4 years and its still going strong. I am only considering getting rid of it now because of a couple insurance claims I've had on it and the loss of value accordingly. Has a couple stone chips and a little rust in a couple spots too.
Nov 29, 2013
411 posts
28 upvotes
Montreal
^^^ Is the RAV4 really much cheaper than the CX-5?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3409 posts
223 upvotes
skwigglyline wrote: id replace the rav4 with a rogue in your comparison...the new 2014/15 rogue is much nicer than previous years and def nicer than rav4's interior. Just go to one of those auto mall type places and test drive everything. Pick the car you like, get the real price from unhaggle and go from there.
I don't care what the interior is like on the Rouge...CVT. No thanks. RAV4 is a great option IMO.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2007
1504 posts
943 upvotes
London, ON
brucen36 wrote: ^^^ Is the RAV4 really much cheaper than the CX-5?
About $60 a month in payment. The jump to the CX-5 2.5L base trim is $3600 over the 5 years. Keep in mind you get a few extras over the base Rav 4 with upgrade but that 2.5L engine should be the standard for all the basic trims on the CX-5 given its size. Would be a definite choice even at slight increase in price.
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes
Why don't you buy a year old car or something then? Rav4 will be sluggish too if you won't get the proper engine.
Banned
Oct 17, 2013
2337 posts
461 upvotes
T.O.
I like the new 2013+ Rav4s. They're a great value, look nice, drive well and will keep their value and be reliable (camry engine and transmission on FWD models-- not sure about the trans on AWD ones).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)