Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5631 posts
1283 upvotes

Toyota Supra To Debut in Geneva

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/13/toy ... otor-show/

The 2018 Geneva Motor Show, two months hence, will serve to intoduce the production Toyota Supra into the world. Rather, not the Toyota Supra, but the Gazoo Racing Supra; Toyota's new hi-po sportscar will retail under Gazoo Racing branding, after Toyota knighted Gazoo as the automaker's performance arm last year. According to Auto Express, the Supra will come in four trims: Supra, Supra GR, Supra GR Sport, and Supra GRMN (GRMN stands for Gazoo Racing tuned by Meisters of the Nürburgring). The report says a "significant gap in performance and price" and different suspension tunes are likely from bottom to top.

Last year, a leaked document made Supra watchers suspect three BMW-derived engines would serve the four-trim Supra range: the BMW 20i, 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder; the more powerful BMW 30i, 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder; and the BMW 40i, 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder. Commenters suspected that only the two most powerful engines would come to the U.S.

The latest intel, however, says that all versions will come with an inline six-cylinder engine sending all its grunt to the back wheels. That would align with statements from Gazoo Racing president Shigeki Tomoyama, who said, "The new car has to appeal to the existing owners first. The old cars had a straight-six engine, twin turbos and rear-wheel drive; the new car must have the same philosophy." The known benchmarks for the Supra, the BMW M3 and M4, and Porsche 911, lend more credence to the idea of six-cylinder exclusivity.

All-wheel drive and a hybrid powertrain might appear down the road, but it looks like a manual transmission will not. We're in the dark on the weight - many seem hopeful that the hardtop-only coupe will come in under 3,300 pounds - but we've been promised 50/50 weight distribution. A thorough aftermarket parts program is already in the works. There'll be a lengthy span between reveal and retail purchases, though – Supra deliveries might not begin until 2019.
46 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
17661 posts
5707 upvotes
Ottawa
Not that I will ever get one, but thank goodness they're going with a v6!
Enough of these 4-banger turbos!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8521 posts
3175 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 2:03 pm
With fart cans!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1583 posts
962 upvotes
Anyone else thinks it looks as small as a BRZ?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5631 posts
1283 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 2:03 pm
I6 just like the 2JZ!
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
15007 posts
1182 upvotes
TOP SECRET SPAGHETTI…
What made the original MK4 so epic was the relatively scarce competition. Now with so many cars that are affordable with good performance, this may not be as legendary as the MK4.

They should have must given the FRS a proper engine and called it the Supra.

Mark my words, this car will be very similar to the FRS with the more powerful engine.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5631 posts
1283 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 3:07 pm
What made the original MK4 so epic was the relatively scarce competition. Now with so many cars that are affordable with good performance, this may not be as legendary as the MK4.
It had quite a bit of competition I recall. Mazda RX-7, Acura NSX, Nissan 300ZX, Mitsubishi 3000GT ... and that's just the Japanese competition. I will say out of those, the Supra had the most potent engine.
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 3:07 pm
They should have must given the FRS a proper engine and called it the Supra.

Mark my words, this car will be very similar to the FRS with the more powerful engine.
It does look like it has a similar footprint to the 86.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2580 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
Looks more like z4 rear. Need dat supra wings to better distinguish itself from bimmer half.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5123 posts
2480 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hopefully I can afford one by the mid-cycle refresh
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Dec 14, 2007
535 posts
71 upvotes
what the price point gonna be?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
19229 posts
4401 upvotes
Toronto
If I have to guess ... $50k for base .. $85k for top dog
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
4417 posts
1521 upvotes
I'll believe it when I see it. This is the 4th or 5th time I've seen these automotive blogs claim that the production model Supra will be unveiled at an upcoming auto show, then they later backtrack with an excuse of some delay, or that only the concept will be on display. It's been far too long, and I'm getting bored. It feels like a 5 year old car already, and I haven't even seen the production model yet. The Toyota FT-HS concept (Supra) was first shown in 2007! Chew on that for a bit. They show the same concept car every year. Get with the program Toyota! It better be perfect with a 10 year development time.

Toyota Supra/FT-HS Concept (2007!):

In 2007, everyone was certain that the production model would be released in 2009! :
https://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/09/toy ... g-in-2009/
http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2009-toyota-ft-hs/

They later changed the name to FT-1 and tweaked the design in 2014:

They toned down the design a bit for 2016:
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
A wise President once said, "The world needs RFD."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Dec 14, 2007
535 posts
71 upvotes
85K for a 911 fighter would be a good bang for the buck. Exterior looks good, IMO. Give it a nice interior and it will be hard to lose.
Jun 20, 2015
253 posts
40 upvotes
Can't wait to see how it looks like and the specs.
Good luck!