• Oct 3rd, 2017 9:44 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
775 posts
210 upvotes

Toys when babies < 3 months

Do babies need toys? Especially as they can't hold their heads up. Our new newborn is now 3 weeks old, and I just bought him a soft toy and bassinet mobile. Any other ideas? Especially as he gets older?

Edit: so sleep deprived
Last edited by springdays on Sep 29th, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:

*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
8 replies
Mar 24, 2015
585 posts
126 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
The baby gym play mat is the "toy" I used the most with both my kids from newborn till they were around 8 months. They were on their back the first 3 months and on back, belly and rolling after that. I had a mattress on the floor and I put the play mat on it for the first few months. Another thing they both liked was the ocean wonders aquarium. The play table was a hit too. I did not put the legs on it until they were able to hold themselves up. They were happy to just sit next to it and play.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4756 posts
405 upvotes
Scarborough
no need for toys in first 3-4 months. Or even 6 for many.
Just diapers and washclothes, lol
Jun 1, 2017
345 posts
35 upvotes
London, ON
I would say anything they can chew. My now 6 month old started cutting teeth at 2.5 months (which is very early) and now has 6 teeth. She will chew anything she can get her hands on so the only toys I've gotten are chew toys...and board books, which she also chews...

I have a few musical toys and shape toys in the basement from my first daughter, but have yet to bring them up to be played with.
Jul 5, 2004
22241 posts
2122 upvotes
There's no need for toys, but you do want to provide stimulating objects. My son is approaching 2 years old and still loves an empty cardboard box. Although he has lots of toys, he can entertain himself with almost anything
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
775 posts
210 upvotes
Thanks everyone - helps a new parent :D
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:

*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15156 posts
1109 upvotes
Thornhill
I would say something for the baby to grip and chew. And maybe a few things to swat at, that'd be about it at that age!

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Sep 3, 2013
666 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
My little one is 6months old. Don't get anything more than a rattle for your newborn. He/she will need to do tummy time as often as possible, after every nappy change so you don't forget. LOs can do that anywhere. You can do tummy time with your baby to make it more interesting - on a mattress or foam mat. The rattle is to practice his vision; it's fascinating how their eyes follow the sound and it gets faster and smoother as they mature.