Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2007
1618 posts
110 upvotes

TP-Link ADSL 2+ Modem Router Setup

Hi,

Just got a TP-Link ADSL 2+ Modem Router, and currently need some help to set it up.

My current ISP is with Acanac, and they are not willing to provide much help on this. So if anyone has this router, and with Acanac, is it very simple to set it up? Just enter the ID and Password that are given by the Acanac, right?

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks.
6 replies
Banned
Sep 6, 2007
631 posts
16 upvotes
You didn't specify the model of the router, but yes it is very easy. To enter the routers GUI (graphical user interface), check the bottom of the router/modem. It will usually have an IP of 192.168.1.1 with the login details.

To use it with Acanac, all you need to do is switch it to PPPoE mode and enter the info that was give to you by Acanac:

DSL user name: lalalala
DSL password: blablabla
Encapsulation: PPPoE LLC
VPI: 0
VCI: 35

and MTU to 1500.

You should be done. Ask if you don't understand something specific, or make a screenshot - always more helpful
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2007
1618 posts
110 upvotes
SecuritySic wrote: You didn't specify the model of the router, but yes it is very easy. To enter the routers GUI (graphical user interface), check the bottom of the router/modem. It will usually have an IP of 192.168.1.1 with the login details.

To use it with Acanac, all you need to do is switch it to PPPoE mode and enter the info that was give to you by Acanac:

DSL user name: lalalala
DSL password: blablabla
Encapsulation: PPPoE LLC
VPI: 0
VCI: 35

and MTU to 1500.

You should be done. Ask if you don't understand something specific, or make a screenshot - always more helpful
Thanks for help, and my modem router model is TD-8816.

I am going to give it a try later tonight.

Thanks again.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24234 posts
43262 upvotes
ONTARIO
sunchaser53 wrote: Thanks for help, and my modem router model is TD-8816.

I am going to give it a try later tonight.

Thanks again.
The 8816 is incredibly easy to configure.

Go to http://192.168.1.1
When prompted for user/pass I believe the default is admin/admin
Now at the top of your setup screen is a "Quick Start" link. Click on it and then click "Run Wizard". You can follow it and it will basically make the process very simple. All you will need to know is your acanac user/pass and set the VPI to 0 and VCI to 35. Also remember to select "PPPoE/PPPoA" for your connection and "connection type" PPPoE LLC" and you're done.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11338 posts
5532 upvotes
Vaughan
sunchaser53 wrote: Hi,
My current ISP is with Acanac, and they are not willing to provide much help on this.
Don't mean to bash Acanac, why are you signing with them. I remember when I signed up with Teksavvy, they helped me setting up my modem than later my wireless router. Each time they took their time to ensure I was happy with. Many will agree TSI has excellent customer and technical supports.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4256 posts
833 upvotes
T.O.
teoconca wrote: Don't mean to bash Acanac, why are you signing with them. I remember when I signed up with Teksavvy, they helped me setting up my modem than later my wireless router. Each time they took their time to ensure I was happy with. Many will agree TSI has excellent customer and technical supports.
I don't know the OP's reason, but the 19$/month might be a reason...
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
1476 posts
606 upvotes
Traian2003 wrote: I don't know the OP's reason, but the 19$/month might be a reason...
Acanac is now $25/mo + tax. Their $19 no tax promotion ended in early April. I am currently debating between Acanac and Teksavvy, and whether Teksavvy is worth the extra $5/mo for better customer support.

Thanks for confirming and explaining TP-Link TD-8816 works with the two ISP. That is the modem I planned on buying since it is only $20 at PCU.