• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2019 5:07 pm
[OP]
Feb 26, 2016
859 posts
184 upvotes
Vaughan

TPMS Issue with 2019 Honda Odyssey

My 2019 Honda Odyssey EX comes with TPMS. I had purchased winter tires from Simply Tire with TPMS (aftermarket) last winter. When they installed it, the car automatically detected the tire pressure of the tires without any issues. I switched it back to the OEM tires during this spring and again, it automatically detected the tire pressure. While it was relearning the new TPMS, i've never received a TPMS problem warning light. I should note that it took about 10 to 15 minutes of driving before the vehicle detected the tire pressure of the installed tires.

Just this past Friday, I installed my winter tires again. It again detected the tire pressure of the installed winter tires after 15 minutes of driving. Monday comes the snow. My wife drives the van and says she hits a small bump and the TPMS problem light comes on and it no longer detects the tire pressure. She drove the car for about 30 minutes and the warning light remains.

Anybody have any idea what may be causing this issue and how to fix it? Do I need to bring it to a mechanic or dealer to reset the ECU? I really want to avoid that as they'll probably charge me. Should I change it back my stock tires to have the vehicle detect the TPMS and then change it back to my winters? It's annoying because some websites give instruction on how you can reset the TPMS but my car doesn't seem to have that option. I wonder if it's the higher trims or just the american models.
30 replies
Dec 13, 2011
118 posts
37 upvotes
GMA
We have MY 18 Touring.

Tried using aftermarket TPMS when we purchased winter tires. Warning light kept coming up. Garage tried flashing the ECU, to no avail. Went thru 2 sets of TPMS (different brands).

After 3 trips to the garage, they finally decided to call a Honda Dealership and Honda said only OEM TPMS would work. Haven't had a problem since.
[OP]
Feb 26, 2016
859 posts
184 upvotes
Vaughan
Phatjoe wrote:
Nov 13th, 2019 12:05 am
We have MY 18 Touring.

Tried using aftermarket TPMS when we purchased winter tires. Warning light kept coming up. Garage tried flashing the ECU, to no avail. Went thru 2 sets of TPMS (different brands).

After 3 trips to the garage, they finally decided to call a Honda Dealership and Honda said only OEM TPMS would work. Haven't had a problem since.
damn. why would simply tire sell me aftermarket ones then. any idea how much the oem TPMS cost? I paid 70 each (or 280 each) plus tax for the aftermarket oem sensors. i also find it weird that it did work last year without any issues.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1212 posts
660 upvotes
Barrie ON
otaknap wrote:
Nov 13th, 2019 8:52 am
damn. why would simply tire sell me aftermarket ones then. any idea how much the oem TPMS cost? I paid 70 each (or 280 each) plus tax for the aftermarket oem sensors. i also find it weird that it did work last year without any issues.
I wanted to reuse my old winter tires on my 2020 Acura RDX ( a Honda product). The tire shop also wanted to install aftermarket sensors, and charge me a programming fee as well. I wanted to ensure that I would not have the type of problems you have, so I asked if they would install OEM Honda sensors if I purchased them, and they agreed. I bought them at the Acura dealer for $52.09 each, complete with all the required mounting hardware, Each of them was in a plastic bag with the Honda name. As expected, they started reporting to the car automatically after 5-10 minutes of driving.
[OP]
Feb 26, 2016
859 posts
184 upvotes
Vaughan
Rick007 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2019 10:26 am
I wanted to reuse my old winter tires on my 2020 Acura RDX ( a Honda product). The tire shop also wanted to install aftermarket sensors, and charge me a programming fee as well. I wanted to ensure that I would not have the type of problems you have, so I asked if they would install OEM Honda sensors if I purchased them, and they agreed. I bought them at the Acura dealer for $52.09 each, complete with all the required mounting hardware, Each of them was in a plastic bag with the Honda name. As expected, they started reporting to the car automatically after 5-10 minutes of driving.
wow. I feel ripped off. I paid more for the aftermarket ones than the oem ones.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2612 posts
821 upvotes
otaknap wrote:
Nov 12th, 2019 10:51 pm
My wife drives the van and says she hits a small bump and the TPMS problem light comes on and it no longer detects the tire pressure. She drove the car for about 30 minutes and the warning light remains.
Let me get this straight...

TPMS sensors were working perfectly fine for a while.
Then, minivan hit a bump or pothole, and the light came on.

Did you check the pressure in your tires? Is it possible the pressure is low, therefore the light went on?

The simpler solution should be attempted first.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1777 posts
340 upvotes
Toronto
I know my partners description of small bump/pot hole.

I personally would not classify it as small.

As the above post check tire pressure and bent slow leak rim.

Cheers!
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
[OP]
Feb 26, 2016
859 posts
184 upvotes
Vaughan
motomondo wrote:
Nov 13th, 2019 11:08 am
Let me get this straight...

TPMS sensors were working perfectly fine for a while.
Then, minivan hit a bump or pothole, and the light came on.

Did you check the pressure in your tires? Is it possible the pressure is low, therefore the light went on?

The simpler solution should be attempted first.
to be clear, the TPMS is not even reading the tire pressure. I.e. there was reading in all four tires prior to the bump. Then she hits the bump and now there's no reading. The light wasn't a low pressure light. it was a TPMS Problem light.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11822 posts
5358 upvotes
Toronto
I have a 2017 RDX with TPMS.

I bought an older set of RDX wheels with Honda sensors for winter use.

It takes a few minutes but the computer automatically calibrates to the new sensors.
Oct 1, 2015
295 posts
336 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Swerny wrote:
Nov 13th, 2019 12:21 pm
I have a 2017 RDX with TPMS.

I bought an older set of RDX wheels with Honda sensors for winter use.

It takes a few minutes but the computer automatically calibrates to the new sensors.
It's ridiculous you should have to have new TPMS sensors reprogrammed in the first place. Anytime you put in new sensors, it should be exactly what you mentioned above. It should be a non-issue.
Dec 13, 2011
118 posts
37 upvotes
GMA
otaknap wrote:
Nov 13th, 2019 8:52 am
OEM TPMS from Honda were 58.50+tx each.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
4456 posts
1027 upvotes
GTEH!
Any way you can turn TPMS off? *shrugs*
I don't have TPMS on my car.
😎
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11822 posts
5358 upvotes
Toronto
otaknap wrote:
Nov 13th, 2019 10:43 am
wow. I feel ripped off. I paid more for the aftermarket ones than the oem ones.
I think i read that some OEM sensors don't work with some aftermarket wheels or vice versa.

Maybe that's why Simply sold you aftermarket ones?

I would go back to Simply and see if they will warranty the sensors

I just had one OEM Honda sensor replaced and I think the $58.50 is correct.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2612 posts
821 upvotes
otaknap wrote:
Nov 13th, 2019 12:17 pm
to be clear, the TPMS is not even reading the tire pressure. I.e. there was reading in all four tires prior to the bump. Then she hits the bump and now there's no reading. The light wasn't a low pressure light. it was a TPMS Problem light.
Oh, I see.
Do you have the TPMS system that shows each tire's individual pressure on the dash? I imagine you do.

Do you see an obvious problem with the rim / TPMS ? Do they look damaged?
Is the tire losing pressure?

Running over a pothole shouldn't cause the TPMS to malfunction...
[OP]
Feb 26, 2016
859 posts
184 upvotes
Vaughan
motomondo wrote:
Nov 13th, 2019 1:05 pm
Oh, I see.
Do you have the TPMS system that shows each tire's individual pressure on the dash? I imagine you do.

Do you see an obvious problem with the rim / TPMS ? Do they look damaged?
Is the tire losing pressure?

Running over a pothole shouldn't cause the TPMS to malfunction...
Yes, it's a direct TPMS system so it shows the tire pressure for each individual tire. Rims and tires look fine. Pressure looks fine. I'm just confused because it was fine all winter last year. It was also fine when I installed it this past Friday. Wife hit a bump and now it doesn't work. I suspect that it's because it's not OEM TPMS sensors. I'm really upset since SimplyTire charged me more than the OEM ones. I've e-mailed Allen at simplytires and hoping he'll get back to me. But this time of year is really busy and I can see them just ignoring an old customer and dealing with the new customers that actually bring in revenue for them.

Is there anyway to reset the TPMS without an ECU reader?