Tracking device for your child!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2019 8:19 pm
23 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
3228 posts
480 upvotes
I’ve seen that Black Mirror episode. Didn’t end well.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3425 posts
1699 upvotes
Everywhere
Ren Zhengfei's daughter...
Nov 24, 2017
7 posts
I have a $15/month data plan from FIDO and my very old phone to track him using find my Android.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29218 posts
15076 upvotes
Ottawa
Rayad123 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 5:57 pm
I have a $15/month data plan from FIDO and my very old phone to track him using find my Android.
Install Samsung Life360 and you can monitor in real-time.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
3640 posts
519 upvotes
Waterloo
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 2:23 pm
Why doesn’t every parent have this?
The Only GPS & Voice-Monitoring Solution Designed for Children with Special Needs
I would say most ( 99.99% ) parents in Canada don't need it.

Also If youre just looking for tracking there is many other ways to do it for much less. But even that isnt needed.
----
Pay it forward.
Jan 18, 2012
92 posts
40 upvotes
Huawei don thave find my friends like iphone??? haha
batcave wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 5:02 pm
Ren Zhengfei's daughter...
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1660 posts
937 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Why doesn’t every parent have this? I just ordered AngelSense guardian it’s a gps tracker service that’s just $40 bucks a month. And it’s available in Canada too

https://www.angelsense.com/?utm_source= ... ogle.ca%2F
I looked into various tracking devices when my kids were little. Up until they started going on the school bus themselves (grade 1), they were always under adult supervision. For the occasional outing where it was possible to loose them in large crowd (we have had that happen), we had a much cheaper device meant as a 'one-of' When they were on the bus, the bus kept loosing them, not showing up, occasionally dropping them off at an unknown location. At that time, we decided a cell phone was a better option, and cheaper.

I could see a device like this being useful for kids with special needs, or kids that are on the bus but are too young for a phone. There are better devices out there. We use livelifealarms.ca for my aging parents. It has the same functions as the device you mentioned, plus more. The upfront cost is more, but the yearly fee is on $25 for full gsp tracking and location.

I don't think it's really needed for most parents. I would have not even given my kids a cell until Jr High if they had the same bus driver they do now. We just went through 3 years of all new drivers.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1811 posts
447 upvotes
Toronto
Macx2mommy wrote:
Oct 21st, 2019 10:09 am
I looked into various tracking devices when my kids were little. Up until they started going on the school bus themselves (grade 1), they were always under adult supervision. For the occasional outing where it was possible to loose them in large crowd (we have had that happen), we had a much cheaper device meant as a 'one-of' When they were on the bus, the bus kept loosing them, not showing up, occasionally dropping them off at an unknown location. At that time, we decided a cell phone was a better option, and cheaper.

I could see a device like this being useful for kids with special needs, or kids that are on the bus but are too young for a phone. There are better devices out there. We use livelifealarms.ca for my aging parents. It has the same functions as the device you mentioned, plus more. The upfront cost is more, but the yearly fee is on $25 for full gsp tracking and location.

I don't think it's really needed for most parents. I would have not even given my kids a cell until Jr High if they had the same bus driver they do now. We just went through 3 years of all new drivers.
Yes my son is autistic and he’s escaped a daycare before so this will give me peace of mind. Live life alarms? I have been looking for something affordable and this was the only one I could find I’ll check that out thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1660 posts
937 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Why doesn’t every parent have this? I just ordered AngelSense guardian it’s a gps tracker service that’s just $40 bucks a month. And it’s available in Canada too

https://www.angelsense.com/?utm_source= ... ogle.ca%2F
jerrysiz wrote:
Oct 20th, 2019 2:33 pm
I’ve seen that Black Mirror episode. Didn’t end well.
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Oct 21st, 2019 6:41 pm
Yes my son is autistic and he’s escaped a daycare before so this will give me peace of mind. Live life alarms? I have been looking for something affordable and this was the only one I could find I’ll check that out thanks
That makes so much sense. You have different needs that I do. The one thing you will want to check out is parameter piece. We didn't that need it was for my father, and it was more to GPS locate him in case we couldn't find him, not to notify us if he left somewhere. Sorry, that's one feature I don't know much about that your site listed. We have used our alarm for 2 years, and first year was just under $500, and this year $25
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
3228 posts
480 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote:
Oct 21st, 2019 7:48 pm
That makes so much sense. You have different needs that I do. The one thing you will want to check out is parameter piece. We didn't that need it was for my father, and it was more to GPS locate him in case we couldn't find him, not to notify us if he left somewhere. Sorry, that's one feature I don't know much about that your site listed. We have used our alarm for 2 years, and first year was just under $500, and this year $25
Not sure if you quoted me by mistake here, but my reference was in response to the OP’s question of why every parent doesn’t have this. If you have a non-verbal or autistic child who escapes this would make sense, that’s who it’s being marketed to. But every parent should definitely not have this. If you’re a parent of a neurotypical child, LoJacking them with a device they can’t remove or turn off (so you can see where they are and who they’re with and listen in on their conversations every minute of the day) is pretty disturbing and will definitely lead to your child resenting you for the invasion of privacy and lack of trust, thus the Black Mirror reference.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1660 posts
937 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
jerrysiz wrote:
Oct 21st, 2019 8:05 pm
Not sure if you quoted me by mistake here, but my reference was in response to the OP’s question of why every parent doesn’t have this. If you have a non-verbal or autistic child who escapes this would make sense, that’s who it’s being marketed to. But every parent should definitely not have this. If you’re a parent of a neurotypical child, LoJacking them with a device they can’t remove or turn off (so you can see where they are and who they’re with and listen in on their conversations every minute of the day) is pretty disturbing and will definitely lead to your child resenting you for the invasion of privacy and lack of trust, thus the Black Mirror reference.
Sorry, I was lol at your black mirror episode. Some how it misquotes...
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
3228 posts
480 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote:
Oct 21st, 2019 10:43 pm
Sorry, I was lol at your black mirror episode. Some how it misquotes...
No problem. I can totally see some overprotective parents using this technology in that way though. I was making a joke, but I guess it’s only funny if you’re not that parent’s kid. That episode was a little on-the-nose, but apparently very prescient. Helicopter parents just don’t know when to stop.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5619 posts
1887 upvotes
Aurora
Our family just uses Google Maps Location Sharing. Each member shares. It wont work with small kids with no phone but we find it's adequate. Also Samsung Find My Mobile works in a pinch for Samsung phones.