Automotive

Traction, TPMS, Steering and Engine lights on in 2015 Honda Accord.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2018 7:15 am
[OP]
Nov 3, 2014
61 posts
17 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON

Traction, TPMS, Steering and Engine lights on in 2015 Honda Accord.

Checked everything and nothing is leaking. The car is driving fine. Another thing I noticed is that around the speedometer it just stays the color of white instead of going green to let me know I'm not using much gas.

Could it be a bad battery? Any insight/opinion is greatly appreciated.
60 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32597 posts
6882 upvotes
Ottawa
I am quite sure it is not the battery as other things would be affected.
Something got messed up with your vehicles computer. I cannot think of the common denominator of these items so the only think can recommend is go to a dealer to get them to do the diagnostic. It will cost you to get this done.
I suggest a dealer as they will have the latest software and service bulletins for your vehicle.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
[OP]
Nov 3, 2014
61 posts
17 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Thanks, Pete_Coach. Its at the dealer right now and they are doing a full electrical diagnostic.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10301 posts
9468 upvotes
Oakville
Sound like you have a bad ground wire, but a few of those things could caused by a bad ABS sensor/tone ring.
Before going to the dealer, you could try disconnecting your battery for a few hours to reset the computer, then reconnect it and see if it comes back.
If you have a $10 OBDII reader you could look up the actual faults.
I wouldn't completely rule out the battery, as some cars do get screwy with low voltage, but that's an easy check with a multimeter.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27110 posts
13118 upvotes
Ottawa
It could very well be related to the battery.
My vehicle lights up like a Christmas tree when there's an issue with the battery, ie: loose connection or dying.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10301 posts
9468 upvotes
Oakville
ThomasHunter wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 9:53 am
Thanks, Pete_Coach. Its at the dealer right now and they are doing a full electrical diagnostic.
ouch, I hope it's under warranty or that's going to be a painful bill.
You don't happen to have any aftermarket electronics installed do you? (hardwired dashcam/backup cam, remote start, aftermarket HID lights, etc).
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32597 posts
6882 upvotes
Ottawa
ThomasHunter wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 9:53 am
They have the tools. Sometimes you need to go to the correct place. Keep us informed. I am curious as to what they find.
engineered wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 10:53 am
You don't happen to have any aftermarket electronics installed do you? (hardwired dashcam/backup cam, remote start, aftermarket HID lights, etc).
Sometimes you need to know who can actually diagnose propyl and while it is not for free, neither is swinging and missing and parts changing but still having the problem.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10301 posts
9468 upvotes
Oakville
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 12:38 pm
They have the tools. Sometimes you need to go to the correct place. Keep us informed. I am curious as to what they find.

Sometimes you need to know who can actually diagnose propyl and while it is not for free, neither is swinging and missing and parts changing but still having the problem.
Yea, it depends how urgent/desperate you are. No guarantees going to a dealer either. Often finding others with the same problem on the internet is needed to tell the dealership what to do.
[OP]
Nov 3, 2014
61 posts
17 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
engineered wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 10:53 am
Right now I am under a comprehensive warranty and was told some things will be covered. The diagnostic will not be covered so a financial ouch indeed ($135) in the next couple of hours regardless. I also do not have any aftermarket electronic parts installed on the car.

One past issue that occurred less than two weeks ago was that I was getting a slow leak in the driver side front tire. Usually the TPMS would have notified me after a certain amount of air was lost, but it never activated. I took it to a nearby garage where they simply put a plug in (watched him do everything) and put the tire back on. He never calibrated the system.

I will give the thread an update when they let me know what they found.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
10712 posts
5147 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like a mega maxi fuse.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
[OP]
Nov 3, 2014
61 posts
17 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
It shows a steering wheel with an exclamation point beside it.

Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10086 posts
4184 upvotes
Brampton
derass wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 2:04 pm
What's a steering light?
EPS = Electric Power Steering. if there's a fault it'll light up.

Also you better believe that the dealer is no better at diagnosing these problems.

Check this video out. I bet 90% of the time dealers would not be this dedicated to doing a diagnostic on a car.
[OP]
Nov 3, 2014
61 posts
17 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Update:

Cylinder 2 and 4 are misfiring. Going to need new coils and plugs. About $1000 is the estimate.
They are not recommending I drive it so I have to get a rental.