Green / Eco-Friendly

Trade in pop cans and beer bottles for minimal amounts of cash?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2009 6:09 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2481 posts
129 upvotes
York

Trade in pop cans and beer bottles for minimal amounts of cash?

A friend joked about it, you drink 500 beers and trade them in so you can make enough money to buy 1 more. It says "return for refund where applicable" on the back of the can of Pepsi i'm drinking right now.

What I wanted to know is if there was a place in the GTA where you could actually trade in pop cans and beer bottles for cash?
25 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18500 posts
930 upvotes
soul_taker wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2009 9:07 pm
A friend joked about it, you drink 500 beers and trade them in so you can make enough money to buy 1 more. It says "return for refund where applicable" on the back of the can of Pepsi i'm drinking right now.

What I wanted to know is if there was a place in the GTA where you could actually trade in pop cans and beer bottles for cash?
Its this some kind of joke???

You bring beer bottles back to the beer store. You bring pop bottles and cans back to bottle depots.

Do people seriously not know this?
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1106 posts
82 upvotes
Markham
In Ontario they don't actually have this. You could pull a Newman and Kramer and head out to Quebec to turn them in for cash.
Aug 17, 2008
665 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
you can put you get very minimal money for pop cans, I think we need to start this in Ontario, id be glad to see it. It's good for the environment too.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18500 posts
930 upvotes
z24driver1986 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2009 11:08 pm
you can put you get very minimal money for pop cans, I think we need to start this in Ontario, id be glad to see it. It's good for the environment too.
Actually w have it here in NB and I know of no one who collects cans or bottles. Not only that but we have to pay deposit on all tetra packs, drink boxes, 2L juice cartons, you name it. And no one saves them they all just get thrown out anyway, or if you are lucky thrown into the blue box.

Why? Because the program is so poor and the return is not worh the time.

Consider, you pay 10 cents deposit and get back 5 cents - right off the bat you are losing money (the gvt. says they use the difference to pay for the program).

But then consider, you collect 3 *LARGE* garbage bags full of these bottles, it takes you weeks and weeks to months, stinking up your house in the meantime, and then have to drive them to a depot - to collect - $3. You probably spent more than $3 in gas doing that driving, and caused more pollution than the recycling offsets.

The only people who return pop cans and bottles for deposit are the homeless and large charity groups who run bins in malls and schools.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
2623 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
You don't have this in Ontario, because Ontario comes to your house to pick it up. In turn Ontario makes the money cashing in your pop cans.
z24driver1986 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2009 11:08 pm

i'm not kinky at all! just kinky for HOT deals. i swear!

Sale: Jailbroken Apple TV 2 - $100
Sale: LG G4 Promo Kit (oem battery, charge cradle & 32gb microsd) - $60
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2003
1093 posts
58 upvotes
lol. In ottawa, you can (could? dunno if you still can) buy pop in ottawa since ontario doesn't charge deposit, then return the cans in hull for like 5 cents each or something

profit!
Nov 24, 2005
697 posts
5 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Our Scouting group collects pop cans, flattens them and then they are put in clear leaf bags. We then take them to the scrap yard. Before Xmas we were getting approx. $0.70 per pound. Now it's down to $0.25 a pound.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18500 posts
930 upvotes
You could build one of these home-made aluminium forges to melt them down and our into a mould - could make some cool stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW64kNmwYMc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rih84vg3Frk
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
8984 posts
238 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Jan 24th, 2009 8:52 am
Actually w have it here in NB and I know of no one who collects cans or bottles. Not only that but we have to pay deposit on all tetra packs, drink boxes, 2L juice cartons, you name it. And no one saves them they all just get thrown out anyway, or if you are lucky thrown into the blue box.
The best part about returning the bottles in NB was that you didn't have to get out of your car. You didn't have to bring it into the Beer Store...Just drive in and they count it there.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
194 upvotes
rapsrealm wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2009 9:54 pm
In Ontario they don't actually have this. You could pull a Newman and Kramer and head out to Quebec to turn them in for cash.
-=Wraith=- wrote:
Jan 24th, 2009 11:22 am
lol. In ottawa, you can (could? dunno if you still can) buy pop in ottawa since ontario doesn't charge deposit, then return the cans in hull for like 5 cents each or something

profit!

I doubt they would take them since the quebec cans are marked.
Dec 18, 2008
948 posts
22 upvotes
we can return them in BC

you pay an extra 5 cents or 10 cents 30 cents depending on the bottle or can

that money is added at the cashier

but you get it back when you return it

when stocking up on 2L bottles its pretty pricey since they are 30 cents per bottle
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5653 posts
2555 upvotes
Victoria
Spongeg wrote:
Jan 25th, 2009 8:58 pm
we can return them in BC

you pay an extra 5 cents or 10 cents 30 cents depending on the bottle or can

that money is added at the cashier

but you get it back when you return it

when stocking up on 2L bottles its pretty pricey since they are 30 cents per bottle
I think you're a little behind with the deposit values. It's now 5, 10 (alcohol), and 20 cents.
http://www.encorp.ca/cfm/index.cfm?It=907&Id=3&Se=38 :)
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3111 posts
181 upvotes
Calgary
You don't get back the full deposit you paid? That's strange. Possibly because it's gov't run. Here it's private. We simply get screwed in every other type of recycling.

In Alberta you pay deposit when you buy and that's what you get back when you go to the depot. If you don't want to spend the time returning them, don't throw them away, just put them in a bag/box and put them out beside a large city garbage bin and someone will gladly come and get them. There's never a good reason to just throw them in the garbage.

brunes wrote:
Jan 24th, 2009 8:52 am

Why? Because the program is so poor and the return is not worh the time.

Consider, you pay 10 cents deposit and get back 5 cents - right off the bat you are losing money (the gvt. says they use the difference to pay for the program).

But then consider, you collect 3 *LARGE* garbage bags full of these bottles, it takes you weeks and weeks to months, stinking up your house in the meantime, and then have to drive them to a depot - to collect - $3. You probably spent more than $3 in gas doing that driving, and caused more pollution than the recycling offsets.

The only people who return pop cans and bottles for deposit are the homeless and large charity groups who run bins in malls and schools.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2003
1093 posts
58 upvotes
jason9945 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2009 8:35 pm
I doubt they would take them since the quebec cans are marked.
it used to work like 5 years ago when i lived there

it was either Super C or Maxi that had those machines where u just toss in bottles/cans and it spits out your money
× < >