Green / Eco-Friendly

Trade in pop cans and beer bottles for minimal amounts of cash?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2018 12:44 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 4, 2008
206 posts
brunes wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2009 9:49 pm

The only people who return pop cans and bottles for deposit are the homeless and large charity groups who run bins in malls and schools.
:lol: We can buy canned beer and pop on PEI now, but before that I always saved all my cans and plastic bottles that I bought full in NB. And once a year I'd take them all back to the mainland to get my deposit. Paid for the bridge and a bit of gas.

edit: I was recently in Toronto and was shocked to find that cans are not returnable. I wouldn't have expected that.
Mar 20, 2008
185 posts
1 upvote
Hamilton
The recycling centres in Ontario make alot of there money off the aluminum pop cans that we recycle which in turn is less tax money we need to fund the program. Thus if you put a refund on the cans, more people return them to the store instead of the blue box = more tax money needed to fund the recycling program.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10454 posts
1997 upvotes
Nowhere
My sister lived in NS and they were always having can/bottle drives. The scouts, baseball teams, even the school, would send around flyers and then come by the following week to pick up your cans, bottles etc.

I buy Cherry Coke in the US because I can't get it here and I always save my cans and take them back for deposit on my next trip. I always get at least one case free with the deposits. I just rinse the cans and store them in the garage in a garbage bag until my next trip. It takes no effort at all.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8110 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
not a good time to be trading in pop cans for scrap poundage. the price of aluminum is at a 20 or 30 year low, I can't remember the exact date.

you guys who want a trade in value like quebec on pop cans realize that it means the price would go up by 0.05c or whatever right? lol.
Feb 25, 2009
509 posts
33 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Jan 24th, 2009 8:52 am
Actually w have it here in NB and I know of no one who collects cans or bottles. Not only that but we have to pay deposit on all tetra packs, drink boxes, 2L juice cartons, you name it. And no one saves them they all just get thrown out anyway, or if you are lucky thrown into the blue box.

Why? Because the program is so poor and the return is not worh the time.

Consider, you pay 10 cents deposit and get back 5 cents - right off the bat you are losing money (the gvt. says they use the difference to pay for the program).

But then consider, you collect 3 *LARGE* garbage bags full of these bottles, it takes you weeks and weeks to months, stinking up your house in the meantime, and then have to drive them to a depot - to collect - $3. You probably spent more than $3 in gas doing that driving, and caused more pollution than the recycling offsets.

The only people who return pop cans and bottles for deposit are the homeless and large charity groups who run bins in malls and schools.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I rinse out all recyclables and store them in clear plastic bags or boxes (cans, beer bottles, plastic bottles). Every few months I load them in the car and take them through the drive-through recycling depot. They unload them for me, count them, and I get anywhere from $20 to $50 per visit.

I know many, many people that do this.
Jul 4, 2008
206 posts
Ray Oliver wrote:
Mar 4th, 2009 2:42 pm
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I rinse out all recyclables and store them in clear plastic bags or boxes (cans, beer bottles, plastic bottles). Every few months I load them in the car and take them through the drive-through recycling depot. They unload them for me, count them, and I get anywhere from $20 to $50 per visit.

I know many, many people that do this.
Yup. It is only 5 cents, but it is MY 5 cents. ;) And I'm patient enough to let them sit and accumulate.

The depot at the bottom of York Street is rather amusing. Usually pretty busy with 10 or more cars sitting there with the engines running and blocking traffic.
Feb 25, 2009
509 posts
33 upvotes
eastwood wrote:
Mar 6th, 2009 7:33 am
The depot at the bottom of York Street is rather amusing. Usually pretty busy with 10 or more cars sitting there with the engines running and blocking traffic.
That depot is gone, thankfully. It's been moved to a brand new facility in Hanwell.
Jul 4, 2008
206 posts
Ray Oliver wrote:
Mar 6th, 2009 1:53 pm
That depot is gone, thankfully. It's been moved to a brand new facility in Hanwell.
That's good. We've had cans here on PEI now for almost a year so I've had no need to go there.

And when you say 'gone', do you mean torn down or just closed? Next step is to do something about the train station.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76607 posts
1561 upvotes
I make about $500 a year from bringing in bottles and cans. Most are from our house, but I collect them when I go for walks, etc.

it adds up, reason I know is I out the money I make into an ING account to save up for things for my truck.

My daughter who is 9 now does it to. She collects mostly from the house, but when she takes them in shes gets around $10-$20, which to a 9 year old is a lot of money

Shame Ontario doesnt have this, I thought returns were canada wide
Jul 4, 2008
206 posts
Spidey wrote:
Mar 6th, 2009 3:15 pm
I make about $500 a year from bringing in bottles and cans. Most are from our house, but I collect them when I go for walks, etc.
I still do that a little with cans. But before PEI got rid of pop in glass bottles, a 355ml bottle was 20cents and a 750ml was 40cents. It added up quickly and I was pretty religious about scooping them up where ever I saw them.
Feb 25, 2009
509 posts
33 upvotes
eastwood wrote:
Mar 6th, 2009 2:03 pm
And when you say 'gone', do you mean torn down or just closed? Next step is to do something about the train station.
It was torn down. And yeah, hopefully they will do something about the train station. That area could be rejuvenated if it was restored and redeveloped.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 19, 2005
8589 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
GTA still has no place for these pop cans/bottles returned? Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need below items in GTA:
- CT, HD, FS, BB, gas GCs

FS: Freedom Mobile credit
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2616 posts
513 upvotes
Oshawa
soul_taker wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2009 9:07 pm
A friend joked about it, you drink 500 beers and trade them in so you can make enough money to buy 1 more. It says "return for refund where applicable" on the back of the can of Pepsi i'm drinking right now.

What I wanted to know is if there was a place in the GTA where you could actually trade in pop cans and beer bottles for cash?
GOSH! You must be a newbie!

Beer cans, beer bottles, liquor bottles ... return at the Beer Store. It's been like that for DECADES!!!!!

Pop cans? Well ... that I really don't know and don't care. I don't really drink pop much. And when I do, it gets thrown into the blue bin.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Nov 12, 2014
393 posts
200 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Take them to Michigan where you get 10 cents a bottle instead of 5 - just don't get caught up chasing a car with JFKs golf clubs in the back.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1614 posts
444 upvotes
B.C.
can2000 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2018 7:37 pm
GTA still has no place for these pop cans/bottles returned? Thanks
This isn't really a concern unless you happened to be charged a deposit for them in the GTA...