Green / Eco-Friendly

Trade in pop cans and beer bottles for minimal amounts of cash?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2019 2:20 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
834 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
IN BC we are charged a deposit on all kinds of containers. I rinse them, store them in the garage and 3 or 4 times a year drop them of at a recycling depot. There are several located in each city. With the trunk of my car full i usually net about $20.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30497 posts
5037 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Why is everyone replying to a 9 year old post?

First of all, you can not do a Kramer / Newman

Pop cans out of province will not scan in QC or MI
Feb 9, 2017
234 posts
123 upvotes
Ontario’s West Coast
I do it in Ontario I take pop cans to a scrap metal dealer and beer cans/bottles to the beer store
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2019 posts
52 upvotes
In Norway I believe, there's a 95% plastic bottle return rate because there's a tax on all bottles purchased so people return their bottles for a refund. I think the incentive to return is the best method, because otherwise some grumpy folks really don't care.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15962 posts
6139 upvotes
aokec wrote:
Apr 19th, 2019 12:58 pm
In Norway I believe, there's a 95% plastic bottle return rate because there's a tax on all bottles purchased so people return their bottles for a refund. I think the incentive to return is the best method, because otherwise some grumpy folks really don't care.
One big difference is that in Norway (and other European countries) you return your empties at the grocery store in a sort of vending machine. This makes it super convenient. You don't have to save a bunch to make it worthwhile for a trip to the bottle depot - you just bring them with you when you go shopping.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5687 posts
1518 upvotes
Montreal
TrevorK wrote:
Apr 19th, 2019 9:39 pm
One big difference is that in Norway (and other European countries) you return your empties at the grocery store in a sort of vending machine. This makes it super convenient. You don't have to save a bunch to make it worthwhile for a trip to the bottle depot - you just bring them with you when you go shopping.
This is the case in Quebec as well. Most grocery stores, including Costco, have a bottle/can return machine. In fact, any retailer that sells single-use cans and bottles with a deposit is required to accept the empties and refund the deposit, even if they don't sell that specific brand.