• Jul 1st, 2013 2:14 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4944 posts
1027 upvotes
Ottawa
First question, are you buying another car to replace this one? If not, you will take a huge hit no matter what because you don't get the tax back.

If you are buying another car, your best course of action is to find the car you want to buy (but not buy it yet), find a buyer for your car privately and then find a dealer that will allow you to do a 'private sale' through their dealership (basically once you've find a buyer, you'll trade the car into the dealership and then the dealership will sell it to your buyer). The benefit of this is that you'll get a credit on the tax for the sale (trade-in) value of your car. I believe most dealerships will do this and will charge minimal fee (maybe $400 transaction fee). It used to be bad for buyers since they'd have to pay full taxes on it but now in Ontario, full taxes are charged on private sales anyway and if they do it at the dealership, they'll pay tax on the purchase price, if they do it privately, they pay tax on the purchase price or the red book price, whichever is higher.

If you can sell it privately through a dealer and get the tax credit on your purchase, you might not do so bad but you'll still probably take a significant hit unless you got a really good deal when you bought it.

Good luck.
Dec 4, 2011
910 posts
273 upvotes
Montreal
She already pulled the trigger

[QUOTE]it's over
done

i got the frs, and the golf is gone/will be once the frs is ready for a pick up

no more discussion on this issue from me.......it's painful to think about the $$$ i lost, but i can now look forward to being happy in my car, and hopefully stop moaning about the one i lost back in december[/QUOTE]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9127 posts
261 upvotes
In for the post about sliding all over the road in the winter ;)
it's me ramin.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1049 posts
295 upvotes
Dartmouth
Where do we go to get on the list to buy an FRS at a big discount in 6 months when the OP tries to drive it in the winter.?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39729 posts
5910 upvotes
King City
I guess congrats? How come you didn't go for the BRZ out of curiosity?
Proud to be an Indian.
May 22, 2005
19313 posts
4384 upvotes
Thornhill
djemzine wrote:
Jun 28th, 2013 11:56 am
Easy to find probably.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1613 posts
230 upvotes
Newmarket
djemzine wrote:
Jun 28th, 2013 11:56 am
couldn't even find one to take a look at, let alone test drive....the only way to see one would be to buy it first, and then wait for it to get shipped....didn't want to do that
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39729 posts
5910 upvotes
King City
jelena-c wrote:
Jun 28th, 2013 7:30 pm
couldn't even find one to take a look at, let alone test drive....the only way to see one would be to buy it first, and then wait for it to get shipped....didn't want to do that
Ah gotcha! Didn't know they were in low supply :S
Proud to be an Indian.
8695 posts
1047 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Jun 28th, 2013 7:58 pm
Possibly not because of high demand for them, they are just in short supply. I haven't even seen a single one of those BRZs. I seen a lot of FRSs though.

I hope the trade is worth the few grand she has loss.
Feb 1, 2010
304 posts
73 upvotes
Sorry but not only was this a poor move financially but let's me be honest - you bought this car for you with nothing else in mind. :(
Hope you enjoy the car though!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1613 posts
230 upvotes
Newmarket
djemzine wrote:
Jun 28th, 2013 7:58 pm
i read somewhere that for 1 brz there's 3 frs made...something about the toyota, subaru contract.....so i couldn't see a brz back in february when i was without a car, and couldn't find one now
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25122 posts
10003 upvotes
Toronto
I thought I saw a couple of BRZ @ Maple Subaru yesterday. They were parked out at the front door.

As for FRS, they can't be in short supply because the Toyota dealer close to my office, there are two FRSs have been sitting there for well over 4 / 5 months.

jelena-c wrote:
Jun 28th, 2013 9:18 pm
i read somewhere that for 1 brz there's 3 frs made...something about the toyota, subaru contract.....so i couldn't see a brz back in february when i was without a car, and couldn't find one now
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2922 posts
69 upvotes
Post some pics when you pick her up. =)
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12774 posts
9159 upvotes
Richmond Hill
My buddy bought a BRZ with no probs...

BRZ > FRS