• Feb 12th, 2019 12:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2096 posts
546 upvotes
Woodbridge

Trademark Laws - Apparel

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction here. I teach a Grade 8 class and we're participating in an activity called the Entrepreneurial Adventure facilitated by The Learning Partnership and BMO. Essentially, kids run businesses and learn about marketing, generating start-up capital, tracking sales, generating orders, managing inventory etc.

One of the groups wants to sell hoodies and t-shirts with the word "drip" on them. Apparently "drip" means something to kids these days. What do I know? They're going to be using the vendor that our school uses for athletic apparel and grad hoodies etc. and have their logo (a stylized version of the word drip that they designed) printed on each hoodie. They did a search online and found this site: https://dripapparelclothing.com/.

We're learning about trademarks and copyright laws and I'm wondering what the process is to see if this https://dripapparelclothing.com/ is registered in Canada or what applicable laws might be. I did a search for the word "drip" in the Canadian Trademarks Database with the Vienna code for Textiles, clothing, sewing accessories, headwear, footwear and found no results. Is this a comprehensive search? Are there other databases that we should look at? Can a common word even be trademarked?

Also, all profit generated by these businesses is donated to charity and hoodies are sold locally within the school community, if that matters.

Any insight that you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8003 posts
4731 upvotes
Edmonton
I have no idea about the trademark laws, but my first thought is to continue the kids education by finding a lawyer who would come in to give a discussion. Maybe a parent, maybe someone from a local school, etc...

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2096 posts
546 upvotes
Woodbridge
CNeufeld wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 11:53 am
I have no idea about the trademark laws, but my first thought is to continue the kids education by finding a lawyer who would come in to give a discussion. Maybe a parent, maybe someone from a local school, etc...

C
That's a great idea. Anybody in the Richmond Hill area that fits this description and is willing to come by and talk about the legal side of starting a business, branding, copyright, IP, trademarks etc. shoot me a PM. I'll reach out to our parent community as well and see if we've got that.