Automotive

Traditional battery booster vs Lithium Ion?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 6:33 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4656 posts
169 upvotes

Traditional battery booster vs Lithium Ion?

So I'm in the market for one. My car battery is new but I did get stranded when it didn't start a few weeks ago. I thought it might be a good idea to pick one of these portable boosters up in case.

This one is coming up for sale at CT, it seems to be a Stanley clone/rebrand? but it has an AGM battery in it. $99 next week http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motom ... p.html#srp

Then there is the NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000 which is $127 right now on amazon.ca

I watched a long youtube review about it and I'm aware that if I'm stuck in -20C for a cold start the Noco might not be able to boost if the voltage on the battery is too low, so I see the value of the older style boosters. But they're kind of massive and I don't have a garage to maintain it. I have to bring it indoors.

For reference I'm driving a Mazda 3 and my wife drives a Corolla so we're not boosting a V8 here. Thoughts?
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6631 posts
1772 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I would go with the smaller portable charger as it's much easier to take along with you and if you take it along, then you'll have a better chance to use it. As for cold weather, the performance on booster packs will suffer to some degree in cold weather (yes, even the AGM ones will drop a bit) - the question would be is it enough of a drop for small car? Also, with a small booster, you can always put the booster in your jacket pocket to warm it up for 5 or 10 minutes before boosting if there is an issue with the cold! Try doing that with a larger unit...

Besides, small units are easier to maintain - ie. carry into the house and plugging it in to charge.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16278 posts
4932 upvotes
Ottawa
I recommend that bigger Stanley model.
I can't count the number of times, security at my work used it to help boost an employee's vehicle.

It can hold a charge for a few weeks at minimum and around 10lbs.
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 12:57 am
So I'm in the market for one. My car battery is new but I did get stranded when it didn't start a few weeks ago. I thought it might be a good idea to pick one of these portable boosters up in case.

This one is coming up for sale at CT, it seems to be a Stanley clone/rebrand? but it has an AGM battery in it. $99 next week http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motom ... p.html#srp

Then there is the NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000 which is $127 right now on amazon.ca

I watched a long youtube review about it and I'm aware that if I'm stuck in -20C for a cold start the Noco might not be able to boost if the voltage on the battery is too low, so I see the value of the older style boosters. But they're kind of massive and I don't have a garage to maintain it. I have to bring it indoors.

For reference I'm driving a Mazda 3 and my wife drives a Corolla so we're not boosting a V8 here. Thoughts?
OP thanks for the heads up on the MotoMaster Eliminator I was considering this one because it has all the essentials for a stranded car, ie booster, USB charging for phones, and an air compressor! We all have those days when a tire's air gets low and it's hard to find a gas station right away if your driving in the country side. Definitely a christmas stuffer, but will this go any lower then $99?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16278 posts
4932 upvotes
Ottawa
kabyLake wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 6:49 am
OP thanks for the heads up on the MotoMaster Eliminator I was considering this one because it has all the essentials for a stranded car, ie booster, USB charging for phones, and an air compressor! We all have those days when a tire's air gets low and it's hard to find a gas station right away if your driving in the country side. Definitely a christmas stuffer, but will this go any lower then $99?
Likely not.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6631 posts
1772 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 6:25 am
I recommend that bigger Stanley model.
I can't count the number of times, security at my work used it to help boost an employee's vehicle.

It can hold a charge for a few weeks at minimum and around 10lbs.
But that might be a different use case. If it was siting in an office waiting to be used, then size and weight isn't so much of an issue. However, if it's the trunk or the hatch being driven around, it may be taking up valuable space.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
3579 posts
839 upvotes
Canuckland
Stay away from NOCO they are a real POS.

They last 2 boost tops on a small sedan.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16278 posts
4932 upvotes
Ottawa
craftsman wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 1:51 pm
But that might be a different use case. If it was siting in an office waiting to be used, then size and weight isn't so much of an issue. However, if it's the trunk or the hatch being driven around, it may be taking up valuable space.
It's smaller than a kids backpack!
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
1968 posts
898 upvotes
Montreal
It's still a good chunk sitting in the trunk for people with smaller cars. I looked at one for years but never got it for that reason.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6631 posts
1772 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 2:24 pm
It's smaller than a kids backpack!
A lithium booster is about the size of a paperback and doesn't weigh 10 lbs.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16278 posts
4932 upvotes
Ottawa
craftsman wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:43 pm
A lithium booster is about the size of a paperback and doesn't weigh 10 lbs.
Yeah and even the smallest econobox can stow a full grown adult in the trunk! LMAO
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12142 posts
1933 upvotes
London
Oni-kun wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 12:57 am
There's something weird going on with the NOCO specs. The Amazon comments show the rated li-ion battery capacity is only 5600mAH (USB) and delivers only 200A actual.

The Princess Auto pack (7800mAH rated) from hot deals delivers 5200 mAH (USB tested) for a lot cheaper
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6631 posts
1772 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:50 pm
Yeah and even the smallest econobox can stow a full grown adult in the trunk! LMAO
You can stow an adult into the trunk of a Smart car? Without cutting them into pieces? I would like to see that.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16278 posts
4932 upvotes
Ottawa
craftsman wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:39 am
You can stow an adult into the trunk of a Smart car? Without cutting them into pieces? I would like to see that.
For a Smart car, the product I recommended is even more useful as it has a built in inflator.
Unless, you know something I don't about Smart cars that would require a battery booster???
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3566 posts
540 upvotes
Problem with these booster is that you have to charge it once a while or it will slowly loose the battery power. I had one with AGM battery before. It's heavy to carry around or charging it. Eventually battery died when I forgot to charge it.

Bought a Lithium ion one from Costco. It worked on my co-worker's vehicle with no problem. I can charge it anytime and use as a flashlight or phone charger. Have to agree with Craftsman said.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8