Travel

Train, Bus, Flight - All options are sold out in UK (Dec 25) HELP!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2009 4:00 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3196 posts
30 upvotes

Train, Bus, Flight - All options are sold out in UK (Dec 25) HELP!

I need advice on local UK travel. HELP!

I will be traveling from Ottawa and will be landing in either London or Manchester on Dec-25 or Dec-26. None of the trains, coaches, and flights seem have any tickets on Dec-25 from London to Lancaster (or) Manchester to Lancaster. Even on Dec-26, trains and coaches are full. I checked Virgin Train website, National Rail website, TransPennine Express website (for trains), and National Express website (for coaches).

Most of the car rental places are also closed. I could take a 'local' bus from Manchester to Preston and another local bus from Preston to Lancaster, but not sure whether I can carry two 23kg suitcases and hand luggage in local buses and whether I can book in advance.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know any alternate websites for trains and coaches?
HEATWARE 47+ : BST 27+ : EBAY 212+ (links on request)
2 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3237 posts
27 upvotes
The UK takes their Christmas holidays more seriously than us. Very little is open.

From National Rail:
[QUOTE]Christmas Day services

There are no services running on Christmas Day except for the following:

* Gatwick Express will be running a half-hourly bus service between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport from 06:30
* Heathrow Express will be running a half-hourly train service between London Paddington and Heathrow Airport from 05:30 until 14:00. After 14:00 a half-hourly bus service will run.

Boxing Day services

On Boxing Day, limited train services will run in parts of Scotland and South East England. For details of the services that will be running, please check the TOCs information page:

* Eurostar
* First Capital Connect
* Gatwick Express
* Heathrow Express
* Stansted Express
* ScotRail
* Southeastern
* Southern

Services will also be running on the London Underground.[/QUOTE]

And according to National Express, they aren't running buses on Christmas Day, although they are running on Boxing Day.

I can find a bus leaving London on the 26th for Lancaster at 7pm, arriving at 2.45am on the 27th on the National Express website. I can't see anything better.

Any chances you can arrange to land a day earlier or later?
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3196 posts
30 upvotes
wow, i didn't expect everything to be closed!!
thanks for the advice... i will try to change my dates.
HEATWARE 47+ : BST 27+ : EBAY 212+ (links on request)