None
[OP]
Mar 3, 2010
20 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

Tranny fluid turning black very rapidly

Hey, this is about my dad's car.

Apparently he changed the trannsmission fluid at 88k at the dealership. Car is still under warranty till 100k.

So today I went to change his oil for him. Now the car has 94k on it. Noticed the new tranny fluid is dark, kind of black. I looked at his receipt from the dealership and it didn't specify if they flushed it or not. I'm gonna have to call them tomorrow and ask.

Anyway, it looked terrible... How does it turn to this color in a mere 6k (2-3 months)? The transmission seems fine, he had this car from the beginning, never beat on it, never drove in hilly conditions, towed stuff, etc.

Do you think I should ask the dealer to look into it? Considering the car is under warranty still?

Thanks.
8 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11891 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
Important: what car is it?
Deal with it.
Sep 23, 2007
901 posts
6 upvotes
Coffee Addict wrote:
Aug 16th, 2010 5:29 pm
Hey, this is about my dad's car.

Apparently he changed the trannsmission fluid at 88k at the dealership. Car is still under warranty till 100k.

So today I went to change his oil for him. Now the car has 94k on it. Noticed the new tranny fluid is dark, kind of black. I looked at his receipt from the dealership and it didn't specify if they flushed it or not. I'm gonna have to call them tomorrow and ask.

Anyway, it looked terrible... How does it turn to this color in a mere 6k (2-3 months)? The transmission seems fine, he had this car from the beginning, never beat on it, never drove in hilly conditions, towed stuff, etc.

Do you think I should ask the dealer to look into it? Considering the car is under warranty still?

Thanks.
Is it a Ford with Mercon fluid? If so then don't worry too much about it, just change it.

If it's a GM vehicle with Dexron fluid, you are officially screwed. Don't change the fluid, get ready to sell the car.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13015 posts
3790 upvotes
It's possible they just drained the fluid, and what you're experiencing is the dirty fluid from the torque converter mixing with the new fluid. I would ask them to clarify whether they just drained it or did a flush.

Because the car is under warranty and the transmission work was done at the dealer your father should have a solid case to have it looked at under warranty if it turned black this quickly after being flushed.

If it was just drained, well, I'd assume they'd tell you that and you may not have any recourse.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25446 posts
2678 upvotes
Ottawa
TrevorK is spot on.
They just drained the pan and left 65% of the fluid still in the transmission (in the converter actually). It will turn dark within 10 minutes of driving.
Having said that, there is really nothing wrong. Before the advent of the flush machines, this was the way it was done.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
3849 posts
186 upvotes
Guelph, ON
This is why a BG flush is the way to go, drain and fill doesn't do much.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
5922 posts
151 upvotes
Murica
TrevorK wrote:
Aug 16th, 2010 6:19 pm
It's possible they just drained the fluid, and what you're experiencing is the dirty fluid from the torque converter mixing with the new fluid. I would ask them to clarify whether they just drained it or did a flush.

Because the car is under warranty and the transmission work was done at the dealer your father should have a solid case to have it looked at under warranty if it turned black this quickly after being flushed.

If it was just drained, well, I'd assume they'd tell you that and you may not have any recourse.
+1
depending on the car and the type of tranny.
typical cars with torque convert, lots of oil still in torque converter. about 2-3 litres left. Only thing you can do is get a tranny flush, get it done a good shop with the machine. Better to pay a little bit more and get the flush.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5723 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
I always make that mistake, I forget about the torque converter in cars with automatic transmissions :)

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
× < >