Cell Phones

Transfer to Chatr possible with Rogers bill overdue?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2016 9:48 pm
Feb 23, 2015
376 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Transfer to Chatr possible with Rogers bill overdue?

I have a friend (in Georgetown, ON) who talks too much on the phone, just local calls.
He has the Rogers ($37/mo) plan with 400 mins local/month of free usage.
He has racked up a bill of over $200 in the last 2 months going over his limit.

I am trying to help him, need suggestions...

1- Call Rogers to beg them to cancel the $200 and charge him $25/mo since he is a poor senior, likely to work?
2- Change over to Chatr's $25/mo unlimited plan. Can he do a number transfer to Chatr when the Rogers bill is unpaid?
Then I could suggest he get a new account and # from Chatr.
Are there any hidden costs when getting the Chatr $25/mo plan?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1209 upvotes
Montreal
1. begging no working
2. transfer out won't work because of outstanding balance due

Just close the account. Then allocate 15% of his fixed income to this Rogers account until it's paid.
Then proceed to open another account, and make sure the plan fits his needs.
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham
BizDeveloper wrote: I have a friend (in Georgetown, ON) who talks too much on the phone, just local calls.
He has the Rogers ($37/mo) plan with 400 mins local/month of free usage.
He has racked up a bill of over $200 in the last 2 months going over his limit.

I am trying to help him, need suggestions...

1- Call Rogers to beg them to cancel the $200 and charge him $25/mo since he is a poor senior, likely to work?
2- Change over to Chatr's $25/mo unlimited plan. Can he do a number transfer to Chatr when the Rogers bill is unpaid?
Then I could suggest he get a new account and # from Chatr.
Are there any hidden costs when getting the Chatr $25/mo plan?
- Begging ... don't even bother ... who's fault is it to over use? Ever thought about changing plans for a start? That would have been an option since he was aware of the minutes not being enough.

- Moving to Chatr ... sure .. he can port to Chatr ... just tell Chatr his phone number and Rogers account number. Then he would be left with a delinquent account balance with Rogers ... if it is not paid ... it will go to collections ... that would screw his credit ..

So ... his choice.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
If you switch to a higher plan like the $40 unlimited calling plan, they may do something about this bill. Can always play dumb, but never aggressive or angry. Remember, you are trying to get them on your side and garner sympathy.