Tags:
None
May 29, 2012
743 posts
40 upvotes
MAPLE RIDGE

Transfering to Ivey?

Anyone have experience with this?

I'm a third-year at UBC, majoring in Math. But I'm beginning to doubt I can get a GPA high enough in this major here for law- which is my first choice- and I don't really like it to begin with. Also, when I apply for co-op jobs and window-shop real job postings most of them want something more practical, like engineering or business. It seems like a BA in Math is undesirable and I don't feel like ending up with an useless degree in case I do not make it and rather, in that case- end up with a Business undergrad as a backup. I'm not the typical Finance kid who wants to score an investment banking placement but I just want something better than a BA just in case I do not get into anything useful after my bachelor's.

Only thing I'm worried about is getting in. They state that they want a very good 1 year- which I have: 88% in first year, but my year 2 sucks (63) and this year I might level off at around 75-77 at best. However the really bad year 2 was mostly science courses that have nothing to do with business or math. I do have a variety of extracurricular activities from 2-3 years back, but all I've been doing last year and this is working.

edit: looked up the price of this on their website and seems horribly expensive just for an undergrad... forget it :(
UBC Year 3 BA Student: Major in Mathematics
Unrealistic dream :cry: : Law school...
Goal: Pursue a MA in Economics and a designation- CFA maybe?
Vancouver is nice if you have money and like the rain...
6 replies
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
122 upvotes
You seem all over the place, do you want to do business, law, economics or that other unnamed program you mentioned. It seems all so confusing what you want. And why would you spend 84k on hba and then another 80k on law. seems to me you'd be better off just choosing one you intend to do after graduation. If you want to do business, then just finish your math/econ degree and applyto where you want.

Even if you get into Ivey which I am skeptical because you seem to have a very borderline average for getting in, you still probably won't have good enough grades to get the top jobs to justify your tutition due to your previous low grades. Those other kids in Ivey who were admitted directly and kept their A average, are going to have a clear edge in grades over you for internships, so your chance of getting into I banking and consulting is basically zero. So you are going to be transferring into a program where you have basically no shot of getting the only jobs that may actually justify the high cost which I highly discourage you from doing. Why are you going to pay 64k in tuition plus 20k in living expenses or so =84k just to land an average job? Seems to me you have a debt wish. My friend from Ivey now tells me it was just all bs marketing, and that they are very good at marketing their program but its not what it use to be. Why you would want to jump into a grossly over supplied field (finance or consulting) when Math grads are actually is in high demand (stem) is beyond me. The most useful degree you could probably get is a math one followed by a masters in math. Throw in the securities course and you have a better chance getting a job on the trading floor or as an actuary than half the mbas.

Law school may not be a bad choice for you but I am curious if you are actually good in writing because most people who are great in math are not very good in writing. Its expensive and is another 3 years plus articling before you even make full time salary, you are basically foregoing 150k.
[OP]
May 29, 2012
743 posts
40 upvotes
MAPLE RIDGE
jungeon wrote:
Jan 26th, 2013 6:25 pm
You seem all over the place, do you want to do business, law, economics or that other unnamed program you mentioned. It seems all so confusing what you want. And why would you spend 84k on hba and then another 80k on law. seems to me you'd be better off just choosing one you intend to do after graduation. If you want to do business, then just finish your math/econ degree and applyto where you want.

Even if you get into Ivey which I am skeptical because you seem to have a very borderline average for getting in, you still probably won't have good enough grades to get the top jobs to justify your tutition due to your previous low grades. Those other kids in Ivey who were admitted directly and kept their A average, are going to have a clear edge in grades over you for internships, so your chance of getting into I banking and consulting is basically zero. So you are going to be transferring into a program where you have basically no shot of getting the only jobs that may actually justify the high cost which I highly discourage you from doing. Why are you going to pay 64k in tuition plus 20k in living expenses or so =84k just to land an average job? Seems to me you have a debt wish. My friend from Ivey now tells me it was just all bs marketing, and that they are very good at marketing their program but its not what it use to be. Why you would want to jump into a grossly over supplied field (finance or consulting) when Math grads are actually is in high demand (stem) is beyond me. The most useful degree you could probably get is a math one followed by a masters in math. Throw in the securities course and you have a better chance getting a job on the trading floor or as an actuary than half the mbas.

Law school may not be a bad choice for you but I am curious if you are actually good in writing because most people who are great in math are not very good in writing. Its expensive and is another 3 years plus articling before you even make full time salary, you are basically foregoing 150k.
Yeah I know my grades suck. I just don't see myself getting a high GPA in a pure math degree (at least here) for law requirements and don't want to be stuck with a theoretical BA in case I do not get in. I'm having issues just trying to get a co-op term because most of them ask for engineering or business background. I do window shop jobs on a regular basis and seems like a math degree isn't very well looked upon. It seems like employers want a more practical one. But then I keep getting mixed answers about the usefulness of a math degree- some tell me it's really good, but I've had an Integral Calculus instructor in first-year tell me that she had horrific experience finding a good job with a Master's in Math.

I do like the idea of mixing some sort of securities course in case I do have to end up doing this math degree though or some sort of post-graduate finance program. Is there a reason why this would be superior than the bread-and-butter business degree?
UBC Year 3 BA Student: Major in Mathematics
Unrealistic dream :cry: : Law school...
Goal: Pursue a MA in Economics and a designation- CFA maybe?
Vancouver is nice if you have money and like the rain...
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3043 posts
326 upvotes
Toronto
forthewinwin wrote:
Jan 26th, 2013 7:52 pm
Yeah I know my grades suck. I just don't see myself getting a high GPA in a pure math degree (at least here) for law requirements and don't want to be stuck with a theoretical BA in case I do not get in. I'm having issues just trying to get a co-op term because most of them ask for engineering or business background. I do window shop jobs on a regular basis and seems like a math degree isn't very well looked upon. It seems like employers want a more practical one. But then I keep getting mixed answers about the usefulness of a math degree.
Forget about transferring or switching programs and go find a career counsellor. The fact that you've posted multiple threads on wanting to switch from one program to another to another to another indicates that you really don't know what to do. I'd suggest asking UBC career services department if they'd recommend a private counsellor for you. A counsellor is so much cheaper than spending thousands of dollars not knowing what you want to do in life.

I didn't know what I wanted to be when I was at school and a counsellor really narrowed down the choices and now I'm in a field that I would have never guessed that I'd be in when I was university.

FYI: You're at the very bare minimum for getting into IVEY.
Mar 11, 2012
287 posts
40 upvotes
I'm just curious -- why are you so determined for law? People you know are lawyers?
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2907 posts
63 upvotes
OP always complains about Chinese parents and their riches, maybe thats why he wants a decent job. But by his post history, he seems all over the place..
Banned
Jul 8, 2009
4006 posts
122 upvotes
forthewinwin wrote:
Jan 26th, 2013 7:52 pm
Yeah I know my grades suck. I just don't see myself getting a high GPA in a pure math degree (at least here) for law requirements and don't want to be stuck with a theoretical BA in case I do not get in. I'm having issues just trying to get a co-op term because most of them ask for engineering or business background. I do window shop jobs on a regular basis and seems like a math degree isn't very well looked upon. It seems like employers want a more practical one. But then I keep getting mixed answers about the usefulness of a math degree- some tell me it's really good, but I've had an Integral Calculus instructor in first-year tell me that she had horrific experience finding a good job with a Master's in Math.

I do like the idea of mixing some sort of securities course in case I do have to end up doing this math degree though or some sort of post-graduate finance program. Is there a reason why this would be superior than the bread-and-butter business degree?
Also I'd add with your b- average your chance of getting into law school looks slim, not impossible but unlikely without work experience. Especially throw in your lack of writing courses and admissions will be skeptical of how you'll perform. They also tend to have a social science bias believing that other degrees can get real jobs and its the person with a sociology degree only real chance. And even if you get in, without having an A coming from a non u of t school(which you probably won't get in), what are your job prospects going to be like. Ontario had to reform articling because too many lawyerscouldn'tfind work. At best you'll earn no more than you would of otherwise. When you consider that you will spend 4 years to become a lawyer and another 7 before you have a shot to make partner, one has to ask if there is a better way to make 100k+ than spending 11 years of your life doing it working insane hours in a stressful/hostile environment where you just bicker ever day.

Many business grads are not good in math. Some are, the ones who get As in finance and stats, but most are good enough to just scratch out an A- in an easier math like high school calculus but would struggle with the more difficult types of math. Math is important for many jobs and some of the best jobs on wall street and bay street are held by masters in maths with a securities license particularly around trading, algorithmic trading, hedge funds and venture capital organizations. They need people with a strong math background. I don't know when she graduated, it could have been a time when the economy was down or there was lots of math smart people from hong kong coming or if she had bad grades or poor social skills and blew the interviews or if she was plain ignorant to jobs available to her (this was likely the pre-internet age) so it'd not be uncommon.

Finish your degree, try to find a job, if nothing, try engineering, at least you'll be doing something you like that pays well where there are many jobs in the oil industry.
× < >